New entry requirements Nov 1st

richard_smith237

this publication, khaosod english, did not give their source

"Travelers from 46 countries will not be required to quarantine upon entry in Thailand starting Nov. 1, the government announced Thursday night..

The low-risk countries and territories are: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bhutan, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Hong Kong."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4813209582031269

• Like 1

A ‘friend’ my Wife (who’s well connected to information sources) has sent her the above info... and informs that there will be 47 eligible countries.

Thus: Vaccinated arrivals must have / do...

1) Pre-flight PCR test

2) Arrival PCR test

3) 1 Night Quarantine in a hotel (at least until PCR test result is issued)

This latest release of information still leaves questions: 

- At which stage is the Arrival PCR test taken (at the Airport or Hotel)  ??

- Must the Quarantine hotel be an SHA+ hotel /  ASQ hotel ?

Biggest question of all - is the Certificate of entry still a requirement... 

So it's just a reduced quarantine to 1 day instead of 'quarantine free'.

If you are tested positive on arrival, then you will be quarantined at the hospital.

The expensive Covid tests and insurance requirements will scare most short term tourists off. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, andy said:

Any word on if Thai nationals can enter via the no-quarantine scheme?  Are Thai nationals restricted to arriving from the listed countries?

Yes, Thai nationals can enter and they don't have to get the medical insurance and I think they don't even have to pay for the local Covid test.

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I wonder what the chances are of them taking the UK of the list....due to the problems they are having there with growing covid cases and a new more contagious variant?

When I pointed this out, somebody here argued it's because UK and USA have done a large number of tests but other countries didn't. lol

Most of the countries from the list are from the richer countries with higher number of tourists to Thailand.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

$50K worth of medical insurance? Are they talking about covid-19 insurance?

It can be travel insurance which covers covid. I'm planning to get ACS Global Traveller with 300k euro medical coverage for 8 months (I'm with a non-O retirement reentry permit), as covid didn't eliminate things like motorbike and car accidents. It doesn't cover asymptomatic covid but I have the Roojai insurance for this.

1 hour ago, fusion58 said:

$50K worth of medical insurance? Are they talking about covid-19 insurance?

They say "medical insurance" but we have to wait for the announcement in the government gazette and then see how how the government officials dealing with it are interpreting it.

I believe the cabinet meets on Tuesdays, which means there is a fair chance that the requisite ministerial announcement will be published not later than 1 November.

Edited by Puccini

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A ‘friend’ my Wife (who’s well connected to information sources) has sent her the above info... and informs that there will be 47 eligible countries.

1) Pre-flight PCR test

2) Arrival PCR test

If this turns to be true it is good news...still not good enough for a week or two long holiday, but viable option for anyone planning to stay 3-4 weeks and more. Vast improvement from my ASQ 15 days quarantine earlier this year.

I hope the CoE will go but I didn't have much issues with it back in January.

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

If this turns to be true it is good news...still not good enough for a week or two long holiday, but viable option for anyone planning to stay 3-4 weeks and more. Vast improvement from my ASQ 15 days quarantine earlier this year.

I hope the CoE will go but I didn't have much issues with it back in January.

I think all of the requirements are fairly easy to meet for most who ‘want' to travel to Thailand.

It is the uncertainty of the regulations which is the real showstopper for many. 

People wanting to travel in 10 days still have no idea what the requirements will be and that pushes those sitting on the fence to travel elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Pre-flight PCR test

2) Arrival PCR test

even  bigger  question whats the betting that pcr  test in Thailand gets  delayed  being deliverd to you so the hotel can screw  extra  nights  out of its  "guests"

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

When I pointed this out, somebody here argued it's because UK and USA have done a large number of tests but other countries didn't. lol

Most of the countries from the list are from the richer countries with higher number of tourists to Thailand.

Theyre  testing all  kids  twice a  week at  schools for your  information as I  know someone whose  doing th e testing

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I wonder what the chances are of them taking the UK of the list....due to the problems they are having there with growing covid cases and a new more contagious variant?

The "new" type isnt  going to be an issue  according to 2  reports Ive read  both from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57564560

Even with 166 examples of Delta plus shared on GISAID, a global open sharing database, "we don't have much reason to believe this is any more dangerous than the original Delta," according to Dr Jeremy Kamil, a virologist at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

So it's just a reduced quarantine to 1 day instead of 'quarantine free'.

If you are tested positive on arrival, then you will be quarantined at the hospital.

The expensive Covid tests and insurance requirements will scare most short term tourists off. 

I will not assume the risk of the Thais doing a test upon arrival and dragging me off to a hospital for 14 days miserable hospital room quarantine.  I am vaccinated, will fly of course only with a negative PCR test before getting on the airplane. 

Will not wait in some hotel until some result of a Thai test is received.  What if the result is lost, delayed, false positive, etc?? 

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes...people told me that too. But when you looks at the % of tested people that have covid it still comes out really high.  I guess these people don't understand mathematics very well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The "new" type isnt  going to be an issue  according to 2  reports Ive read  both from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57564560

Even with 166 examples of Delta plus shared on GISAID, a global open sharing database, "we don't have much reason to believe this is any more dangerous than the original Delta," according to Dr Jeremy Kamil, a virologist at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.

Dam. I read that it is more contagious and also affects while blood cells more than any of the other strains so far. 

I'm a senior so I probably have missed something ...

The impression I get from all these talks about pricey Thailand imposed Covid-19 and "medical" Insurances is that Vaccines don't work and vaccinated or not you'll still risk getting struck by the dreaded Corona and end up in an atrociously expensive (for farangs) Thai hospital - so the necessity to subscribe a big $$$ health insurance before you set sails for the LOS.

Just saying ...

I'm all for vaccines, mind you. I have received a first Sinovac jab and will get an AstraSeneca booster in a matter of days at my local Isaan hospital.

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

even  bigger  question whats the betting that pcr  test in Thailand gets  delayed  being deliverd to you so the hotel can screw  extra  nights  out of its  "guests"

Oooh... such a cynic you are...  I don’t disagree. 

However, the PCR testing for the Phuket Sandbox was very efficient: results arrived in the evening (9pm for me after landing at 1pm) - but, the arrival numbers were not high. 

My guess is that arrivals will pay through the nose for PCR tests issued by the hotels in partnership with the hospitals. 

i.e. I can get a PCR test in Bangkok for 2,600 baht (Med Consult Asia or Mahidol).

But, will the hotels Charge 5000 baht per test (as they have done in the past) ?

Will the hotel charge through the nose for SHA+ transport from the airport ?

i.e. arriving could cost a family of 4: 20,000 baht for PCR tests, 5000 baht for the hotel and 1000 baht for Airport transfer [just guessing of course].

Edited by richard_smith237

Another questionable facet is ‘positive isolation'.

As I understand it more recent MoPH policy is for those who test positive for Covid-19 without symptoms to isolate at home for two weeks, health packages are sent to their address (this may be for Thai’s only). 

Thus: IF an arrival tests positive are they to be isolated in an expensive hospital or are they allowed to isolate at home ?

Some updated information for arrivals:

Source: Announcement by Government Speaker [Thanakorn Wangboonkhongchana - 22nd Oct]

- Both Thai and foreigners arriving from overseas (46 counties) must have been in that country for at least 21 days

- Both need a certificate of vaccination (not needed for children under 12) 

- Negative PCR test (<72 hrs before travel)

- Insurance US$50,000 covid cover

- Hotel Booking Ref - Needs to SHA PLUS, or AQ, OQ, AHQ (i.e. a recognised quarantine hotel) - hotels cooperate with the hospital for PCR test on arrival. 

- Mor Chana App needed upon arrival.

- Transport: Airport to hotel (SHA+) needs to be provided by Hotel 

- IF PCR result is negative - can move onwards in your own time

- OR if PCR Positive (or symptoms), hotel will contact the Public Health Officer (further details are missing)

Certificate of Entry process will no longer be used (existing CoE’s to be honoured)

Arrival process involves use of the ‘Thai Pass’ - there are no current details for this, it is expected that further information regarding the ‘Thai Pass’ will be released next week. 

Further to the above - there are still lots of holes. 

The lack of information regarding the Thai Pass is somewhat alarming - its very late in the game for any applicants travelling in early Nov. 

There is a huge gap for those travelling with children age 12-18 who have not been vaccinated. 

At least 21 days needs to have been spent in the country of application - What if you have travelled from Thailand, stayed in the UK for 14 days and wish to travel back to Thailand !!!...  (does ‘computer say no’ ?)

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

At least 21 days needs to have been spent in the country of application - What if you have travelled from Thailand, stayed in the UK for 14 days and wish to travel back to Thailand !!!...  (does ‘computer say no’ ?)

According to the TAT news story running elsewhere;

"For returning Thais and foreign residents, it is not necessary to be in an approved country for 21 days or more, as long as they are travelling from Thailand to the approved country/s and return within the last 21 days."

• Like 1

We fly into BKK from a safe list country on the 10th Jan for 6 weeks. We are double vaxed and have the QR code from France for the jabs on phones, and travel insurance is in progress so all good.

However, I'm uncertain about the "1 night SHA+ stay or until neg test result" though. i talked to someone who lives in Bangkok who was formerly a director of a travel company. She said it's grey, but if you get an express test at the airport and it's negative, you can just leave and head to your destination.... is that right? 

For the Thai pass which is replacing the CoE, any views on when this will be ready to download?

We are just happy to be able to get back, just wish the gift of clarity could be bestowed on the people who make the rules in Thailand so everyone know whats happening and can plan.

thailandpass to be filled up up to 7 days before departure. For coe it was up to 30 days, but still approval was given just within few days before departure.

So far pcr tests would be done on arrival. They need at least 3h, if you are first from the airplane and no waiting line ahead of you. For hua hin sandbox they expect 12h waiting.

By january they might start using atk tests and those are done within minutes

4 hours ago, Papa Goose said:

For the Thai pass which is replacing the CoE, any views on when this will be ready to download?

I heard that the Thailand Pass is going to be released at some point next week (i.e. 25th to 29th) - but as its a new app, expect lots of bugs. As with all government sites and apps released in Thailand, teething issues expected. 

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

So far pcr tests would be done on arrival. They need at least 3h, if you are first from the airplane and no waiting line ahead of you. For hua hin sandbox they expect 12h waiting.

By january they might start using atk tests and those are done within minutes

It is my understanding that the AQ / SHA+ hotels are partnering up with hospitals and the PCR tests will be administered upon arrival at the hotel rather than creating potential bottle necks as the airport. 

My Guess is the procedure will be something like this. 

- Book flights.

- Book 1 night AQ / SHA+ hotel ‘package'

- Submit documents (flights, insurance, visa, hotel booking, proof of vax etc) and receive Thailand Pass approval ( is this going to be in the format of Certificate of Entry ?).

- Print out Thailand Pass approval document.

- Pre-Flight PCR test.

- Travel - Submitting all documents at check in.

- Arrival - Show Thailand Pass approval document / Insurance / Hotel booking / proof of vax / Mor Chana App

- Pass Immigration.

- Hotel SHA+ approved transport to hotel.

- Arrive at hotel take PCR test.

- Wait at hotel for PCR test result which depending on arrival time will be issued in the evening or following day.

(Can leave hotel as soon as PCR test result is issued).

- Travel onward anywhere in Thailand