Thailand Near Bottom On Peace Index

ColPyat

Sooooooo if your country is at peace with its neighbors and internally, yet has a strong military and military budget ... supports UN actions across the globe in war torn areas .... your peace index sucks .... but if you spend squat etc etc etc

No read the methodology.

Regards

PS It would appear that the initiative comes for a businessman, Steve Killelea, founder of Integrated Research

well if it IS him it explains getting HH the Dalai Lama's name on the list :o Could also explain why a standing army is bad etc ....

and I did read the methodology :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooooo if your country is at peace with its neighbors and internally, yet has a strong military and military budget ... supports UN actions across the globe in war torn areas .... your peace index sucks .... but if you spend squat etc etc etc

No read the methodology.

Regards

PS It would appear that the initiative comes for a businessman, Steve Killelea, founder of Integrated Research

well if it IS him it explains getting HH the Dalai Lama's name on the list :o Could also explain why a standing army is bad etc ....

Excuse me what is this [_] supposed to mean, are you suggesting HH would support something for any other reason than having a believe in its value?

Regards

the info they are using is mostly 2005-2006 ... but reading all the info on it ... well it's pretty silly overall :D

Would you mind please, and stop trashing my thread with these sort of comments. If you are critical of this report, then please with reasoned replies and not just comments such as "silly", "drivel", etc...

----------------------------

Actually things have improved dramatically in Thailand since 2005, 2006 according to a recently released issue of DC comics Superman's Adventures in Bizzaro World... :o

If you talk about your country there - it is involved presently in two open wars (one not sanctioned by the UN), and several covert wars. That may have contributed to the rather low position in that index.

What may also have contributed is that it may be internally at peace, but has the highest murder rate in the western world, the maybe largest distribution of weapons in the hands of private citizens, and the highest per capita prison inmate rate in the world.

I personally do not see much of a problem with how certain countries have reached their positions there. Thailand is for me no surprise, though sobering that my personal thoughts are again validated by a statistic.

I also do not see much of a problem with the methology. The numbers may be dated (even though i have never seen any complex statistic with any less dated numbers), but they are not fiddled with to give some country any sort of advantage over another.

I don't see that entirely subjective views are made into a statistic, such as with the Global Happiness Index (which i personally do have my serious doubts about), but very dry numbers are used according to a methology that is used equally with all countries in the report.

It occurs to me, that you maybe have more problems with the positions certain countries have there, and that this contradicts the opinions you sprout here, than the actual project itself. That's why all the very nasty and partly emotional comments and put downs.

I never mentioned my country .... and no I am not surprised that you use this _____ of _____ to attempt to validate your thoughts :o

I didn't go through the list in depth :D instead I read the background info .... found it to be silly and moved on! But I don't have the axe to grind that you seem to :D So what occurs to you is yet again wrong :D

No read the methodology.

Regards

Excuse me what is this [_] supposed to mean, are you suggesting HH would support something for any other reason than having a believe in its value?

Regards

it would help if you used another color or pulled your comments out of the quotes... and no if you look at info on Steve K you'll see what I meant.

I never mentioned my country .... and no I am not surprised that you use this _____ of _____ to attempt to validate your thoughts :o

I didn't go through the list in depth :D instead I read the background info .... found it to be silly and moved on! But I don't have the axe to grind that you seem to :D So what occurs to you is yet again wrong :D

Axe to grind?

For not having an axe to grind, regardless of your use of smilies, you have here in the course of this thread used more than a few emotionally charged labels to describe this project. Given the number of posts here on this thread by you, i don't really see how you "moved on".

Anyhow, seems that both A_Traveller, and me, and we both do not see eye to eye in most issues, do not see much problem with the methology, have tried to painstakingly explain you why, just to be faced with a continous use of labels such as "silly", or "drivel" without proper explanations.

If you cannot express yourself factually, why don't you just do what you say, and move on?

"well if it IS him it explains getting HH the Dalai Lama's name on the list"

The Index is the brainchild of Australian IT entrepreneur and philanthropist Steve Killelea.

“We believe there is a link between the peacefulness and the wealth of nations therefore

business has a key role to play in peace,” said Mr Killelea.

Nobel Laureate the Dalai Lama said: “Compiling and maintaining an Index of which countries are

the most peaceful and publishing the results, will undoubtedly make the factors and qualities that

contribute to that status better known and will encourage people to foster them in their own

countries.”

Link

Two gentlemen not widely known for indulging in silliness and drivel.

Edited by old blighty

I never mentioned my country .... and no I am not surprised that you use this _____ of _____ to attempt to validate your thoughts :D

Axe to grind?

For not having an axe to grind, regardless of your use of smilies, you have here in the course of this thread used more than a few emotionally charged labels to describe this project. Given the number of posts here on this thread by you, i don't really see how you "moved on".

Anyhow, seems that both A_Traveller, and me, and we both do not see eye to eye in most issues, do not see much problem with the methology, have tried to painstakingly explain you why, just to be faced with a continous use of labels such as "silly", or "drivel" without proper explanations.

If you cannot express yourself factually, why don't you just do what you say, and move on?

Yet again ... the axe comes out!

emotionally charged labels ... it IS a silly thing ... it IS filled with drivel .... sorry you cannot see that :bah:

BTW ... since you brought my country of origin (how's that for a PC word?) what is yours? If you have ever said I do not remember seeing it!

So ... let us take Australia as an example .... I found their location on the chart telling :bah:

and another BTW .... 2 threads on the same topic? :o

emotionally charged labels ... it IS a silly thing ... it IS filled with drivel .... sorry you cannot see that :D

BTW ... since you brought my country of origin (how's that for a PC word?) what is yours? If you have ever said I do not remember seeing it!

So ... let us take Australia as an example .... I found their location on the chart telling :D

Thanks for destroying my thread.

And no, i have not mentioned my country of origin. Stop prying.

emotionally charged labels ... it IS a silly thing ... it IS filled with drivel .... sorry you cannot see that :D

So ... let us take Australia as an example .... I found their location on the chart telling :D

Thanks for destroying my thread.

And no, i have not mentioned my country of origin. Stop prying.

If you are not going to discuss yours ... you shouldn't discuss mine :D as for destroying YOUR thread .... well again that is a piece of silliness Edited by jdinasia

The report contains a definition of peace as more than the absence of violence. This derives from Johan Galtung. Galtung emphasises that the removal of aspects of structural violence does not bring peace, but that positive concepts (inclusion, social justice, for example) must be built and maintained. Galtung is widely accepted in academic circles as the world authority on these matters.

Organisations such as the International Institute for Strategic Studies and the International Peace Research Institute (PRIO), contributed to the research. These are, of course, centres of professional competence, with international renown.

The methodology was designed by the Economist Intelligence Unit, subject to rigorous examination by experts, clearly stated and consistently applied.

So what is so “silly” about Peace, Love and Understanding.

No “drivel “ here, but an extremely successful and wealthy guy putting his money where his mouth is. Well done Mr Killelea.

The report contains a definition of peace as more than the absence of violence. This derives from Johan Galtung. Galtung emphasises that the removal of aspects of structural violence does not bring peace, but that positive concepts (inclusion, social justice, for example) must be built and maintained. Galtung is widely accepted in academic circles as the world authority on these matters.

Organisations such as the International Institute for Strategic Studies and the International Peace Research Institute (PRIO), contributed to the research. These are, of course, centres of professional competence, with international renown.

The methodology was designed by the Economist Intelligence Unit, subject to rigorous examination by experts, clearly stated and consistently applied.

No “drivel “ here, but an extremely successful and wealthy guy putting his money where his mouth is. Well done Mr Killelea.

Johan Galtung .... well known in some circles ... and founder of PRIO .... Galtung is not as highly regarded universally as you would wish "world authority on these matters" is more than a bit of an exagerration.His concept of "Peace Journalism" is something I agree with on occassion ... but not always .. not even often! PRIO ... again known in some circles but not as highly redarded as you would wish.

The IISS IS however well known and well thought of pretty much universally .... what is it they contributed though? I would expect mostly raw data to be presented by others ... <will look into it more at a later date ... since it IS getting late>

The rest of the manipulation of the data is dome through a world-view that may or may not have any validity past the wishes of the people agreeing about the emotions of a country and the meanings of their perceptions :o

As for Steve K? When you fund a group with a bias to begin with <<even if the bias may be admirable>> you tend to get slanted results.

0215 is far too late to be looking for the slant

Johan Galtung .... well known in some circles ... and founder of PRIO .... Galtung is not as highly regarded universally as you would wish "world authority on these matters" is more than a bit of an exagerration.His concept of "Peace Journalism" is something I agree with on occassion ... but not always .. not even often! PRIO ... again known in some circles but not as highly redarded as you would wish.

http://www.transcend.org/t_database/members

An experienced peace worker and Professor of Peace Studies, he (Galtung) is widely regarded as the founder of the academic discipline of peace research and one of the leading pioneers of peace and conflict transformation in theory and practice. He has played an active role in helping mediate and prevent violence in 45 major conflicts around the world over the past four decades, and is author of the United Nations’ first ever manual for trainers and participants on "Conflict Transformation by Peaceful Means: The TRANSCEND Approach” (UNDP 2000). He has taught Peace Studies at the Universities of Hawai'i, Witten/Herdecke, Tromsoe, Alicante, Ritsumeikan and the European Peace University, among many others. Galtung established the Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO) in 1959, the Journal of Peace Research in 1964, and co-launched the Nordic Institute for Peace Research (NIFF) in 2000.

He has published more than 1000 articles covering a wide-range of fields, including peaceful conflict transformation, deep culture, peace pedogogy, reconciliation, development, peace building and empowerment, global governance, direct structural and cultural peace/violence, peace journalism, and reflections on current events, and more than 100 books translated into dozens of languages. His most recent books include Transcend and Transform (Pluto Press, 2004), Searching for Peace the Road to TRANSCEND (Pluto, 2000 & 2002), Peace by Peaceful Means: Peace and Conflict, Development and Civilization. (Sage, 1996), Collective Essays on Peace Research and Methodology (Christian Ejlers, Copenhagen) 60 Speeches on War and Peace (PRIO, 1990)].

Prof. Galtung is a consultant to several UN agencies and a constantly traveling trainer/lecturer.

Holder of:

Right Livelihood Award (aka Alternative Nobel Peace Prize), 1987

Bajaj International Award for Promoting Gandhian Values, 1993

Norwegian Literary Prize Brage, 2000

Dr honoris causa, University of Tampere, 1975, peace studies

Dr honoris causa, University of Cluj, 1976, future studies

Dr honoris causa, Uppsala University, 1987, social sciences

Dr honoris causa, Soka University, Tokyo, 1990, peace/buddhism

Dr honoris causa, Universität Osnabrück, 1995, peace studies

Dr honoris causa, Università di Torino, 1998, sociology of law

Dr honoris causa, FernUniversität Hagen, 2000, philosophy

Dr honoris causa, Universidad de Alicante, 2002, sociology

Profesor honorario, Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, 1981

Honorarprofessor, Freie Universität Berlin, 1984-1993

Honorary professor, Sichuan University, Chengdu, 1986

Honorarprofessor, Universität Witten/Herdecke, Witten, 1993

As I said, a world authority on these matters.

So what is so “silly” about Peace, Love and Understanding?