Small(ish) new second family car - Budget circa 600,000 Baht

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

as it is a family car I would look at what safety equipment is supplied as standard as there are some new cars sold today with only 2 airbags.

Another model to consider is the Nissan Almera as news cars start from 499,000 although I prefer cars that the rear seats can fold flat such as the Yaris and the Jazz

Try the honda city hatchback. They also have the similar "magic seats" found in the jazz. The city should be fast enough and good fuel consumption - as long as you are not on the boost all the time. OFFICIAL: เปิดตัว Honda City Hatchback เบนซิน 1.0 TURBO 122 แรงม้า 599,000  – 749,000 บาท | MagCarZine.com | ข่าวสารยานยนต์ ให้คุณรู้จริงก่อนใคร

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:27 AM, hotandsticky said:

NISSAN  -  Note

MAZDA  -  2 sedan

Remove these.

Nissan used to be good when they were Datsun.  

And I tried to interest my wife in a Mazda.  She said the appearance was nice, like a BMW.  But she noted the rapid decline in value,  unlike Honda which holds its value better.

I'd say look for a used version of the rest, driven by a rice farmer only on Sundays and to the temple/Big C. 

And no Bangkok cars, accordingtomy wife--they're probably driven like crazy by people crazy enough to drive in Bangkok. ????

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Remove these.

And I tried to interest my wife in a Mazda.  She said the appearance was nice, like a BMW.  But she noted the rapid decline in value,  unlike Honda which holds its value better.

I'd say look for a used version of the rest, driven by a rice farmer only on Sundays and to the temple/Big C. 

And no Bangkok cars, according to my wife--they're probably driven like crazy by people crazy enough to drive in Bangkok. ????

Thanks, I will not buy second hand, the list is narrowed to:-

TOYOTA  - Yaris

HONDA  -  Jazz

HONDA  -  City Hatchback

I didn't know there was a hatchback version of the City...... that makes it favourite.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:38 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I had a Honda Jazz for 4 years, loved it, spacious and reliable, 1.5 engine .

Very versatile, with the rear seats down gives you the biggest load capacity in its class.

I agree. I could not believe the amount of stuff u can pack in the back with the seats down.

14 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

TOYOTA  - Yaris

HONDA  -  Jazz

HONDA  -  City Hatchback

I didn't know there was a hatchback version of the City...... that makes it favourite.

You may have to upgrade the Honda City model above your target budget to get the all important "remote start key'.

Just found out, the key also can remotely open the windows from 400' distance to let out the stifling 50 degree air, then you can remotely re-lock the car, roll the windows up and start it to run the air conditioner to 23 degrees. Nice! 

My first purchase here 2006 Yaris, 1.5, my brother choose the Jazz I like Honda but I feel it was a bit overprice and it sat too sporty the seats and too low. The Yaris I felt had a better suspension and felt more solidly built. Aside from a few scratches although just for town driving the vehicle still runs like new the only major repair I've made is replacing the A/C unit 25,000 baht a few years ago it has 120,000 KM a few months back I picked up my brother he commented he should have gotten the Yaris he was surprise that it rides much better.

• Like 1

Look at the MG very affordable I hired one for half a day to see if I liked it and for the price I thought they were of good value however as I have a car already my intention is to go to the Bangkok car show at the beginning of December to see whats new as I fancy going 100% electric 

• Sad 1

I would recommend the Suzuki Ciaz……I also have the Mazda 2, but I prefer the Ciaz as it is much roomier all round, and very comfortable for longer journeys. You could buy new for your budget. And my experiences with the Suzuki dealer in Korat was first class……very knowledgeable and friendly. Maybe they try harder because they don’t sell as many cars as Toyota etc.

Test drive one before you commit to any of them. I’ve rented a few different cars, and I found the Jazz was better built and more solid than the smaller Toyota’s. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, vinny41 said:

as it is a family car I would look at what safety equipment is supplied as standard as there are some new cars sold today with only 2 airbags.

Another model to consider is the Nissan Almera as news cars start from 499,000 although I prefer cars that the rear seats can fold flat such as the Yaris and the Jazz

Mazda 2 Sedan has also foldable rear seats.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, vinny41 said:

Mazda 2 Sedan has also foldable rear seats.

Over the last 14 Years I owned some of this Cars. My Resume: Nissan Almera, a lot of Space, poor Transmission. Honda Jazz OK, but Brake Problems. Toyota Vios after 2 Years feels like 10 Years old. Now I have since 5 Years a Mazda 2 Sedan, way out the best Car of all I ever had here. Its a real no Problem Car and in the meantime Mazda resells same Toyota/Honda! I know why!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Remove these.

And no Bangkok cars, accordingtomy wife--they're probably driven like crazy by people crazy enough to drive in Bangkok. ????

Your Wife seems to be not up to date! Mazda resell in the meantime same good as Toyota and Honda. By the way, Mazda 2 was the best selling  2020 Car on the Thai Market and number 2 of all Models behind Toyota Revo Pickup.

The Honda Jazz was sounding good, and then I saw that Honda has stopped production of the Jazz in Thailand. So I looked into the Honda City Hatchback and see that it has a

1.0L, 998cc turbo 3 cylinder motor. Is that going to be enough power in mountainous terrain, or with the back seats folded down and the car loaded up with ‘stuff’?

2 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

The Honda Jazz was sounding good, and then I saw that Honda has stopped production of the Jazz in Thailand. So I looked into the Honda City Hatchback and see that it has a

1.0L, 998cc turbo 3 cylinder motor. Is that going to be enough power in mountainous terrain, or with the back seats folded down and the car loaded up with ‘stuff’?

It generates 120bhp.....so I would imagine so.

46 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

The online world shares Closing picture of the production of "Honda Jazz", the manufacturer confirms It's a picture of a foreign factory. Thai products are still for sale. Honda in Thailand has not stopped producing Honda Jazz cars in any way. And still selling this car as usual.

https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/auto/news_2992054

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 1:45 AM, hotandsticky said:

Thank you.

I am attracted to Honda, the Jazz looks a little sporty and is a car that either my wife or I can drive. The load capacity sounds good as I occasionally have family visit us.

I have a 2011 Jazz with low km's bought 2nd hand from Expat Autos in CM, great car with an excellent engine and really versatile loading with the Magic Seats. The Mazda and Toyota are also solid Jap cars but not as unbreakable as the Honda IMO.

Tip: Buy White and you'll sell it quickly when the time comes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

TOYOTA  - Yaris

HONDA  -  Jazz

HONDA  -  City Hatchback

Had the Yaris ativ since Feb, had no problems and great to drive.

Screenshot_2021-09-01-14-30-31-937_com.miui.gallery.jpg

On 10/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, LarrySR said:

Yaris starts at = 549,000Bt

Honda City Hatch = 599,000bt

Jazz = 555,000bt

Mazda 2 = 549,000bt

Swift = 557,000bt

Forget the Nissan. Chronic transmission problems according to Scotty Kilmer.

Depends  how  often you change the fluid,  Wife  did  hers at 45k now done 80k Nissan  say  150k