Number of holidays / vacation days

djayz

Will vary school to school. Most let you go end March. I've been let go as early as March 10. One school let us go officially March 31 but really it was end February after grades were in.

October usually depends on the calendar, expect only a week. It's usually 1.5 weeks. Unofficially it could be three weeks.

Only Triam Udom Suksa of public schools I'm aware gives Dec break.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, Chad3000 said:

I've been let go as early as March 10. One school let us go officially March 31 but really it was end February after grades were in.

Heh. Here's a neat trick I know one school does. They let farangs go at the beginning of March. Then in order to start work at a new school, you need the document from the labor office showing your last day of work. The school is required by law to give this to you. I've heard of farangs begging for this document after they go, with no answer.

Finally, the document comes to them during Songkran in May. It says their last day was at the end of April. According to the labor office, they were still working in March and April, though they had left.

Somebody gets to pocket two months of salary, from many farangs, for many years. Nice little earner.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Heh. Here's a neat trick I know one school does. They let farangs go at the beginning of March. Then in order to start work at a new school, you need the document from the labor office showing your last day of work. The school is required by law to give this to you. I've heard of farangs begging for this document after they go, with no answer.

Finally, the document comes to them during Songkran in May. It says their last day was at the end of April. According to the labor office, they were still working in March and April, though they had left.

Somebody gets to pocket two months of salary, from many farangs, for many years. Nice little earner.

Songkran is in April.

If you have a work permit the scheme above does not work. 

Edited by puchooay

Legal minimum is 13 days paid holidays, this is usually the traditional days like New Years, Buddhist days and Royal Birthdays, they can be 'observed' on other days if you are already having a day off on that day or be paid overtimes if you are working on the days, the employer should have a notice out saying which days count as the company's official holidays, most decent employer will observe more than the 13 mimimum

employee that's been working for 1 year are also entitled to minimum 6 days of paid leave, typically more leave are given for longer tenure

so the minimum paid leave for Thailand is 13+6 days 

Edited by digbeth
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, puchooay said:

Songkran is in April.

If you have a work permit the scheme above does not work. 

Oops, meant to say in May after Songkran. This month is a nail biter for many teachers as they collect all the documents for their new school, some of which must come from their old school.

A few of us are lucky to enjoy the same school for six or so years, while the rest of us must endure a school hopping journey across the LOS, chasing better salaries and working conditions. Pretty much fate determines where they might be. At least it makes for an overall more interesting experience abroad.

Indeed, these teachers I spoke of had work permits. I reckon you're suggesting there's an issue with the dates, that those of their contract and actual working periods must match the permit. Most know this is rarely the case.

Most teachers don't get the WP until 3-6 months into the term, due to schools dragging their feet, and/or a difficult local labor office. Yes, for those first few months they are working illegally, but that's the way it is. Thus their WPs are usually off, shifted by a few months, dated around 3 months after they began work, and continuing for 3 months after they had left. Such might be done deliberately to facilitate the scheme I spoke of.

"How are they working around Songkran" you might say? That's where all those silly English camps and school trips come in. You'll often see admins snapping away selfies during these events, not just for fun, but if the question comes up as to what they had been doing.

And thus, school directors and agencies are left in charge of surplus salaries of 1-2 months per each farang, after they had been sent packing in March, monies which they then dutifully direct toward the betterment of the future of Thailand, vested in its dear children, with things such as:

1) Benz and BMW payments

2) European vacations

3) Latest iPhones

4) Gold and plastic surgery for their mia nois ????

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thus their WPs are usually off, shifted by a few months, dated around 3 months after they began work, and continuing for 3 months after they had left

Work permits will only be issued to the end of the contract, as will the extension of stay based on employment. 

Also there is a tax implication. To get a new work permit, or to get an existing one extended, you need the tax paid form from the tax office. Those dates will be in line with the contract.

When your employment at a school finishes, the school are under obligation to issue you with the correct documents to hand in and cancel your work permit and to cancel your extension of stay. This must be done on the last day of employment. That would be either an agreed date or the last date of your contract. It cannot be a date after end of contract. Iff this is not done the teacher will be on overstay from that date.

Many of your posts seem to lean towards schemes that schools run to make extra money, most of which are simply impossible to achieve.

Edited by puchooay

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Oops, meant to say in May after Songkran. This month is a nail biter for many teachers as they collect all the documents for their new school, some of which must come from their old school.

Incorrect.

Most new hires happen in April, ready for the new term in May. Schools will be open to students on or around the 10th of May. Teachers will normally start a week or so earlier.

Not sure what you mean when you speak about what I have quoted. There are no new documents needed for a new school. There are documents required for a new extension or visa and a new work permit. None of these documents come from the old school. That would have been taken care of on the last day of employments which, as stated by another poster, must be the last day of contract which will also be the last day of the work permit and the last day of the extension of stay. 

You mention not knowing where in Thailand people will be teaching next. Work permits are provincial so if moving to a new province then a new work permit must be applied for. If the teacher has remained in Thailand between jobs, maybe they are married and have got a 60 day extension based on marriage, they will need to show tax payments for the previous year in order to get a new extension and work permit. If they left the country in order to get a new visa for their new job, there is a chance they would have been asked for a tax receipt by border control.

If a school really has been up to what you say they have, they would need to have paid the tax and social security for the teacher too. Your idea of simply lying about the leave dates to pocket the money are just not accurate and likely it is something you like to write to tarnish people.

• Thanks 1