Options to stay in Thailand between 4-5 months?

Hi All,

I haven't attempted it yet as I'm waiting till the 1st November, but does anyone know whether the E-visa application process has been amended as the last time I applied for a SETV as it was a nightmare, does anyone know whether you still have to show a certain amount of funds in your bank account for so many months when applying, if I recall I was told that it wasn't needed for SETV & only for METV ( I may be wrong) but I had to as I couldn't proceed any further, I'm also assuming I only need to show a Flight booking  into Thailand & not a return & where you will be staying?

Also is there still a METV?  as I normally fly to Malaysia to get another SETV & not sure if this will be possible with all the travel restrictions......

Thanks in advance....

Baz

Strangely enough for a forum that (originally) was very active on Visa information these days we get little or no responses

You've asked the same question that I also did a month or so ago, again with virtually no response

Edited by Chivas

Back in March I applied for a 60 day single entry Tourist visa Uk

I wasn't aware of any financial requirement but received a response asking for proof of funds/bank statement.

For flights as it was covid time in full flow COE, clear tests, 14 day quarantine, insurance, I booked a return flight on Thai, never intending to use the return, my covid insurance AXA Thailand 60 day cover. 

Cost a bit more but went through the whole process without any issues. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You've asked the same question that I also did a month or so ago, again with virtually no response

The reason for little response is in the OP heading....4 to 5 months.

Let's work on 5 months.

Enter with a SETV. Plus extension.

That's 90 days. For the next 2 months normally you could do border bounce for visa exempt entry + another extension. That's 60 days. So 5 months all up.

Relies on exit from Thailand and reentry. Currently not possible via land.

An STV is an option but better suited for longer stay.

MTEV not currently available in most countries and even if was would also require exit from Thailand. 

Yes covid extensions are currently available and that would get someone to 5 months + without leaving Thailand (IF continue to be issued) 

Borders open when? Anyone's guess.

What solution for 5 month stay would you suggest for under 50 not married to Thai? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Let's work on 5 months.

That's 90 days. For the next 2 months normally you could do border bounce for visa exempt entry + another extension. That's 60 days. So 5 months all up.

MTEV not currently available in most countries and even if was would also require exit from Thailand. 

Yes covid extensions are currently available and that would get someone to 5 months + without leaving Thailand (IF continue to be issued) 

What solution for 5 month stay would you suggest for under 50 not married to Thai? 

Fair play Jack

Out of interest (and I was looking at 6 months) it was recommended (elsewhere) to go down the SETV route and then using the 30 days extension and after that contact a visa agent (I'm being tactful) as regards getting the 2nd SETV "locally"

Overall I haven't seen a better suggestion anywhere

Just now, Chivas said:

Fair play Jack

Out of interest (and I was looking at 6 months) it was recommended (elsewhere) to go down the SETV route and then using the 30 days extension and after that contact a visa agent (I'm being tactful) as regards getting the 2nd SETV "locally"

Overall I haven't seen a better suggestion anywhere

An agent cannot obtain a "2nd setv locally".

If you were wanting to use agent you would just enter visa exempt and buy something like a non O volunteering with 12 month extension.

However expensive and over kill if only wanting 6 months.

Alternative would be to enter with setv and obtain 30 day extension and then if covid extension unavailable obtain non O volunteering (without the 12 month extension). Still not  cheap but good for 6 months.

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Let's work on 5 months.

Yes, this is what I have been doing for many years, I'm not too bothered about land borders opening up, used to ride down to Satun border (Border hop) but on one occasion the Thai immigration officer gave me the third degree for not getting a another Visa so I stopped, so there's the option of flying into Malaysia, but I'm not sure how easy this will be, I'm looking at coming to Thailand at the end of next month so would be able to stay till the end of March, possibly things may of changed for better or worse who knows........

I have looked into the STV but like you said, its better suited for longer stays.......

Cheers

Baz

18 minutes ago, easydoor said:

Why no or not many answers on this kind of questions? Because this questions returns every week over and over again  with the same answers. People get tired to answer always the same questions.

Yes your probably right there & ill hold my hands up to asking similar questions every year lol 

8 minutes ago, baz69er said:

looking at coming to Thailand at the end of next month so would be able to stay till the end of March,

If you mean enter end November, then a SETV plus extension is 60+30.

That only takes you till end of February.

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

An agent cannot obtain a "2nd setv locally".

Again being mindful of forum rules I beg to differ lol

All 3 agents (extremely well known to everyone) said no problem naturally for a fee.

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

All 3 agents (extremely well known to everyone) said no problem naturally for a fee.

Stand corrected. News to me.

Since you mentioned "well known" then accept what your saying.

Again never heard of it as a possibility. Agents can obtain a non O for someone that entered on a SETV however never heard of obtaining another setv. Ever.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Is that simply a case of paying money to the agent and giving him/her your passport for a few days? Or are there other checks involved?

i had to show funds for a visa exempt entry in july 2021.  so i'd assume there is a show funds requirement for an SETV.  if you have to show a hotel booking, you could try booking a hotel reservation and then cancel it after you've recvd the SETV.  it is pretty easy to find bookings that can be canceled for no charge.  the proof of flight is likely a requirement so that'll be the tough part.  which flight does one book for the departure/throwaway ticket.  you could always buy a roundtrip but change departure date once you've arrived in thailand.  it might cost extra money but might be worth it in this case.  if the fare stays the same, might have to pay only a change fee.  those aren't real high.

while you are here on your 90 day stay (SETV plus ext), you will learn more on the situation ahead of you.  if border runs or flights aren't really easy to do, just go on home instead. 

edit:  i came in visa exempt so i had to show a return ticket within 45 days of arrival, i think that is now back to 30 days.  but i got lucky, asiana canceled my departure flight before i did the rebooking.  so i was able to change it to next year with no fee, no increase in fare.  the fee was going to be $200 which i was okay with but if it is free, i'll take it.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

STV (Special Tourist Visa) gives you 90 days of stay, with the possibility of two 90-days extensions, a total of up to 270 days stay in the Kingdom...????

I think the op was worried about showing bank funds and STV ask for them. I fact I think all visas do. Visa exempt doesn’t obviously. Have rules changed ?

9 hours ago, buick said:

i had to show funds for a visa exempt entry in july 2021.  so i'd assume there is a show funds requirement for an SETV.  if you have to show a hotel booking, you could try booking a hotel reservation and then cancel it after you've recvd the SETV.  it is pretty easy to find bookings that can be canceled for no charge.  the proof of flight is likely a requirement so that'll be the tough part.  which flight does one book for the departure/throwaway ticket.  you could always buy a roundtrip but change departure date once you've arrived in thailand.  it might cost extra money but might be worth it in this case.  if the fare stays the same, might have to pay only a change fee.  those aren't real high.

while you are here on your 90 day stay (SETV plus ext), you will learn more on the situation ahead of you.  if border runs or flights aren't really easy to do, just go on home instead. 

edit:  i came in visa exempt so i had to show a return ticket within 45 days of arrival, i think that is now back to 30 days.  but i got lucky, asiana canceled my departure flight before i did the rebooking.  so i was able to change it to next year with no fee, no increase in fare.  the fee was going to be $200 which i was okay with but if it is free, i'll take it.

Thank you for the information.....

10 hours ago, buick said:

the proof of flight is likely a requirement so that'll be the tough part.  which flight does one book for the departure/throwaway ticket.

Actually not tough at all anymore.  Due to covid, many airlines are issuing fully refundable tickets.   Emirates and Qatar are examples that I am familiar with that will refund in full any ticket no questions asked.   Many airlines are also doing the same.  Its very handy for those of us that routinely travel on one way tickets.

23 hours ago, underthesky said:

Is that simply a case of paying money to the agent and giving him/her your passport for a few days? Or are there other checks involved?

I suspect the first part of your post is spot on.