Hua Hin reopening: Uncertainty over how many tourists will actually visit

webfact

udom-696x465.png

Mr Udom Srimahachota

By Paul Andrews

The reopening of Hua Hin to fully vaccinated international tourists is due to take place on Monday (Nov 1).

For months, officials from the public and private sectors involved in tourism, business and public health have been planning the intricacies of reopen the town to foreign tourists after almost two years of closure.

However, one senior figure involved in the tourism industry has questioned how many foreign tourists will actually bother visiting Hua Hin at all from November 1.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/hua-hin-reopening-uncertainty-over-how-many-tourists-will-actually-visit/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-11-01

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

However, one senior figure involved in the tourism industry has questioned how many foreign tourists will actually bother visiting Hua Hin at all from November 1.

I've got 5-fingers on one hand, I don't think I'll need to use them all this month.

There seem to be plenty of domestic tourists in Hua Hin at the moment, the car park by the old ferry terminal at Khao Takiab was packed on Saturday, with cars queueing up to get in, and leave, probably all wanting to leave Bangkok before the massive influx of tourists expected there this week, the main road through the town is certainly a lot busier now..

A lot of Thai families on the beach with sellers doing a roaring trade in mats, the Thai people certainly adapt to the current market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

define packed - 90% of pattaya is shut down shuttered and in darkness 

The good places (hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions) are busy. However, it's just on weekends and mostly Thai people. 

Have been to Jomtien this weekend for a short holiday. Hotel with private beach packed with Thai families, but they offer massive COVID discounts at the moment. 

Beach cafés and seafood restaurant packed (again, only the popular and good ones). Having out for dinner on Saturday. Pizza it was. Drove to four or five places with good Google rating, either closed or no customer inside, then I don't go. Only one place was busy and almost couldn't get a seat. Again, the food there was outstanding.

I come to think that some kind of purge has set in since the pandemic and closure of Thailand for international arrivals.

Previously every dick and Tom tried to open a restaurant or hotel or resort and it was doing okay because there were enough customer. 

Now, with decreasing numbers and also money a bit tighter, people are looking for quality instead of quantity. 

Observed the same thing during Phuket sandbox. The good and popular places survived

• Like 1

In my modest opinion, of foreigners there will come some more of the usual snowbirds, but only few real tourists, but no matter what the final count is, TAT will claim that the reopening was a success; just like Phuket's sandbox...????