A Heads Up … Be very careful when you change your insurance to Roojai. Check if there is an age limit

JAS21

I received the following in an e-mail from Roojai about three weeks ago

Dear *******

We wish to inform you that your coverage will expire on 14th January 2022. We will not be able to renew your policy. Thank you for being a Roojai.com customer.

Any questions call 02 582 8866

Followed up by a letter saying the same a few days later.

So called Roojai and spoke to a guy called Rattichai. Initially he had no idea why the cancellation, but later came back and said that I am Driver #1 on the policy … driving is restricted to myself and my wife as we always do … and as I will be seventy six years old at renewal, that is the reason.

I did ask if there is a way around this and he said he would ask the underwriters … haven’t heard anything since.

I only changed the policy over to Roojai last year, now regretting doing that obviously. The vehicle insured is a 2015 Ford Everest, owned from new and there has never been a claim.

I’m not sure of a way forward on this situation, any ideas appreciated.  Having insurance refused will not go down well with any other company.

So fortunate that I didn’t give them our other car last year, which I was contemplating doing this year

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

but later came back and said that I am Driver #1 on the policy … driving is restricted to myself and my wife as we always do … and as I will be seventy six years old at renewal, that is the reason.

We have Roojai and the trucks in my wife's name our schedule is any driver over the age of 25.

I'm 74 so will see what happens I guess if they ask who drives it.

There was no age limit with policy maybe they have changed there future policies.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, JAS21 said:

I’m not sure of a way forward on this situation, any ideas appreciated.  Having insurance refused will not go down well with any other company.

I wouldn't worry about that too much.  Not being able to renew a policy due to the insurers age restrictions on their policies is not the same, nor as onerous, as "having insurance refused" from the point of view of that making you a bad risk.   All insurance policies end after 12 months and every insurer will ask for your age, if you're too old just go to another insurer that will cover you.   You'll need to get a better broker than Roojai, though!   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pontious said:

Why can,t you change it to any driver.?

Yes…basically the way forward.

‘Strangely’ a lady from Roojai phoned me….  Outcome is that policy will be changed to any driver over thirty years old and MrsJ as named driver…she uses it more than me anyway.

I’m fine with that…renewal price basically same as even last year has 50% NCB.

win win

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, JAS21 said:

So called Roojai and spoke to a guy called Rattichai. Initially he had no idea why the cancellation, but later came back and said that I am Driver #1 on the policy … driving is restricted to myself and my wife as we always do … and as I will be seventy six years old at renewal, that is the reason.

I was looking around to renew the insurance on my Suzuki Swift as I was not particularly happy with the cost of the insurance renewal with Viriyah, as it is a 10 year old Suzuki Swift (low mileage and in immaculate condition I may add) and they quoted the replacement car cost of 170,000 baht and an insurance cost of around 11,500 baht for me as an only driver – – this with a 40% no claims bonus.

I queried the replacement cost of 170,000 baht and asked them where on earth I could find a car of similar ilk for that sort of price, should it be written off, and they really couldn't come up with an answer (obviously).

I then went on to the Roojai online system and keyed in my details and was delighted to get a quote of just over 6000 baht, and the car replacement cost at 240,000 baht!

I was delighted with this and was about to go ahead with it, however when I was talking to the representative he mentioned that they would not insure me after the age of 75, and that is the age I will be at the end of this year!!

This was news to me and I didn't really want to change insurance companies if it was only going to be for one year. So I thought about it long and hard and I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle (I had to get a picture of the car and send it to them, but I don't have a smart phone so getting a picture is not easy) then they wanted a premium for me being able to take the car to a Suzuki dealer for repairs, should it be necessary, 

After running around and worrying about it, I went to the local office and paid for the next year with Viriyah!!!

I've come to the conclusion at my age that I really don't want any hassle and I need everything to be plain and straightforward, even if it costs more, and I'm not unduly worried about cost as I am well covered in this regard for a few years to come.

It seems as though there are a lot of pitfalls and hurdles to overcome with car insurance here, so that's why I went ahead with the old company, and peace of mind is more important to me at my time of life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I was looking around to renew the insurance on my Suzuki Swift as I was not particularly happy with the cost of the insurance renewal with Viriyah, as it is a 10 year old Suzuki Swift (low mileage and in immaculate condition I may add) and they quoted the replacement car cost of 170,000 baht and an insurance cost of around 11,500 baht for me as an only driver – – this with a 40% no claims bonus.

I queried the replacement cost of 170,000 baht and asked them where on earth I could find a car of similar ilk for that sort of price, should it be written off, and they really couldn't come up with an answer (obviously).

I then went on to the Roojai online system and keyed in my details and was delighted to get a quote of just over 6000 baht, and the car replacement cost at 240,000 baht!

I was delighted with this and was about to go ahead with it, however when I was talking to the representative he mentioned that they would not insure me after the age of 75, and that is the age I will be at the end of this year!!

This was news to me and I didn't really want to change insurance companies if it was only going to be for one year. So I thought about it long and hard and I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle (I had to get a picture of the car and send it to them, but I don't have a smart phone so getting a picture is not easy) then they wanted a premium for me being able to take the car to a Suzuki dealer for repairs, should it be necessary, 

After running around and worrying about it, I went to the local office and paid for the next year with Viriyah!!!

I've come to the conclusion at my age that I really don't want any hassle and I need everything to be plain and straightforward, even if it costs more, and I'm not unduly worried about cost as I am well covered in this regard for a few years to come.

It seems as though there are a lot of pitfalls and hurdles to overcome with car insurance here, so that's why I went ahead with the old company, and peace of mind is more important to me at my time of life.

Our insurance is with Roojai in my wifes name and any driver over 25 with a Thai full driving licence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Our insurance is with Roojai in my wifes name and any driver over 25 with a Thai full driving licence.

Lucky you Kwasaki.........I am not married so after the age of 75 they won't insure me!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2022 at 10:39 PM, xylophone said:

Lucky you Kwasaki.........I am not married so after the age of 75 they won't insure me!!

They are insuring our truck in September for any driver over 25 years main driver 75 years of age, me, so what you say doesn't seem right.