Some questions about Thailand Pass

My wife and I both have Thailand Elite visas. We are in Florida, in the USA but want to come back to Thailand in the next few weeks.

We were both fully vaccinated almost 6 months and have CDC cards with 2 stamps.

Here are my questions:

1. As far as Covid $50,000 insurance since we will be stamped in for a full year do we need to get 1 year's worth of Covid insurance or if we bought an ongoing ticket a month later could the insurance be shortened to one month?

2. Where do get the Covid tests in Florida? Is there a resource that tells me which places are approved by Thai immigration?

3. We are interested in getting a 3rd, booster shot which is available to us but I am concerned Thailand may see this 3rd stamp and get confused if it was not more than 14 days ago and we depart sooner than that. Should we skip getting the booster for this reason or try to get it on a separate card?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. It can depend upon the embassy or consulate you submit the Thailand Pass to. If you submit a flight out of the country that may be accepted instead of one year of insurance. Do you have any personal medical insurance that would meet the insurance requirements. If only needs to meet the $50,000 requirement and a statement that it covers covid 19.

2. Immigration does not approve a TP and has nothing to do with them. The embassies and consulate do not have a list of approved testing testing labs.. I have read of people using a test from Walgreens or CVC drug stores that was accepted.

3. The 2 week requirement would not apply to a booster shot. It is only needed for the first 2 shots you got.

Good information, re item 1. Above; as Joe mentions the health insurance is different to what was commonly needed to gain a CoE. The insurance cover now needed must include 3 items:

• General health cover (applicable to the type of visa being used)
  • Covid- 19 cover
  • A minimum cover equivalent to not less than US$50,000.

So now comes the search for an appropriate policy, keeping in mind not to get confused in terms of the requirements per type of visa.

And keeping in mind that some policies can only be purchased by foreigners up to 64 or 65 years old.

So for folks older than 64 / 65 (me) this brings another challenge to find an appropriate/accepted policy. 

I'm hoping others will share whatever valuable information they find and especially in regard to:  So for folks older than 64 / 65 (me) this brings another challenge to find an appropriate/accepted policy.  

Members who do post their findings please be clear about what type of visa you're using and age. Thanks, appreciated.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wasabi said:

1. As far as Covid $50,000 insurance since we will be stamped in for a full year do we need to get 1 year's worth of Covid insurance or if we bought an ongoing ticket a month later could the insurance be shortened to one month?

Insurance should cover the duration of your visa / permission of stay. 

2. Where do get the Covid tests in Florida? Is there a resource that tells me which places are approved by Thai immigration?

A RT PCR Test - there is no specifically approved medical centres / clinics etc.

3. We are interested in getting a 3rd, booster shot which is available to us but I am concerned Thailand may see this 3rd stamp and get confused if it was not more than 14 days ago and we depart sooner than that. Should we skip getting the booster for this reason or try to get it on a separate card?

Avoid potential confusion and do not show the the 3rd Booster information when applying. 

14 hours ago, wasabi said:

Where do get the Covid tests in Florida?

Where in FL are you? we got ours in Orlando . had the test done in the morning and the results by noon. Even if you are not near Orlando they might have an office near you. You need Rc PCR test

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/orlando/

At 6 months you are nearing the end of the effectiveness   of your vaccine and you will soon need a Booster. Get it in the US, even if you have to pay. We also got our vaccines last spring and we find it near impossible to get booster shot here in LOS, we might have to come back to the States or go to Europe. 

Edited by sirineou

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Where in FL are you? we got ours in Orlando . had the test done in the morning and the results by noon. Even if you are not near Orlando they might have an office near you. You need Rc PCR test

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/orlando/

At 6 months you are nearing the end of the effectiveness   of your vaccine and you will soon need a Booster. Get it in the US, even if you have to pay. We also got our vaccines last spring and we find it near impossible to get booster shot here in LOS, we might have to come back to the States or go to Europe. 

I am 40 minutes outside of Orlando so the place you suggested is a possibility.

Just now, wasabi said:

I am 40 minutes outside of Orlando so the place you suggested is a possibility.

They were very professional, and emailed us the results with in a few hours, we highly recommend them. It was probably the easiest part of the whole process at the time. 

Good luck 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good information, re item 1. Above; as Joe mentions the health insurance is different to what was commonly needed to gain a CoE. The insurance cover now needed must include 3 items:

• General health cover (applicable to the type of visa being used)
  • Covid- 19 cover
  • A minimum cover equivalent to not less than US$50,000.

So now comes the search for an appropriate policy, keeping in mind not to get confused in terms of the requirements per type of visa.

And keeping in mind that some policies can only be purchased by foreigners up to 64 or 65 years old.

So for folks older than 64 / 65 (me) this brings another challenge to find an appropriate/accepted policy. 

I'm hoping others will share whatever valuable information they find and especially in regard to:  So for folks older than 64 / 65 (me) this brings another challenge to find an appropriate/accepted policy.  

Members who do post their findings please be clear about what type of visa you're using and age. Thanks, appreciated.

Just now, jamesfreeman said:

It must also be asked whether  the insurance must cover the entire period of visa validity, as I have read here and one returnee has told me. That condition ruled out any foreign travel for me, as there is a 5-month gap between the expiration of my normal policy and the visa renewal date. The supplemental coverage offered by my provider was prohibitively expensive for a short trip. 

As for the age cut-off it is possible to find companies based in Thailand that accept people older than 65. AXA, for example, will accept applicants up to age 79.Some of their foreign based providers under their umbrella will go higher. Mine, Pacific Prime, has 74 as the cut-off age. 

But I am concerned to read that one person today who tried to register on Thai Pass was denied because his insurance indicated he was older than 73.

Could any system be more confusing and frustrating? 

Just now, jamesfreeman said:

It must also be asked whether  the insurance must cover the entire period of visa validity, as I have read here and one returnee has told me. That condition ruled out any foreign travel for me, as there is a 5-month gap between the expiration of my normal policy and the visa renewal date. The supplemental coverage offered by my provider was prohibitively expensive for a short trip. 

As for the age cut-off it is possible to find companies based in Thailand that accept people older than 65. AXA, for example, will accept applicants up to age 79.Some of their foreign based providers under their umbrella will go higher. Mine, Pacific Prime, has 74 as the cut-off age. 

But I am concerned to read that one person today who tried to register on Thai Pass was denied because his insurance indicated he was older than 73.

Could any system be more confusing and frustrating? 

Woops, age 70, not 79 was the AXA answer I got todaym

On 10/31/2021 at 5:09 PM, ubonjoe said:

1. It can depend upon the embassy or consulate you submit the Thailand Pass to. If you submit a flight out of the country that may be accepted instead of one year of insurance. Do you have any personal medical insurance that would meet the insurance requirements. If only needs to meet the $50,000 requirement and a statement that it covers covid 19.

2. Immigration does not approve a TP and has nothing to do with them. The embassies and consulate do not have a list of approved testing testing labs.. I have read of people using a test from Walgreens or CVC drug stores that was accepted.

3. The 2 week requirement would not apply to a booster shot. It is only needed for the first 2 shots you got.

Would Medicare work for insurance?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Doesn't cover you overseas.

Sorry, I didn't say I have Medicare Advantage which does. No limit.

Though I have to pay, then get reimbursed, I am covered. Can print out that page but might be incomprehensible to immigration.

8 minutes ago, elgenon said:

It's just generic. Covers any hospitalization out of the US. No chance?

Unless they are willing to give you a cover letter stipulating it covers you for Covid, IMO, it will be rejected. 

If you have time and everything else sorted could always try it while looking for a policy in the case it gets rejected.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, Salerno said:

Unless they are willing to give you a cover letter stipulating it covers you for Covid, IMO, it will be rejected. 

If you have time and everything else sorted could always try it while looking for a policy in the case it gets rejected.

My experience with large insurance companies is they don't want to do anything out of the ordinary. They , like most places, have a staffing shortage and also are swamped because of open enrollment. But I will try. Thanks for advice.

Getting immigration to understand that a policy that covers all hospital expenses with no limit would cover Covid probably would be a stretch.

It has no limit so better than 50,000 baht.

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Getting immigration to understand that a policy that covers all hospital expenses with no limit would cover Covid probably would be a stretch.

No doubt, there's a report from a BM here that had his COE refused because his policy coverage stated "unlimited". You have to laugh sometimes. Can't remember how it ended up but you might stumble over the post, pretty sure it was in the past couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

No doubt, there's a report from a BM here that had his COE refused because his policy coverage stated "unlimited". You have to laugh sometimes. Can't remember how it ended up but you might stumble over the post, pretty sure it was in the past couple of weeks.

Maybe I should carry an English-Thai dictionary with me! 555

• Haha 1