Enter on a tourist visa 50K USD insurance coverage and switch to retirement visa

A friend on mine whos in hos 80's needs help in identifying  a company that would agree the required 50K health insurance coverage requested as an entry requirement in Thailand. The intention is to enter on a tourist visa then switch to extension based on retirement, which is what was in place but has now expired. 

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

if you talk about today's proposal of $50k, it's not confirmed.

He can get tourist insurance.

If he hasn't got any health insurance, there is not company which will offer him a policy at his age.

Probably the only way in Thailand would be through an agent

He will enter as a tourist getting available tourist insurance. Looking for any Thai companies that may offer the health element at the required level of 50K. I appreciate its not fully approved yet just thinking ahead. If no one offers it that means not tourist over 70 to Thailand as that's normally the cutoff for insurance. He will never claim its purely just to comply with the proposed requirements.

Later he will use an agent to get his extension of stay based on retirement.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea what the cost of this covid insurance to re enter is?

I suspect that there are lot people like me who want to travel to the home country to visit friends and relatives but are not sure they will be able to re enter Thailand. From what I see today, if confirmed, we would need to provide World Health Authority approved vaccinations confirmation and we have had that done in Thailand that should not be a problem, then a PCR test in the home country within 72 hours of flying back ( cost ?) and have covid-19 cover for 50k$, so does anyone have any idea what the cost of this insurance is for say over 70's?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 50k baht insurance is not medical insurance. The 50k baht insurance is only to cover treatment for covid 19.

He would only need 60 days if coverage if entering on a tourist visa.

When updated this site will have the 50k baht coverage up to 100 years old.

Does it not say health insurance? It Does not state COVID insurance only ?.... From Nov 1st

1 minute ago, yeahbutif said:

Does it not say health insurance? It Does not state COVID insurance only ?.... From Nov 1st

It is states medical insurance on the infographic. They just left out the covid 19 wording in it.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 50k baht insurance is not medical insurance. The 50k baht insurance is only to cover treatment for covid 19.

Are they now giving 60 days on arrival, or 30 days?

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Joe, appreciate you clarifying the details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have friends who are visiting from France in January.  She is Thai but no longer has a Thai passport.  He is French.  I told him I thought he needed to get the 50,000 USD Covid insurance from a Thai insurance company.  He said his French insurance company covers him up to 100,000 Euro.  I said, I didn't think a Non Thai insurance qualified for entry and that it specifically had to say $50,000 USD otherwise he might be rejected.   Can you clarify for me. 

Also Thai companies will cover to 100K, Ubonjoe shared this link with me some weeks ago and its what my friend will use. You can book your requirement based on length of stay. I would always choose Thai company as its easier for the immigration and embassy people to know who they are and ask less questions making the process easier. Just my opinion.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

He can get Health insurance and or COVID 19 insurance

It all boils down to how much Deductible

For example last year I got COVID -19 including $100k for 12 months 11kTHB deductible 1st 300kTHB, it was pretty much useless but it got me into the country

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I have friends who are visiting from France in January.  She is Thai but no longer has a Thai passport.  He is French.  I told him I thought he needed to get the 50,000 USD Covid insurance from a Thai insurance company.  He said his French insurance company covers him up to 100,000 Euro.  I said, I didn't think a Non Thai insurance qualified for entry and that it specifically had to say $50,000 USD otherwise he might be rejected.   Can you clarify for me. 

Thats the problem caused by blatent profiteering by the named Thai insurance companies and the commission they wish to generate for other interested parties. Corris  offers TRAVEL INSURANCE for 70 and above which gives limited cover on pre-existing conditions (requiring repatriation after initial emergency treatment) but is not listed on the Embassy and Immigration web sites 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

bangkok post article "conditions for no quarantine arrivals" refers to the 50k as being general health insurance cover.  i wonder why would they would lessen covid insurance cover -  particularly on the back of increasing oa retirement insurance cover?   

40 minutes ago, Bvor said:

bangkok post article "conditions for no quarantine arrivals" refers to the 50k as being general health insurance cover.  i wonder why would they would lessen covid insurance cover -  particularly on the back of increasing oa retirement insurance cover?   

It appears they lowered the covid insurance requirement to 50k baht. 

That is the only insurance needed according to the info I have seen.

A assume they did it to lower the cost of it when entering the country or they have realized that is all that is needed.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears they lowered the covid insurance requirement to 50k baht. 

That is the only insurance needed according to the info I have seen.

so the senior spokeswomen referred to in bangkok post has been misquoted re 50k general health insurance. wouldn't surprise me of course, misinformation in one way or another is all part of TIT. reducing to 50k appears to suggest little or no risk with double vaxed tourists so the requirement not really needed.   

18 minutes ago, Bvor said:

so the senior spokeswomen referred to in bangkok post has been misquoted re 50k general health insurance. wouldn't surprise me of course, misinformation in one way or another is all part of TIT. reducing to 50k appears to suggest little or no risk with double vaxed tourists so the requirement not really needed.   

That is not the only thing they got it wrong.

They left out for covid 19 from the article. The official requirements calls it medical insurance.

16 minutes ago, Ray6943 said:

here is a 78 y/o male from the US looking for a company that will issue the relevant covid insurance to enter Thailand - I am unable to find any that will issue; please furnish names if you know any

go online covid19.TGIA. same as advised on previous posts 

9 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The  - thailandpass. go. th (embassy) website says that it " must expressly state it covers $50000 medical expenses Including covid 19"

10 hours ago, nong38 said:

Does anyone have any idea what the cost of this covid insurance to re enter is?

I suspect that there are lot people like me who want to travel to the home country to visit friends and relatives but are not sure they will be able to re enter Thailand. From what I see today, if confirmed, we would need to provide World Health Authority approved vaccinations confirmation and we have had that done in Thailand that should not be a problem, then a PCR test in the home country within 72 hours of flying back ( cost ?) and have covid-19 cover for 50k$, so does anyone have any idea what the cost of this insurance is for say over 70's?

I also want to know, I am 71 next week.  I thought that the THB 800,000 required by long stay O-A retirement visa extension was solely to insure that all bill are paid, including health insurance.  Thailand does not want us after 70? We can still contribute a lot to Thai society.

Edited by yimlitnoy
remarks