Former PM Yingluck explains her actions during "Great Flood" of 2011

webfact

man, that is about flood that killed thousands.

Probably the most devastating economically natural event in thai history, more than tsunami in 2004.

This topic is not about thai politics - I hate all politicians.

I am not red - I am against reds, and for an united world without social classes hence without any political parties, any sort of leaders.

I am also against capitalism, which breeds dirty politics and corrupted politicians, so you are shooting blank accusing me of supporting any side even more so of accusing me of supporting corruption

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, internationalism said:

man, that is about flood that killed thousands.

Probably the most devastating economically natural event in thai history, more than tsunami in 2004.

This topic is not about thai politics - I hate all politicians.

I am not red - I am against reds, and for an united world without social classes hence without any political parties, any sort of leaders.

I am also against capitalism, which breeds dirty politics and corrupted politicians, so you are shooting blank accusing me of supporting any side even more so of accusing me of supporting corruption

Deleted

Edited by Bert got kinky

3 hours ago, snowgard said:

Wow!!! Do you can't use your brain? What SHE had to do with the flood? The flood start in July and she started her job on 5th August. What do you think she could have done? Use a magic wand or do a "Stop Rain Dance"?

The old government and the military were responsible for this.
But it is always easier to blame the newcomers for the mistakes.

She was in the right job, at the wrong time ,all the Thai media said was, Khow-Mi-Me-Brasopgun ,she has no experience, who ever would have been in charge would have faced the flack .

As they say it happened on her watch,  so she faced the flack

You could  also say, who decided over the past 50 years to fill in all the Klongs ,canals ,that use to take all the rainy season floods,in and around Bangkok ,was at fault 

At one time Bangkok was known as the Venice of SE Asia .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snowgard said:

Wow!!! Do you can't use your brain? What SHE had to do with the flood? The flood start in July and she started her job on 5th August. What do you think she could have done? Use a magic wand or do a "Stop Rain Dance"?

The old government and the military were responsible for this.
But it is always easier to blame the newcomers for the mistakes.

She was in position to order/speed up water discharge months before she made the decision to flood my area...

But chose to worry about some areas Bkk not getting 5cm flood, or raising barricades around some industrial park.

I know, hard on your brain to think logically...

But more...

As prime minister she took little to give help to the ppl, who got often their whole life ruined.

The one time 5k thb was nothing, the front door cost more.

But what would a keyboard warrior like you know?

How to explain someone the difference between a flash flood of 20 cm water, and a 2 months 2 meter deep continuous flood in an area haven't seen any for decades?

If you were there, watching your furniture and belongings float, and your house ruined, you would look at thing differently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

That was not Yingluks fault.

The then democrat governor  of Bangkok refused to open drainage  gates to allow water to flow through the city to pumping stations south of the city. Downtown Bangkok remained dry as a result whereas your house and mine got flooded.

True to a point.

But who is the higher up?

A city governor or a prime minister?

If Bangkok gets a few cm water, and we would have 50cm, my house would stay dry...

Meanwhile, where the ppl were supposed to stay? Evacuation? Help?

Yingluck is  (partially) responsible.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

was wiki is mistaken:

"Flooding was still ongoing by late-August, as heavy rains were expected to continue for longer than usual due to the effect of El Niño."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods#Flooding_timeline

You just can't trust wiki as they say an army overthrowing a government by a coup is Treason.          sarcasm mode on.

Nobody cares, 10 years down the line. Just another failed politician trying to keep in the news and curry favour.

why does anyone pay attention to these people...  Blair in UK, Trump in US, the Shinatras in Thailand...? Some will say public interest. I would say...I have no interest in these people, so not public interest.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

was wiki is mistaken:

"Flooding was still ongoing by late-August, as heavy rains were expected to continue for longer than usual due to the effect of El Niño."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods#Flooding_timeline

Yes it was, sort of. Whoever edited it previously left the link title to be El Nino, when in fact it linked to the La Nina page. I have edited it with a better explanation and new link

19 hours ago, tingtong said:

She was in position to order/speed up water discharge months before she made the decision to flood my area...

But chose to worry about some areas Bkk not getting 5cm flood, or raising barricades around some industrial park.

I know, hard on your brain to think logically...

But more...

As prime minister she took little to give help to the ppl, who got often their whole life ruined.

The one time 5k thb was nothing, the front door cost more.

But what would a keyboard warrior like you know?

How to explain someone the difference between a flash flood of 20 cm water, and a 2 months 2 meter deep continuous flood in an area haven't seen any for decades?

If you were there, watching your furniture and belongings float, and your house ruined, you would look at thing differently.

Blah blah blah ...!!! 

At most she was taught by so-called professional consultants what is feasible and what alternatives there are. And then a decision is made based on what is cheapest and affects so little people and companies.

And YOU probably got the ass card.

This is how politics work. 

If I remember right they talked days before what are their choices and what they wanna do. A lot of other people packed their belongins and moved for some weeks/months to Pattaya. 

But some people was not so clever!!! ????

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/27/bangkok-floods-river-threatens-burst

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-floods-idINTRE79K2XG20111027

Edited by snowgard

19 hours ago, kickstart said:

She was in the right job, at the wrong time ,all the Thai media said was, Khow-Mi-Me-Brasopgun ,she has no experience, who ever would have been in charge would have faced the flack .

As they say it happened on her watch,  so she faced the flack

You could  also say, who decided over the past 50 years to fill in all the Klongs ,canals ,that use to take all the rainy season floods,in and around Bangkok ,was at fault 

At one time Bangkok was known as the Venice of SE Asia .

Not just Bangkok and environs. The systematic filling-in of khlongs and cementing over everything has taken a greater toll on the provinces that make up the great basin flood plain - bit of a domino effect of the last 60-70 years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Nobody cares, 10 years down the line. Just another failed politician trying to keep in the news and curry favour.

why does anyone pay attention to these people...  Blair in UK, Trump in US, the Shinatras in Thailand...?

Shinatras biggest hit: I've got you under my shin!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, snowgard said:

other people packed their belongins and moved for some weeks/months to Pattaya. 

But some people was not so clever!!! ????

Maybe you can relocate a 3 bedroom house with garden, I didn't have a solution for that at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tingtong said:

Maybe you can relocate a 3 bedroom house with garden, I didn't have a solution for that at the time.

Sorry, but no I can't. But here is a good statement from a flood victim with another view of the flood and what mistakes him done. 

https://www.ssoar.info/ssoar/bitstream/handle/document/33492/ssoar-aseas-2012-2-cohen-Flooded_an_auto-ethnography_of_the.pdf

On 10/19/2021 at 10:35 AM, Bert got kinky said:

In all fairness to Yingluck, she had to wait for her puppet master's instructions and he was in no rush to help a country that he had already stripped the resources from.

Wrong. She wasn't P.M. until around early September after appeals against election results by the Dems had been exhausted.

By this time the flooding had reached unmanageable levels. This had been predicted in March by engineers yet the Abhisit government installed by the army took no action.

To blame Yingluk is disingenuous.

As for the "puppet master" dig.....groan, yawn.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Wrong. She wasn't P.M. until around early September after appeals against election results by the Dems had been exhausted.

By this time the flooding had reached unmanageable levels. This had been predicted in March by engineers yet the Abhisit government installed by the army took no action.

To blame Yingluk is disingenuous.

As for the "puppet master" dig.....groan, yawn.

Your board name says it all.

Both sides were at fault but you red sheep will always try to make out that your red masters did absolutely nothing wrong.

Pathetic.

Edited by Bert got kinky

34 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Your board name says it all.

Both sides were at fault but you red sheep will always try to make out that your red masters did absolutely nothing wrong.

Pathetic.

Did they ever do anything right? 

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

The decisions were made by payoffs to keep certain areas dry at the expense of others, despite the fact that flood plans in existence said to do just the opposite.

The advancement of contemporary civilisation has not been pretty toward the traditional landscape.