Thai Airways

Never had a problem with Thai airways always but they have become expensive. if Eva or BA are flying direct they would normally be 25% cheaper for same service levels. I could normally fly on Eva or BA premium economy for he same process as Thai economy class. Things may change after covid.

they are going bankrupt.

they don't fly daily, so you might to wait for up to a week for the next connection or travel to europe to catch another one.

that was my favourite airline, with gold card. But now it's too risky.

Price was not matter, for 20gbp you had 4 seats to lay down, in comparison to always full eva

Edited by internationalism

10 minutes ago, internationalism said:

they are going bankrupt.

they don't fly daily, so you might to wait for up to a week for the next connection or travel to europe to catch another one.

They are already bankrupt and are in the recovery phase now.

They are flying a few routes now. I think they will be reliable now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Pre covid I used Thai for MUC - BKK only because it was the only nonstop flight available. Their BC is worse than each Middle Eastern airline I know. Fortunatelly they changed their stone old Boeing 747 a few years ago. And they became crazy expansive in the last years. Even LH and Swiss are cheaper now.

Between Thai and Emirates there was a differnce of about 1500€ for a return ticket.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

Best flight on Thai was in 2007.  LAX to BKK and back nonstop on the Airbus 340-500 in Premium Economy.  This was everyday.  It was great and the price was the same as United in Economy(in those days United flew the route LAX-NRT-BKK).  Since then I have flown Thai Smile a few times and only complaint with the low cost version of Thai was no cash refunds for cancelled flights.  During the pandemic both ANA and JAL have operated consistently to and out of BKK.  

I flew with them not long after they were established and they were a fabulous airline, but comfort and to a lesser degree service has dropped off, particularly over the last 10-12 years -- on the cheap tickets seat pitch is now down to 31". More to the point, I wonder about their safety culture and whether or not standards are being maintained. Covid has meant that it's been impossible for me to fly with them for the last year and a half, but they're now preparing to swipe a chunk of my miles on December 31st anyway. And then there's their airfares: pricey and they've made it harder to earn miles. Plus they've put an extra stop in Phuket, whereas it's always been non-stop. I probably will fly with them again, because even when non-stop competition between Australia and Thailand returns, it isn't all that great and Thai's A350 is OK, assuming that's what they'll be using again on the route I fly. 

Thai Airways are a good airline...  Decent planes, decent service... 

Easily on Par with BA and Eva, but trailing behind the Middle Eastern Airlines such as Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. 

At the moment Thai Airways offers the one thing no other Airline is; Direct Flights between London and Bangkok (Eva and BA are not currently flying those routes direct). 

But, the issue with Thai Airways has always been price - Thai Airways is consistently far more expensive than its direct competitors.

We (my Family and I) fly Thai Airways with award flights (from ROP Credit Card). Thai Airways also offer competitive pricing on th routes to Japan. 

Thai airways also offer a premium service compared to regional Airlines such as Malaysian, Garuda, the Indian Airlines etc.

Thai Airways relies heavily on Thailands uber-rich who do not greatly consider the price of a ticket and will not spend time looking on the internet for better deals. These folk just get online, book the flight they want and are done with it (or they get someone to do it for them). 

Why to foreigners on this forum ‘have a go at Thai Airways all the time’ ??

Because we frequently read in the news of how Thai Airways is in major financial trouble.

We recognise how poorly run it is and how it prices itself out of the market leaving seats empty instead of offering better value for money for the customer and filling up flights. 

• Like 1

I haven't received payment for a return trip to Europe that was cancelled in the spring 2019.

Although I've sent numerous mails to Thai Airways they haven't bothered to reply.

I have mostly used Thai the last 15 years because they have direct flights to BKK.

This time I had to fly with Qatar Airways and man did it open my eyes.

Except for a short stop in Qatar the comfort and service was on another level compared to Thai

for a fraction of the price.

Bye, bye Thai Airways, you lost another customer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, howerde said:

Just had a look at TG website, and a lot of the lhr-bkk flights and return go via Hong kong/brussels etc a few seem direct, maybe just me putting in wrong details

They're only flying the LHR route once or twice a week.  The indirect ones are probably on the off days.

• Thanks 1