Woman arrested in Minburi over alleged 5 million baht Facebook/Line hack

Jonathan Fairfield

S__7700573.jpeg

Naew Na reported that police from the Economic Crime Division armed with a warrant arrested a 21 year old Thai woman for fraud after she hacked Facebook and Line accounts.

Nareumol Lamperngmee was arrested at the Nornee Apartment building in Suwintawong Road, Minburi in northern Bangkok.

She had gained details of users Facebook and Line accounts and pretended to be friends borrowing 20,000 baht a time but not repaying the money.

She had done this 150 times with the money being transferred to an  online savings account.

The warrant was issued after a complaint to Yannawa police back in July of this year. 

Nareumol said she used the money for her daily expenses as she had no regular job. 

Naew Na called her a hacker. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-21

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

She had gained details of users Facebook and Line accounts and pretended to be friends borrowing 20,000 baht a time but not repaying the money.

I don't get it. She contacted total strangers, claimed to be a friend, asked to borrow 20,000 baht and they sent it to her? I personally don't 'Friend' anyone I haven't met, but that's just me. Others like to imagine they have 5,000 friends and accept anybody. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't get it. She contacted total strangers, claimed to be a friend, asked to borrow 20,000 baht and they sent it to her? I personally don't 'Friend' anyone I haven't met, but that's just me. Others like to imagine they have 5,000 friends and accept anybody. 

She hacked into accounts of people, then impersonating them reached out to that people's friends and family in Line and Facebook, claiming she's in trouble and needs to borrow money urgently. Like if I broke into your account, and in your name asked your friends to borrow money. Some would be willing to help (you) to which I'd give my bank account to transfer money to. Many did not check that the name of account they were transferring to didn't match the name of their friend. By the time your friends realised you didn't ask anyone for any money and your account was hacked, all that transfers would already have been done.

I know of several who fell for this and filed police reports on it.

27 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

She hacked into accounts of people, then impersonating them reached out to that people's friends and family in Line and Facebook, claiming she's in trouble and needs to borrow money urgently. Like if I broke into your account, and in your name asked your friends to borrow money. Some would be willing to help (you) to which I'd give my bank account to transfer money to. Many did not check that the name of account they were transferring to didn't match the name of their friend. By the time your friends realised you didn't ask anyone for any money and your account was hacked, all that transfers would already have been done.

I know of several who fell for this and filed police reports on it.

Okay. I once had a Facebook message from a friend asking for money, a message he didn't send. Interesting that these sites can be hacked, especially by a young Thai woman. As we know all too well, Thais are not great with computer systems. But then, she doesn't programme for the government... ????

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You would be astonished by the amount of foreigners who are ready to send 500 Euro to a girl/woman who claims to be a friend and maybe promise them "Eternal love" whilst they are waiting for them to come to Thailand and marry.

Mostly Arabs and south-European foreigners (Turkish).

I've read an article in a local paper read by many woman which say that making money is very easy and publishing the details how to do it.

Woman/girls in a lot of meeting sites and social media (Line, WhatsApp, etc.) are using this technique to fill their bank account and get a lot of money out of the guys (compared to whatever peanuts they would make by doing normal work).

Specially now where they can claim that they have no work and no money because of Covid-19.

• Sad 1