What is the best way?

I (German) would like to travel to TH again with my wife (TH) in about 3 weeks -- for 5-6 months stay on Phuket.

At the moment I see two possibilities:

- Visa-free entry (exempt)  for 30? / 45? days and about 2 weeks before expiry application for NON-O visa at Phuket Immigration.

For this I probably need to show the airline GER/TH a ticket to leave TH after 30? / 45? days at the latest.

or

- NON-O Visa from Thai Consulate in Munich

Finally, I would like to get a 'Retirement Extension 1 year' again like since more than 12 years. THB 800K+ are in my SCB account for many years.

What’s the best option or alternative solution?

If you know for certain that you will leave after maximum 9 months the special tourist visa would be an option.

But because you have the money in the bank already anyway getting a non-o + retirement extensio is also not really more difficult

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day permit to stay that you can extended for 60 days.

If during your stay you decided you wanted to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement or marriage.

That is what I would do.

• Like 2

I would apply from the consulate. Non-O based on marriage or retirement as you already have the money.

When you enter you will get 90 days. After that just extend 1 year at your immigration office. If you wish to leave and come back during the year, you can just get a re-entry permit to keep your remaining days of your extension when you arrive again.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day permit to stay that you can extended for 60 days.

If during your stay you decided you wanted to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement or marriage.

So if I am in the UK and married to a Thai, and want to return to Thailand and don't have a re entry permit, can I arrive in Thailand, get visa exempt which I think is 30 days, then get 90+60 days?

Before that 90+60 days is up, can I apply for the retirement extensions?

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So if I am in the UK and married to a Thai, and want to return to Thailand and don't have a re entry permit, can I arrive in Thailand, get visa exempt which I think is 30 days, then get 90+60 days?

Before that 90+60 days is up, can I apply for the retirement extensions?

Yes or you could apply for a non-o visa online and get your stickerless visa by email.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes or you could apply for a non-o visa online and get your stickerless visa by email.

When I came here last May I had to mail my passport to the Thai embassy in DC . with a prepaid stamped envelop to vet my Non O based on marriage stamp and my passport returned. 

I did not know there was an option for a stickerless  visa, Is it something new? We are planning to spend the Summer in Greece and by the time we return my extension based on marriage will have expired and I will be returning with a Non-O again.  I think that from now on rather than do the extension based on marriage, I will simply travel out of the country after 5 months and return on a Non-O. And a stickerless visa would be convenient,  

Is what I describe a good idea? 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I did not know there was an option for a stickerless  visa, Is it something new?

I just started a couple of months ago. I is only available if the embassy or consulate where you apply is using the e visa website (https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/) . They are using it at the embassy and official consultes in the US but you would have to be in the US to apply for it there.

If you are only going to be staying Greece you probably will not be able to apply for a visa before returning. I think the Thai embassy there will only issue visas to to citizens and legal residents of Greece like many others.

Thanks everyone for helpful recommendations and alternative solutions.

I have decided to enter TH by visa excempt 30 days and to apply after about 2 weeks for a NON-O Visa based on retirement at Phuket Immigration - and then after 2.5 - 3 months to apply for a one-year retirement extension of stay.

Reason: No stress with and longer journey to the Thai Consulate in Munich- plus: my experiences with Phuket Immigration over the past 12+ years have always been very positive.

Thx again.