The 400,000 THB 'proof of means to survive' when applying to renew a yearly non-O 'spouse/child' extension of stay.

The last time I renewed a yearly non-O dependent visa, I made sure that the 400,000 THB had been sitting in the Thai bank for at least 3 months prior.

I do, however, seem to recal the immigration officer mumble that the required minimum time was actually only 2 months.

Does anybody here have recent experience with this? Is it 2 months or 3 months that the 'savings' should lay idle in the 'proof of means to survive' Thai bank account?

Many thanks for any replies.

1 hour ago, OishiRefill said:

Does anybody here have recent experience with this? Is it 2 months or 3 months that the 'savings' should lay idle in the 'proof of means to survive' Thai bank account?

Dependent extension, 400Kbht in the bank on day of application is the requirement.

Although CM Immigration demands 2 months, same as marriage for some reason.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes 2 months prior to day of application.

Be aware that you will be given an "under consideration" stamp and return for final stamp.

Best policy is not to touch the 400k during this period, so in effect you don't have access to use that money for 3 months in total.

This is very useful advice and it sounds like nothing has changed much since the last time I had to do this. Personally, I try to apply 44 days before the expiry of the extension - to give a window of time to sort out anything unexpected. The 'earliest' one can apply is 45 days before expiry. I then got the 'under consideration' stamp and a fixed date on which I should return to get the actual year. I heard something on Integrity Legal's channel on youtube that soon, if not already, persons picking up their 'actual' extension stamps might be able to do so over a range of dates. Just commenting.....

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Be aware that you will be given an "under consideration" stamp and return for final stamp.

Best policy is not to touch the 400k during this period, so in effect you don't have access to use that money for 3 months in total.

Yes, duly noted.

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

2 full calendar months at my office. Not say from 25th August to 25th October. Must be complete months.

how odd that is

sure at CW it's to the date (not rounded up or down to the 1st of the month)

Edited by OishiRefill

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh!

So if you applied 30 days before the due date, say, the money would have to have been for in the bank for two months before the date you apply, not the date in your passport???

Sorry to ask for clarification, but had no idea that would be the case!!!

Just now, Will B Good said:

Oh!

So if you applied 30 days before the due date, say, the money would have to have been for in the bank for two months before the date you apply, not the date in your passport???

two months before the date you apply, yes

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Oh!

2 months prior to date you apply.

Same for extension retirement.

So you apply today the money would need to have been on bank for 2 months even if date of expiry of current permit was one month in the future.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

2 months prior to date you apply.

Same for extension retirement.

So you apply today the money would need to have been on bank for 2 months even if date of expiry of current permit was day one month in the future.

Cheers....you helped me dodge a bullet there.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Cheers....you helped me dodge a bullet there.

Folk should note that one thing that immigration officers are VERY fussy with is the money in bank amounts and dates.

It's always recommend to keep an amount above the required.

Sometimes a bank fee of 300 for a card or whatever can cause grief if level dips below the required amount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1