Question concerning 1 year extension of stay after I relocate to a different province.

I originally obtained a non imm O-A visa in the UK over 4 years ago and have been living in Khon Kaen since then. I have had no problems obtaining a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement each year.  Although the last 2 years I have had to buy health insurance and so after taking advice from this forum I buy the cheapest LMG health insurance.

To satisfy the financial requirements I have had over 800,000 baht in a Bangkok Bank Fixed Account and I never withdraw from it.

I need to apply for my next 1 year extension of stay 24 June 2022.

I am relocating to live in Hua in 1 week from now.

About 1 week ago my Thai girlfriend opened a Fixed account and at that time the bank assistant said she would not be able to withdraw or close the account from a branch in Hua Hin.

I was surprised by this and so have telephoned Bangkok Bank and it is correct. I actually asked about my account and was told that to withdraw money from my Fixed Account I would have to visit a Bangkok Bank branch in Khon Kaen province and I would have to have the same passport I had when I opened the account. To close the Fixed Account I would have to go to the actual branch where I opened the account but in this case I could have a new passport (my passport expires in 2023).

I am very surprised by this but can only conclude they have to do it because they do not have a good reliable National database set up? 

I now have 2 questions:-

1. Would a Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin issue me with the required bank letter that I believe verifies it is my account and what the balance is?

2. I now forget the exact financial requirement. I would still use 800,000 baht in a Thai bank but I now cannot remember how long before applying it needs to be there. Also I cannot remember the details of not letting it drop below 400,000 baht?

I do also have a savings account with Bangkok Bank with balance of 450,000 baht and so if there is any doubt I can move money from the UK to take the balance above 800,000 and to maintain it above 800,000 if that is what is needed?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Keith

For money in the bank when you attend immigration for your next extension the bank account needs to show minimum of 800k for 3 months after the day you applied for current extension. Then not falling below 400k and then back up to 800k two months prior to next extension.

I will skip the requirements regarding your bank letter and opening accounts etc. Your bank can advise. 

BTW what has your gf got to do with opening accounts etc.

The bank account must be in your name only. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For money in the bank when you attend immigration for your next extension the bank account needs to show minimum of 800k for 3 months after the day you applied for current extension. Then not falling below 400k and then back up to 800k two months prior to next extension.

I will skip the requirements regarding your bank letter and opening accounts etc. Your bank can advise. 

BTW what has your gf got to do with opening accounts etc.

The bank account must be in your name only. 

Thanks Dr Jack.

Sorry if I confused matters by mentioning my girlfriend opening a Fixed Account. It has nothing to do with me applying for my 1 year extension. It was how I found out that I cannot withdraw money or close my Fixed Account when outside of Khon Kaen province. Basically I cannot action anything on my account at a bank outside of Khon Kaen so it just now crossed my mind if a bank in Hua Hin would issue the required bank letter?

Hopefully someone will have experienced this after relocating.

• Like 1

I have just telephoned Bangkok Bank. The Customer Service person said that I can obtain the required bank letter at a bank branch in Hua Hin for my Fixed Account that I opened in Khon Kaen, as long as I bring my passbook and my passport.

I also asked again if I could withdraw money from that Fixed account at the branch in Hua Hin and she confirmed that I could not, to withdraw any money from that account I would need to visit a branch in Khon Kaen province.

So I am happy, but still find it a bit strange that can only withdraw money at a branch in Khon Kaen province.

Cheers

Keith

13 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

2. I now forget the exact financial requirement. I would still use 800,000 baht in a Thai bank but I now cannot remember how long before applying it needs to be there. Also I cannot remember the details of not letting it drop below 400,000 baht?

800K 2 months before and 3 months after anniversary, remaining 7 months minimum of 400K.

• Like 1

If that fixed account has an Orange passbook you can only make withdrawals at the counter of the BKB you opened it at. 

For general banking most have savings account with blue passbook and appropriate ATM/Mastercard etc and you can withdraw money just about anywhere. I was caught out many years back with this, put a big wad in a fixed account (orange pass book) and tried to make a big withdrawal in my wife's province for paying off building supplies. Local BKB branch there would not do it, made a bit of a pratt myself, losing my cool,.......... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

If that fixed account has an Orange passbook you can only make withdrawals at the counter of the BKB you opened it at. 

For general banking most have savings account with blue passbook and appropriate ATM/Mastercard etc and you can withdraw money just about anywhere. I was caught out many years back with this, put a big wad in a fixed account (orange pass book) and tried to make a big withdrawal in my wife's province for paying off building supplies. Local BKB branch there would not do it, made a bit of a pratt myself, losing my cool,.......... 

Thanks for confirming again Phutoie.

I only disagree on a small point that I have ben told several times now that you can withdraw from any branch in the same province that you opened the Fixed Account, but to close it you do need to go to the actual branch that you used to open it.

It does seem very restrictive and very unusual and not what we are used to in our home countries. Thailand is strange like that, immigration must have about 25 copies of the same pages of my passport, I need to give them copies when I do the 90 day report in person but for some strange reason they are not required when I do the 90 day report online (have just done one).

Some things are like living 60 years ago and are strange but I love living here.

Yes my Fixed account passbook is orange and my Current account passbook blue.