Decent tailor in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand

The Hammer2021

The best place is in Jomtien.  It's called Jack 'n Daves.  On the 3rd floor of a building next door to Frazers restaurant on Thappraya Road.

They're a couple of Indian dudes and they know their stuff. I've had several suits made by them and they are superb.  They aren't cheap but if you want something that is well made and looks sharp, these are the guys.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many of those Indian tailor shops around Beach Road just take measurements and have the actual sewing done by the tailor shops behind Tuk Com. Maybe take a walk around behind Tuk Com and see their work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bbko said:

Many of those Indian tailor shops around Beach Road just take measurements and have the actual sewing done by the tailor shops behind Tuk Com. Maybe take a walk around behind Tuk Com and see their work.

The Indians support them with material,the sewing shops don't have that.

10 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

The Indians support them with material,the sewing shops don't have that.

The workshops are usually staffed by Indians. The issue is that the Tailor shops are just fronts who after measuring you up and providing ideas for materials then send the job out to the same shared workshops. Most people don't realise this. Some tailors have better workshops than others I guess.

These Tailors may send  the orders to the Indian owned workshops,  but its Thai's ( that i have seen ) doing the sewing, maybe im  just fussy,  but Shirts, Trousers, Suits  that i have had made, the quality is ok ish, but the workmanship is  not good.... zero attention to detail

On 10/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, actonion said:

These Tailors may send  the orders to the Indian owned workshops,  but its Thai's ( that i have seen ) doing the sewing, maybe im  just fussy,  but Shirts, Trousers, Suits  that i have had made, the quality is ok ish, but the workmanship is  not good.... zero attention to detail

Correct. 

I know some of the Indian owners of these workshops. All staffed exclusively with Thai seamstresses. 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, bbko said:

A completely impractical suggestion. How would you know which worksshops were supplying which shop? How, by seeing a partially completed part of an item of clothing in isolation, an odd sleeve, a waistband whatever, could anybody get any real sense of the finished object?

On 10/22/2021 at 7:00 AM, Gsxrnz said:

The best place is in Jomtien.  It's called Jack 'n Daves.  On the 3rd floor of a building next door to Frazers restaurant on Thappraya Road.

They're a couple of Indian dudes and they know their stuff. I've had several suits made by them and they are superb.  They aren't cheap but if you want something that is well made and looks sharp, these are the guys.  

But how do you know they don't just use the same downtown workshops as all the other tailors?

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But how do you know they don't just use the same downtown workshops as all the other tailors?

I don't care if they use semi-blind one-armed dwarfs from Nicaragua.  The quality of the products I purchased was immaculate.  I attended a wedding in Sydney and the bride was miffed that the tailoring of my suit was better than that of the groom and best man, and they paid stupid money for the suits.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct. 

I know some of the Indian owners of these workshops. All staffed exclusively with Thai seamstresses. 

I would like to find a seamstress that takes pride in  the work

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A completely impractical suggestion. How would you know which worksshops were supplying which shop? How, by seeing a partially completed part of an item of clothing in isolation, an odd sleeve, a waistband whatever, could anybody get any real sense of the finished object?

You don't think the tailor shops have finished products to show potential customers?

2 hours ago, bbko said:

You don't think the tailor shops have finished products to show potential customers?

I know they do but the suggestion was to look at the 'workshops' and factories were the work is being done. Please read the thread. Workshops just have people hunched over whirring sowing machines not completed items ready to wear.

Edited by The Hammer2021

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 6:07 AM, Gsxrnz said:

I don't care if they use semi-blind one-armed dwarfs from Nicaragua.  The quality of the products I purchased was immaculate.  I attended a wedding in Sydney and the bride was miffed that the tailoring of my suit was better than that of the groom and best man, and they paid stupid money for the suits.

That's good to know. Did the quality sustain for a period of years?

On 10/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

I used Gulatis in Bkk and the tailor seemed to be Indian, the owners being Sikhs. They made good suits for me.

The fronts are all Indians, all the seamstresses and factory workers are usually Thai women. I buy a lot of PPE for our staff directly from these companies and have visited other Indian owned factories, same situation, different products. 

I recently used Universal Tailors on Soi 18 Silom Rd. in Bangkok. Happy with their work and cheaper than Rajawongse and other Tailors I have used on Suk.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The fronts are all Indians, all the seamstresses and factory workers are usually Thai women. I buy a lot of PPE for our staff directly from these companies and have visited other Indian owned factories, same situation, different products. 

I recently used Universal Tailors on Soi 18 Silom Rd. in Bangkok. Happy with their work and cheaper than Rajawongse and other Tailors I have used on Suk.

The tailors at Majestic near Soi 4 are/were men  of Lao or Cambodian origin with French tailoring training. The tailor who came to the shop for the 2 or 3 measuring up sessions at Gulatis on Soi 3 was a Thai male. Their suits were good  some better than others. Good lining  good facing and a couple lasted a few years

The problem I have here is that there just doesn't seem to be good quality cotton for shirts.

Whenever I have got them made they look great but have a poly mix running through the weave so they don't breathe properly.

The collars blow after a few washes & then the material develops those little balls in areas of use & the same for the suits as the cuffs wear quickly.

If you only want one for the odd occasion then fine but I find they don't hold up to regular use.

Linen is great but you dishevelled in no time whatsoever.

Sikhs seem to control the importation of the material that's if it's actually imported from Italy as they insist but I am quite cynical of claims of authenticity over here.

Over the years I have had maybe 20 shirts, 3 suits some sports jackets with maybe a dozen pairs of trousers (the backsides go shiny in no time) & 20 odd pairs of shorts.

Many taylors shops have gone & won't be back but the business was struggling anyway as the younger generation don't really wear formal clothing much anymore & that includes shoes.

When was the last time anyone saw a shoe shine boy? 

They used to be everywhere.

I had a pair of my leather sandels cleaned the last time the bars were open by a lad in LK but he also polished the leather on the inside which I didn't find out until I got home & took my sandels off to see my feet were pitch black, it took a week of scrubbing to get the last of the stain off.

• Haha 1