Calls for Thailand to slash tax on child car seats in bid to boost road safety

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported on comments made by Chart Thai Pattana MP Nikorn Jamnong at a meeting at the Amari Don Muang to adress the carnage on the roads among the 10-18 year old age group.

Nikorn took the occasion to say that child car seat enforcement was difficult as they cost at least 5,000 - 10,000 baht each. 

He said that in the Philippines import duty had been slashed to zero to encourage their use and the same should be done in Thailand.

Also they should be made in Thailand and enjoy BOI privileges. 

In addition the MP called for all motorcycles to be fitted with ABS brakes as standard and this to be enforced. 

Car seats for children and babies in Thailand are not mandatory - the law just requires a child to be restrained, notes ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-23

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

He should be running the country just on his proposal, he could also go one step further and ask it to be mandatory that all cars with kids have one inside, but then again, there is no enforcement here, is there. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

........to adress the carnage on the roads among the 10-18 year old age group.

Nikorn took the occasion to say that child car seat enforcement was difficult as they cost at least 5,000 - 10,000 baht each. 

Why would he promote child seats for 10 to 18 year Olds?.....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

They don't  even but nappys or diapers for their children.  Why woukd they purchase  car seats?

I shudder to think how many nappies a Thai male gets through in the course of his life time. !!!!!!!!!! LOL.

• Haha 1

Great idea.  No one can debate this.  PM needs to say great idea! "Make it so"!

So many sensible things could reduce road related injuries but how can you change with such poor plod and people? I predict Thailand can claim being #1 in road deaths for the next 15 years. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Thanks 2

This is a nation that thinks it perfectly fine to ride a motorcycle with their toddler standing in front of them. I don't see the take-up of child seats as I often see kids clambering around freely in cars and trucks. That said the wife's brother has got their young daughter well trained and used to being in the child seat. 

Reducing the tax...well surprised there is any.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

the carnage on the roads among the 10-18 year old age group.

who are allowed by an inept police force and hapless parents to drive from eight years old riding five to a bike with one helmet between them.  (I was exaggerating by one about the helmet.)

• Like 1

Nice sentiment, but won't change a thing until there is actually enforcement of laws (I know, 555!).

People's behavior can change--most people on this forum can probably remember a time when use of seatbelts wasn't mandatory in their own countries. When I was a kid, my mother's arm was the only child safety restraint used in the car. Now, most people there use seat belts without a thought.

Seems like the only way to get people to change is to hit them in the wallet. Sad that the child safety isn't enough to motivate most folks.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:16 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

Wait!  What?  Boost child car safety.   Are they mad.?  The family car is a motor bike that seats 7 people.  They ride passed traffic officer after traffic  officer.  I see children that look under 10 years old riding these same bikes carelessly .  I see many going down one way roads the wrong direction.   I see motorbikes riding up and down sidewalks.   The car seats are important  don't get me wrong, but if you aren't going to impose immediate saftey laws and standards where they should already exist whats the end game,  Police do nothing already. Why make ones soap box stance so obvious.   Is this an attempt  at one's legacy, or do they really care.  I see people on bikes holding infants in one hand and steering with the other.

Pleased someone has noticed as nobody in authority has (noticed). 

5 hours ago, ilms said:

Nice sentiment, but won't change a thing until there is actually enforcement of laws (I know, 555!).

People's behavior can change--most people on this forum can probably remember a time when use of seatbelts wasn't mandatory in their own countries. When I was a kid, my mother's arm was the only child safety restraint used in the car. Now, most people there use seat belts without a thought.

Seems like the only way to get people to change is to hit them in the wallet. Sad that the child safety isn't enough to motivate most folks.

Mandatory today, but common sense always made sense to me, I've been using a seat belt from the time I had my first car, that is now just over 60 years - admittedly it was only an aircraft lap belt but that's all that was available at the time. 

A good idea but not relevant, practical or viable.

1/ most cars in Thailand are pickup's, and a tax loophole allows the rear seat to be classed as transport of goods, not people, as the tax and price is lower, and therefore there are no seat belts in the back.

2/ most accidents/deaths are from motorbikes, so its better to spend the money on sending police to patrol the roads and enforce the law on motorbikes and cars. Helmets, ghost riding, registration, licences and bad driving of motorbikes,  cars and other transport.

With the average Thai parent having the common sense, and brain, of a demented buffalo, letting  kids  race around the streets on motor cycles, without  license or helmet, you really think they are going to lash out and by  baby seats for their car??

• Like 1