switch to retirement

Hello,

I arrived in January this year with my PE visa. The 5 year visa expired in May. My permission to stay stamp will expire early January next year. I wish to switch to extension of stay based on retirement (age over 50) using the 800,000 baht in bank method. I do not have a bank account yet. What forms do I need to fill out and when is the best time to visit bangkok immigration in my situation.

Thank a lot

You will not be able to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement until you have a non-o visa issued by immigration. You need to check with immigration about about applying for it with a PE visa. Others have been told it cannot be done since it is not a tourist visa.

The requirements for the non-o visa application here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe
Posted forgotten link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement until you have a non-o visa issued by immigration. You need to check with immigration about about applying for it with a PE visa. Others have been told it cannot be done since it is not a tourist visa.

The requirements for the non-o visa application here. 

Oh no. That is bad news indeed. I guess another option would be to renew my PE visa. I was hoping it might be possible to get a non-o while in Thailand.

Thank you for your replies.

4 minutes ago, sightseer said:

That is bad news indeed. I guess another option would be to renew my PE visa. I was hoping it might be possible to get a non-o while in Thailand.

You check with your local immigration office about it. Some have been a little more flexible due to covid 19.

Note I posted the link I forgot to post.

By January it may be easier to leave and re-enter with a 30 day visa exempt entry (if from a country that qualifies for one) that you could use to apply for the visa.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You check with your local immigration office about it. Some have been a little more flexible due to covid 19.

Note I posted the link I forgot to post.

By January it may be easier to leave and re-enter with a 30 day visa exempt entry (if from a country that qualifies for one) that you could use to apply for the visa.

Yes, I will check with them in November. I'm not vaccinated so I rather not travel and have to do the hotel quarantine one more time.

Thank you for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I have contacted an agent, but I was told they cannot convert to NON-O from another long term visa. I will try to visit Chaengwattana immigration but I doubt they would allow it.

I am trying to avoid travel during this time because of multiple PCR tests and 10 day quarantine for the non-vaccinated.

11 hours ago, sightseer said:

I have contacted an agent, but I was told they cannot convert to NON-O from another long term visa. I will try to visit Chaengwattana immigration but I doubt they would allow it.

The problem is that the Thai Elite PE visa is not a normal visa and is not considered as equal to a tourist visa to apply for a non immigrant visa of any kind.

A about the only thing you can do at this time is hope for the 60 day covid 19 extension stay in effect for a while or get vaccinated so you only need to do a one night test and go entry.

It is getting easier to get vaccinated here in the country. If in Bangkok you should register for one here (ignore the over 60 years old wording. https://expatvac.consular.go.th/

Or you could look here for a list of hospitals. https://thailandintervac.com/

• Thanks 1