Phuket hits top in Airbnb holiday stay searches

snoop1130

On 11/4/2021 at 5:26 PM, snoop1130 said:

Phuket has become the top choice among searches for accommodations in Thailand on the Airbnb platform

Isn't airbnb illegal. 

Don't you need a hotel license or similar to rent out property for short stays, daily/weekly rentals in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Bar girls (prostitution) are illegal too. Technically.

But Bargirl don't cheat the Thai govt  (and by extension, the Thai people), out of due tax contributions.

Nor do they cheat the hotel industry out of their deserved bookings. 

More and more condos are posting warning notices in the lobby about this, and pretty soon there will be a telephone number specifically for reporting these cases. Good. I didn't buy my condo for it to be overrun with tourists and causing unnecessary wear and tear on the common areas, not to mention overcrowding.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

But Bargirl don't cheat the Thai govt  (and by extension, the Thai people), out of due tax contributions.

Nor do they cheat the hotel industry out of their deserved bookings. 

More and more condos are posting warning notices in the lobby about this, and pretty soon there will be a telephone number specifically for reporting these cases. Good. I didn't buy my condo for it to be overrun with tourists and causing unnecessary wear and tear on the common areas, not to mention overcrowding.

I own a house in a gated village close to the tourist strip. A couple of owners have rented their homes to these tourists for short term, generally overcrowding, groups of people, they get drunk and are very noisy. 
We, the residents are always complaining about the noise late at night. 
It's really annoying. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I own a house in a gated village close to the tourist strip. A couple of owners have rented their homes to these tourists for short term, generally overcrowding, groups of people, they get drunk and are very noisy. 
We, the residents are always complaining about the noise late at night. 
It's really annoying. 

Call police/immigration/tax office and Hotel Association. At our condo we've done this a few times and now the owners (both Thai and falang) stopped doing it. We've recently also put up large signs in Thai/English and Chinese warning of this, as well as the official govt warning to owners, so any tourists who show up at the lobby looking to "check in"  are scared off.

The police especially have been pretty helpful (even without tea money) because us "good" owners are trying to protect everyone from the "bad" owners risking COVID transmission (555^^) because they are not authorized to act as a hotel nor are condos SHA/SHA+ certified.  

We had about 20 a-hole owners like this in our building (out of 120 units). Now they are all trying to sell 555. 

If the tourists can't show a rental contract that is 1 month+, then the authorities will take action.

airbnb.jpg

warning.jpg

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Call police/immigration/tax office and Hotel Association. At our condo we've done this a few times and now the owners (both Thai and falang) stopped doing it. We've recently also put up large signs in Thai/English and Chinese warning of this, as well as the official govt warning to owners, so any tourists who show up at the lobby looking to "check in"  are scared off.

The police especially have been pretty helpful (even without tea money) because us "good" owners are trying to protect everyone from the "bad" owners risking COVID transmission (555^^) because they are not authorized to act as a hotel nor are condos SHA/SHA+ certified.  

We had about 20 a-hole owners like this in our building (out of 120 units). Now they are all trying to sell 555. 

If the tourists can't show a rental contract that is 1 month+, then the authorities will take action.

airbnb.jpg

warning.jpg

Yes, I think using the covid card, it's very good solution.

This will win support from the residents.

It's dangerous letting unknown people into our gated community. 

Not knowing who these people are, using our facilities, mixing with the residents. 

I'll talk to our group. 

• Like 2