Pattaya Tourism and Business Associations again call for alcohol ban to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

1973085-1024x768.jpeg

Pattaya business operators, led by the Pattaya Tourism and Business Association President, are asking, once again, for permission to sell alcohol in restaurants or allow the reopening of the nighttime economy following the start of the Pattaya Music Festival this weekend.

This is only the latest in a near-daily push by business owners from across the spectrum, including in indirectly-related industries like hotels, retail, and general tourism to allow at the very least legal sales of alcohol in restaurants in Pattaya, which has currently been banned for almost seven months.

Officials claim this is due to “Covid-19” concerns but other places in the country, such as Phuket, Krabi, and Bangkok have been given exceptions to the rule while Pattaya remains dry. Each area, however, has widely different rules.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/06/pattaya-tourism-and-business-associations-president-pushes-issue-on-alcohol-sales-ban-at-restaurants-and-bars-as-pattaya-events-kick-off-with-many-visitors/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is a cabal in the government that wants the post COVID 'reset' to be a tourist industry not drawing its lucre from sex tourists and pish artists, but from honest rip-affable families. How else to explain this nonsense with Pattaya's Walkink (sic) Street?

• Like 1

Sat on well populated beach at South Pattaya last night with many people participating in fun,music and alcohol no problem Police had a stroll along footpath on Beach Road none ventured onto the beach, vendors went down to those nearest footpath and they put alcohol out of view. 

Great time was had by all, time to open up I'm thinking, acting responsibly seems to be the

"New Normal" .????????

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

I have a mate in Turkey.

I told him about that Thailand wants to attract Millionaires and Billionaires.

They never mentioned in which currency is has to be.

He told me that he is a Trillionaire. (in turkish lira).

He sold up and is applying for the "thai billionaires 10 year visa, buying land etc)

98385331-FF01-4393-8865-FF2DDA0093F5.jpeg

Ha.....had to pay a hotel bill in Dalaman, Turkey. Two weeks for me and the kids, full board (years ago).....it had to be paid in cash(?).

I think it came to 3.5 billion lire......I was so scared of getting a nought in the wrong place and paying 10x over the odds I sat up all night counting it over and over again.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I have a mate in Turkey.

I told him about that Thailand wants to attract Millionaires and Billionaires.

They never mentioned in which currency is has to be.

He told me that he is a Trillionaire. (in turkish lira).

He sold up and is applying for the "thai billionaires 10 year visa, buying land etc)

98385331-FF01-4393-8865-FF2DDA0093F5.jpeg

With the current inflation in turkey he will be soon a trillionaire, and have to say thank you to erdogan, who has take care for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like the only place enforcing the alcohol ban now is Pattaya, and only in bars (coincidentally I am sure) that are not connected with the Police.   Having recently been on holiday to one of the islands (I won't say which one) covid does not exist once you are off the boat, not a face mask in sight and people openly drinking alcohol in restaurants, bars and on the beaches regardless of their connections to the police.  

I feel sorry for people who have a business here that rely on selling alcohol as I think their days are numbered.    It seems fairly obvious by allowing the music festivals with so many people crammed together on the beach that they are hoping for an increase in covid cases which will give them the perfect excuse to continue the Pattaya specific lockdown of bars.   By telling them to "prepare to open" they are feeding them false hope and worse, asking them to spend money they probably do not have restocking for an opening that they have no intention to let happen.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Pattaya business operators, led by the Pattaya Tourism and Business Association President, are asking, once again, for permission to sell alcohol in restaurants or allow the reopening of the nighttime economy following the start of the Pattaya Music Festival this weekend.

Considering the failure to tackle infections at Chonburi then I'd say no.

17 hours ago, wombat said:

Social distancing in reality...
waiting for the spike.

Are these real pictures from the Pattaya Music festival Friday and Saturday night? They seem to be at  odds with what I saw on Thai News reports. 

Well when the country of Thailand actually re opens with no restrictions, and that means

bars and entertainment centers open, then maybe more tourists and travelers will think

about coming to this developing country.

With the requirement of Thailand pass, and their PCR test on arrival, Thailand is just not ready for international

travelers. One other big snag,  is that if places like Pattaya do not get to start selling alcohol when the international

tourists and travelers arrive, there will be a lot of unhappy people who traveled a long way to enjoy a holiday

in Thailand.

Geezer