Entering the country on a 30 day exemption with return flight after 42 days

Kind regards,

with the relaxed rules for entering thailand we are truely happy to plan our trip for the beginning of november.

1. We would like to stay for 42 days. Therefore  a german national like me needs a tourist visa. The consulate in munich got no free dates till the end of november at least and the e-visa system will not start before 22.11. with no information yet about the time to process an e-visa.

Is it under the current circumstances possible to enter on a 30 day visa exempt, if the ticket shows a return date only after 42 days and extend the visa exemption during the period of stay for 15 days more at the local immigration?

2. There are no direct flights from Munich to Thailand at the moment.

Does the transit through another european country (on the list) affect the "need to stay in country 21 days before travelling"-rule?

Just to be sure.

Thank you

Last year I obtained on a 90-day Non-O and only realised after I submitted my COE application that my return flight was a long time after that. My intention was to get a 12 month extension and indeed I did. I was worried that they would reject my COE but they approved it.

In your situation though, I think it will probably be a problem for you. On that standard tourist Visa there is a very good chance you'll be rejected.

OP, yes you can enter Thailand visa exempt.

It's the airline that may insist on onward flight to issue you boarding pass.

If they reject the return flight you have you could book on the spot cheapest throw away flight. (Does not need to be return. Any onward flight is fine).

There are also companies that provide a legit booking to satisfy airline. Google eg "rent a flight" or similar.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts, but don´t get it wrong: I got no Tourist Visa due to the lack of dates/possibility to get one in time for november. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem: I'd just get the visa. And: No tricks or ways around (even if kind of legit). I don´t think that improves things.

May I kindly ask for ubonjoe to clear up?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sparkling said:

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts, but don´t get it wrong: I got no Tourist Visa due to the lack of dates/possibility to get one in time for november. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem: I'd just get the visa. And: No tricks or ways around (even if kind of legit). I don´t think that improves things.

May I kindly ask for ubonjoe to clear up?

1. You can get a 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry. There is no 15 day extension.

Immigration here does not ask to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival but the airline is likely to ass to see a ticket out of the country. Do a search for onward ticket and you find several sites offering temporary tickets for about $12 US that will be accepted by the airline when you check in.

2. Transiting through another country does not affect you being able to enter for the test and go if fully vaccinated. But it needs to be a transfer without entering the other country.

The onward flight thing is not a 'trick' as far as I can tell.  It is apparently a legit booking.  There are several websites that do it.  I know my airline carefully checked my visa dates last trip, so I will definitely be using one of these services.

https://blog.onwardticket.com/flight-without-plane-ticket/best-onward-ticket

The first one on that list can give you a booking right away, so theoretically you don't have to do it unless you run into a problem and the airport.  I would rather spend the $10 beforehand and have a hardcopy before I get to the airport, just for the piece of mind.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sparkling said:

Thanks for the link shdmn. Yes for the peace of mind.

With regards to your flight ticket I see from Munich that Emirates,KLM and Finnair offer flexible tickets(showing on skyscanner).I had a quick look at Emirates and it looks like with a free flight date change you just might have to pay some extra if you come back on a busier date.

So it would seem possible that you could book your return flight under 30 days before flying.Sort your extra days over there at immigration then change your return flight with airline you booked.

If you was to do that I would suggest booking direct with airline and book over the phone so you have it definitely that it is ok to do that.

Thanks again, but please unbonjoe:

I have a Thai Airways Ticket. Same as my wife, for now 41 days, because it was the best deal for us and we are in the frequent flyer program.

The Thailand Pass System asks for the duration of stay.

If I put in 41 days they will ask for a visa I don't have. If I put in 30 days, will it work with the onward ticket?

Is there anything special to know about the extension of the visa exemption? How long before the exemption ends may I apply for the extension?

Is it actually possible to apply for a Tourist Visa via the eVisa online System from 22.November while I am already in the country.

Please understand I am a bit nervous, because the trip is really important to us and coming to Thailand for over 30 years I never had any issues, because it was always well planned ahead and totally right.

15 minutes ago, Sparkling said:

Is there anything special to know about the extension of the visa exemption? How long before the exemption ends may I apply for the extension?

Is it actually possible to apply for a Tourist Visa via the eVisa online System from 22.November while I am already in the country.

You can apply for the extension prior to expiry of your stamped date from your visa exempt entry.

A week or so prior is common. It's a straight forward simple process. 1900baht.

You cannot obtain a tourist visa once inside Thailand.

You still seem confused about your onward flight requirement. This is for airline for boarding plane at departure to Thailand.

It will not be required at passport control when landing in Thailand.

You have 3 options.

1. Have a onward ticket within 30 day.

2. Buy a throw away cheapest flight available within 30 days

3. Purchase a flight ticket from online companies mentioned already, which has a life of perhaps 48 hours.

In fact I outlined this in second post of thread.

Edited by DrJack54

Thank you DrJack54! Nevermind the 1900 Baht. (I actually didn't think that I may get a visa while inside Thailand.) So for the travel documentation in the Thailand Pass System do I better get sort of return onward ticket or because the documentation of th Thai Airways flights are on the same sheet for both of us?

2 minutes ago, Sparkling said:

Thank you DrJack54! Nevermind the 1900 Baht. (I actually didn't think that I may get a visa while inside Thailand.) So for the travel documentation in the Thailand Pass System do I better get sort of return onward ticket or because the documentation of th Thai Airways flights are on the same sheet for both of us?

Your return flight with airline is irrelevant. It won't prevent you from having earlier ticket within the 30 days.

Nothing stopping you from obtaining another flight as outlined in options above.

You could inquire with airline that you intend to obtain 30 day extension and ask if your existing return flight will be enough.

For those traveling alone it's easy to try that at boarding counter and if any issue book cheapest flight you can find online. 

Obviously you would allow time and have wifi access.

Airlines sometimes accept the onward flight within 60 days with this explanation. However not water tight.

Some check in clerks of airlines would not even be aware of extension being possible. 

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know:

everything went well

-maybe except a little strange airport staff member in Frankfurt who tried to wind me up but maybe wasn't familiar with the souvereignity of female isaan farmers who made it to a leading position in europe ???? -

the young immigration officer at the entry counter in Suvarnabhumi was asking me questions but stamped me in without further problems after my explanation.

Therefore it was good to have the onward ticket and the pink ID which always gives a good impression as far as i experience.

The Test&Go (at that time) was also smooth, following the negative test we left. As acknoledged before our trip, the phuyai ban of the village expected us to inform him of our arrival. The person in charge accepted the arrival test because it was within 24 hours before we came. Otherwise they would actually wish to test us again. That would have been Ok for us. The test after day 6 was OK as well.

Immigration in Thailand was very friendly and the extension absolutly "straight forward".

Thanks again for the advice.

• Thanks 1