Consumers complain of rising prices at local fresh markets

webfact

249760403_2084487178369252_8326254867153247944_n-696x522.jpg

By Paul Andrews

Locals have hit out at what they say are rising prices at local fresh markets throughout Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The price of fresh vegetables on sale at the local fresh market have risen steadily in recent months, say market traders.

Prices rose during the recent vegetarian festival and then due to flooding in central Thailand affecting farming and supply chains, resulting in a shortage of some produce, prices have risen further still.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/consumers-complain-of-rising-prices-at-local-fresh-markets/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-11-02

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Prices rose during the recent vegetarian festival and then due to flooding in central Thailand affecting farming and supply chains, resulting in a shortage of some produce, prices have risen further still.

Always an excuse to raise the prices but never a reason to lower them.

• Like 1

Not confined to local markets. Shopped at Makro today iceberg lettuce gone up from 79 bht/kilo to 269/kilo other lettuce up 30% second rise this year, tomatoes too up, salads suddenly expensive. Watermelon and Cantaloupe up around 25%, only apples and grapes seemed at usual prices. Diesel prices??, flooding??? or just plain greed. Yes I know some things are seasonal but never to this degree. Off to my local fruit shop tomorrow to see if they have better stock and prices. Just got 5 hands of bananas off our own tree and they taste so much better.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Shopped at Makro today ...........

Me too,

Frozen chips were down from 99bht/2kg to 79bht/2kg ......... I bought 5 bags for the freezer.

Mainland Vintage cheddar same as the past 5 years 265bht for 500gm.

Full Moon Dark wine coolers same as when I arrived in 2009, 295bht for a box of 12.

Zilk toilet tissue still 99bht for 24, same as 2009.

Two Pigs bacon 365bht for 1Kg same for past 5 years.

Aro Spaghetti 75bht/kg same as always.

Don't know about veggies, the misses always buys from roadside stalls.

I avoid eating anything green.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I remember in the U.K. Fish and Chip shops put the price of chips up because of the cost of new potatoes, the price never come down again when the potatoes were old !

Well I remember getting fish and chips in the UK for ninepence (fish 6d/chips 3d), but that was few weeks ago! :licklips: