Anamai Poll finds most Thais are concerned about November 1 reopening

webfact

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

That's for sure. I can't help think that by blaming foreigners for the virus and Anutin's infamous comments last year, it's all part of the plan to distract Thais from criticising their government for all it's failings. More talk and fear of foreigners will maintain controls on everyone and divert attention from the Thai government. It will be interesting to see the poll attitudes to foreigners once the pandemic is well and truly over.

I'm reminded of a situation in June 2020 while travelling near Khao Sok in Surat Thani. I stopped at a roadside coffee shop and was greeted by the owner's husband outside in the garden, he spoke great English and was a nice chap. On trying to enter the shop to place my order, his wife said I must leave as "foreigners have Covid". She was adamant that I could not enter the shop. Her husband persuaded her to serve me coffee at the table outside which she did. Cleary she was <deleted> scared of foreigners and covid. 

Reminds me last year end March or early April, when checking in a hotel in Bangkok where me and my Thai partner had been long-time customers : refused to take us because, textually, "he is a farang". Dirty farangs, all COVID-ridden of course! And btw, we look very decent by any normal norms.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

>when the world is ready

The people are ready, unless you consider a small group of "leaders" as your overlord.

I hope you aren't the type who just waits for daddy govt to tell you what to do and how to think,

Yeah, most of Thailand are in that small group. Opening Thailand now, is too soon. Most of the population is unvaccinated and susceptible to getting and spreading covid. Every kid is unvaccinated. This move will kill thousands and it isn't necessary. 

It is these kind of opinions by the uneducated wanna be doctors, that spur on these wrongful decisions. You're just another some guy with a bad opinion.

Covid is currently as bad as it's ever been. It is the wrong time to open the country 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gejohesch said:

Reminds me last year end March or early April, when checking in a hotel in Bangkok where me and my Thai partner had been long-time customers : refused to take us because, textually, "he is a farang". Dirty farangs, all COVID-ridden of course! And btw, we look very decent by any normal norms.

When we drove through the Animal Safari last week The lady at the kiosk asked how long I had been in Thailand, she seemed genuinely concerned there was a Falang at her window, when I spoke to her in Thai and produced my pink ID card she relaxed and actually gave us a discount on the drive through Admission cost, which shocked the girlfriend and I.  So it shows that easing someone's fears does sometimes pay dividends. The window on the Kiosk did show dual pricing as well, Thai prices written in Thai and then Foreigner prices which were almost double.  Definitely getting ready for the return of folks. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The big majority of those 94% people who "has concerns" dose not realist how important tourism is to Thailand and without tourist's dollars millions are out of work, foreign earning are not coming in and the government's coffers are running on empty...

If one was to take truer survey of all Thais - across all classes - an overwhelming percentage wouldn't care one way or the other. 

Most, if not all, are usually suckered into polls and surveys of any nature. 

Sure is obvious among this dandy group.

"........especially the acceleration of vaccine administration so that each province achieves a 70% coverage....."

Most likely they will get to 60% quickly in December and then the curve of willing vaccine recipients will flatten like other places

What a different poll would reveal is that residents of Thailand are extremely concerned that the people are not fully vaccinated. 

Yet another poll would show that the high high levels of unemployment in the tourist industry are causing great anxiety among the people.

Foreigners crossing the border explain the incidence of covid in the country today, but we are talking about illegal entries from Burma, not fully vaccinated tourists. Tourists who are fully vaccinated and arrive with clear LTF tests represent no risk whatsoever and promise to spend billions in bars, restaurants and hotels.

This will delight all concerned.

Edited by cape
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, johnarth said:

your not understanding 2 jabers can spread the virus the same as no jabers you really need to get that in your head forget the <deleted>

You might be surprise as to the number that don't comprehend these scientific facts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

>when the world is ready

The people are ready, unless you consider a small group of "leaders" as your overlord.

I hope you aren't the type who just waits for daddy govt to tell you what to do and how to think,

What on earth makes you think that?

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

The big majority of those 94% people who "has concerns" dose not realist how important tourism is to Thailand and without tourist's dollars millions are out of work, foreign earning are not coming in and the government's coffers are running on empty...

Indeed.  A lot of people seem to only consider people working directly with tourists as being effected, but there's a massive knock-on effect due to lack of foreign people.

Things have been relaxed quite a lot lately, but my experience is that only malls and more expensive eateries are very busy, because their customers have money to spend.  The places that would have been occupied with the working class and poor are still looking pretty empty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

The 85% of Thais who have nothing to do with working in tourism or its related industries have a right to be worried. The country will do far better if efforts are concentrated on keeping the virus out of the manufacturing and food supply chain, focusing on exports which are a far greater revenue generator than tourism.

Tourism will come back. When the world is ready to travel again. Not just because they hang a 'now open' sign up.

Although only 15% may work directly in the tourism industry they support and send money to millions of other people not directly involved by remitting part of their income such as relatives in Issan

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

A safer thailand? Thailand does not factor safety into their decision making…

let’s go study drowning, construction accident and road fatality rates 

Exactly... in the early days of this circus, quoting someone here, or maybe elsewhere:

"A few people die as a result of a flu-like virus, so they shut the country down.

20,000+ die annually on the roads and they do nothing."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

Yeah, most of Thailand are in that small group. Opening Thailand now, is too soon. Most of the population is unvaccinated and susceptible to getting and spreading covid. Every kid is unvaccinated. This move will kill thousands and it isn't necessary. 

It is these kind of opinions by the uneducated wanna be doctors, that spur on these wrongful decisions. You're just another some guy with a bad opinion.

Covid is currently as bad as it's ever been. It is the wrong time to open the country 

Kids are not at risk of dying from covid.

Only the elderly and those with multiple comorbidities.  Tell me how vaccinated kids will save everyone.  Why not just allow everyone to choose if they want to be vaccinated?  The elderly and those at risk can choose if they want the vaccine or not.

Stats show that elderly make up the vast majority of deaths

65+ make up 13% of cases but 78% of deaths.

0-17 make up 15% of cases but 0.1154% of deaths

Thailand having limited supply of vaccines, you wish to inject the kids which make up nearly 0% of the deaths instead of just encouraging the elderly to make the choice of being injected.  I can tell you don't know anything and probably never had to make important decisions in your life/career as you never use numbers in your argument, just feelings.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

image.png.18379ff005f6b68ea3330833fb1c62e0.png

More fun stats for you to review

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/mortality-overview.htm

image.png.e4e2b61eda40b159780a35e37f9498b7.png

image.png.e16f1edc211f750f033f7d5ee453332b.png

Most common comorbidities don't look like things you typically find in kids/teens huh..  They seem to match common issues that elderly people have..

Edited by TooMuchTime
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

The 85% of Thais who have nothing to do with working in tourism or its related industries have a right to be worried. The country will do far better if efforts are concentrated on keeping the virus out of the manufacturing and food supply chain, focusing on exports which are a far greater revenue generator than tourism.

Tourism will come back. When the world is ready to travel again. Not just because they hang a 'now open' sign up.

With all due respect, writing from an other (quite larger) part of the world, the later is not only ready to travel again but has started quite a while ago

Many Thais have eaten the image of the evil foreigners from the government media. A detailed analysis of who overslept what does not take place. It is always easy to appeal to national unity and declare that all evil comes from outside. The result of such a survey does not surprise me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pinot said:

Probably won't kill thousands even if thousands are infected. 

Remember that the severely ill and death ratio is still quite minute. 

17 hours ago, bokningar said:

With the level of intrusion on personal privacy, they will have in Thailand from now on. The spy app they have dreamed up will keep people away. Only people desperate to reconnect with family would want to come and spend money in Thailand with no personal privacy at all. This sounds more like North Korea or China.

Paranoia is Rampant 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnarth said:

your not understanding 2 jabers can spread the virus the same as no jabers you really need to get that in your head forget the <deleted>

False. Vaccines are very effective at reducing infection and transmission. This is easily checked and as such your post is misinformation.

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

You might be surprise as to the number that don't comprehend these scientific facts.

You're one of them. The clear and definitive scientific evidence is that vaccines work very well to reduce transmission and infection. You have no excuse to not be aware of that and claiming otherwise here is irresponsible at best.

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Although only 15% may work directly in the tourism industry they support and send money to millions of other people not directly involved by remitting part of their income such as relatives in Issan

As do many of the other 85% who don't work in tourism - they send money home too. It's not just to Isaan either.

I wonder which sector of people were actually interviewed and what their employment status is??? 

Everyone needs to understand that somewhere along the way the country cannot sustain the status quo and the longer they put off opening the worse the current situation will get, Covid is not leaving us any time soon so live with it, deal with it as it comes and get on with life!!!