New rules at Udon Thani immigration?

alex88

I wanted to send an agent to the immigration office to get me a visa extension but she said there are new rules and that I need to go with her, and that we now need to make appointments to get in. Last time I went to Udon immigration I was able to walk in at my leisure. Are there new rules there now about making appointments?

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

what's the point of the agent then? unless they are passing on a bribe

That's what I thought. The whole point was so I wouldn't have to go in and sit and wait. If I have to go with her then I may as well not use an agent. But my question was about making appointments. Do we need to make appointments now to go into immigration?

Edited by alex88

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I never unerstood why one should need an agent if he fulfilles the requirements.

Even less if you have to go with him. Better burn the money, that's faster.

Well it makes perfect sense when you don't have time to go to the immigration office. But pointless if you have to go anyway. So can ahybody confirm whether or not Udon Thani now has an appointment only rule? Can we not just walk in anymore?

56 minutes ago, alex88 said:

That's what I thought. The whole point was so I wouldn't have to go in and sit and wait. If I have to go with her then I may as well not use an agent. But my question was about making appointments. Do we need to make appointments now to go into immigration?

Have a look on their website

4 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Have a look on their website

There's nothing on their website. Useless as usual for these websites. The link on the Thai immigration website leads to a dead end for Udon. I checked their Facebook page and it mentions nothing. But that's meaningless since Thailand always makes rules that they don't inform anybody of. So that's why I was hoping somebody could speak from recent experience. 

54 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I never unerstood why one should need an agent if he fulfilles the requirements.

Even less if you have to go with him. Better burn the money, that's faster.

Sometimes a good Thai English speaker/translater can be worth a lot to sort out minor miscommunations, minor omissions, alternate but equivalent things the officer wanted, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex88 said:

Well it makes perfect sense when you don't have time to go to the immigration office. But pointless if you have to go anyway. So can ahybody confirm whether or not Udon Thani now has an appointment only rule? Can we not just walk in anymore?

If you go by yourself, you will wait in line like everyone else. If you accompany your agent who has made an appointment, you will jump any queues. Since you are the only one here who knows what your agent charges, it is up to you if you think it's worth it or not. If your agent isn't charging any extra for your pleasant company, what's the problem?

Your agent knows why you now have to attend in person and so do most other people, with or without an agent, who have been dealing with Udon immigration for the best part of the past year. It's simply the enforcement of the law that's printed on every single extension application you've been signing 'blind'.

Edited by NanLaew

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I did 90 day check in Sept. 28 and nothing said about an appointment. Perhaps an appointment is needed for extension...

Please post outcome... Thanks 

The key here is the 90-day report does not need your picture taken.

All the official forms required for enabling and getting an extension state that they must be filed in person. They have ALWAYS required this but now it is being enforced. Taking a picture of the applicant is also now mandatory so one needs to attend in person. More offices are also using an online form where the digital picture they take is embedded in it.

Let the agent do the talking and you'll be in and out in 5 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Taking a picture of the applicant is also now mandatory so one needs to attend in person.

Good point. Khon Kaen same same.

Never any appointment needed there for me and others.

Last extension in at 9:30h (dead empty), out 10:05h with new stamp.

Unfortunately I have no contacts in Udon.