Non-O or dependent for wife?

Hi,

My (non Thai) wife and I entered Thailand on a visa exempt. We were planning to go to immigration (BKK) to apply for 2 Non-O visas.

Six years ago, we both started with non-OA visas, upon which we both got yearly extensions of stay. For these extensions of stay, I fulfilled the financial requirements and my wife got her extensions as "dependent".

My question: do we have to start with 2 Non-O's? Or can my wife immediately apply for a dependent visa (and not having to keep the 800,000 in her account)?

I don't fully understand your answer.

I understand you're saying that we both have to apply for a non-O (retirement).

But, do you mean that, after having both obtained both a Non-O based on retirement, my wife can switch to the dependent status when we apply for a yearly extension? This would be the same as we did when we did the extensions based on our previous Non-OA visas.

Or do you mean that, even after having obtained the non-O's,  it is not possible (anymore) for my wife to get an extension of stay as my dependent? Which would mean we both have to keep fulfilling the financial requirements.

Thanks for your help Ubonjoe.

@ubonjoe

For the OP situation could you outline the steps for a non Thai married couple to stay in Thailand.

So is it the case for the OP that if he was to obtain non O retirement then extension (money in bank method) then his wife cannot "piggyback" as his dependant?

Realize you have commented already. Just confused regarding married couples options. 

Edited by DrJack54

Your wife can get the same extension as you with no money in the bank.

She has to start with a Non Imm O Visa that she has to get from outside Thailand.

Meaning she has to enter Thailand with a Non Imm O Visa.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, khrai said:

@ Lite Beer 

Ah, but we entered on a visa exempt and are planning to get a Non-O here in BKK.

In normal times she would have gone to Laos or Vietnam and applied for a Non Imm O Visa.

Now it is not so easy so have no idea.

Go and have a chat with Immigration and see what they suggest.

Maybe a covid extension until borders open again.

Myself and wife (non-Thai) entered Thailand visa exempt. I applied for Non-O with 800k in bank, wife applied as my dependant. No problems. We have made multiple extensions since. Rumour mill, if wife is over 50 then maybe she would need her own Non-O visa. Not sure.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:

The non-O for my wife as a dependent was refused in November. So she got her own Non-O (retirement) using the 800K method.

Yesterday we went for our extension of stay (CW). We tried again to get the wife as a dependent. Refused, because she has a non-O based on retirement.

Thanks to an advice from Tod Banks (Thai visa advice), we will try again on our second extension next year. Apparently, it is possible, but just not on the first extension.

Will keep you informed.