Thai Driving license Renewal

davebodo

I applied last month.  It was dead easy.  I have a work permit that I'm planning on giving up soon (going to retire), so I took both copies of my work permit and my Tabian Baan (yellow house registration book) just in case I decided to give up my work permit BEFORE the actual test date.  It turns out, at least in Phuket Town, that they weren't overly concerned and they were quite flexible.  They used my Tabian Baan by my request.

I go back on Jan 12th to take the eye test and the braking test.  The rest is done online.  You take a test online, but the very nice woman who took all of my info said, "don't worry if you get some answers wrong, you'll still pass."  ????

I don't want to assume that it's the same in BKK, but it was incredibly easy here.  Also, there weren't any other people in line.  I went in and went straight to the counter... nice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, andy said:

Has anyone tried renewing the 5 year late?  I have a 5 year that expired in late 2019.  I was not in Thailand when it expired but my plan was to get there in 2020 and renew it...yes Covid happened and I actually haven't been back to Thailand since then.

Planning to visit next month under visa exempt with Thailand Pass.  If I rock up at the DLT in Mo Chit and just say "but covid!" will I get any leeway?  Pretty sure I can still get a letter from the US embassy certifying the Thai address of my choice as long as I pay their fee...

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a bunch of people have renewed their 5-year licenses very long after they expired.  I think under the circumstances you'll be fine.  Bring as much info as you can to support your case, of course.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Galong said:

I applied last month.  It was dead easy.  I have a work permit that I'm planning on giving up soon (going to retire), so I took both copies of my work permit and my Tabian Baan (yellow house registration book) just in case I decided to give up my work permit BEFORE the actual test date.  It turns out, at least in Phuket Town, that they weren't overly concerned and they were quite flexible.  They used my Tabian Baan by my request.

I go back on Jan 12th to take the eye test and the braking test.  The rest is done online.  You take a test online, but the very nice woman who took all of my info said, "don't worry if you get some answers wrong, you'll still pass."  ????

I don't want to assume that it's the same in BKK, but it was incredibly easy here.  Also, there weren't any other people in line.  I went in and went straight to the counter... nice.

Hi Galong, I hope it turns out to be as easy as in Phuket. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galong said:

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a bunch of people have renewed their 5-year licenses very long after they expired.  I think under the circumstances you'll be fine.  Bring as much info as you can to support your case, of course.  Good luck. 

Location and visa status , so 50/50, no harm in trying

TIT

21 hours ago, Galong said:

Renewed mine 5 mths after it expired (Banglamung) having been discouraged by the DLT. Used Pattaya Klang driving school (3000 bht) next to the DLT office. They organised medical cert and I used Immigration (Jomtien) for a residency cert (300bht). School queued for me as DLT limit to 40 walk ins per day. Didn't view training video (Covid!) Did reaction depth perception and color tests. Licence cost 550bht.

• Like 2

I renewed mine last week in Chiang Mai, I'm on the retirement visa. You need a resident certificate from immigration, a medical certificate from doctor. I then registered online using my passport and watched a video in English, lasts about an hour, then came the test. Wait for it, the test was 3 questions, you then print off the pass certificate. Take this and the docs I mentioned with your existing licence to the transport office, they will then process, ask you to do a coloured light test and provide new licence there and then. When I renewed my licence had already expired by 10 months but no problem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took mine 2 months ago and it involves watching a video that is about 45 minutes long . During the video you will be asked a simple multi choice question about three times . At the end of the video they will confirm that you have passed and then on the screen will appear your unique ref; number plus a Q.R. code for you to keep in your phone . Take all the paperwork mentioned previously in other posts to your local DLT office . You will be tested on braking reaction and traffic light colours  . I would advise on watching the video on a reliable source such as a laptop rather than a mobile as if you lose the signal you will have to start all over again .

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 6:24 PM, andy said:

Has anyone tried renewing the 5 year late?  I have a 5 year that expired in late 2019.  I was not in Thailand when it expired but my plan was to get there in 2020 and renew it...yes Covid happened and I actually haven't been back to Thailand since then.

Planning to visit next month under visa exempt with Thailand Pass.  If I rock up at the DLT in Mo Chit and just say "but covid!" will I get any leeway?  Pretty sure I can still get a letter from the US embassy certifying the Thai address of my choice as long as I pay their fee...

I was 2 years over and they did not blink at the mention of covid... I had to start as if new... driving school etc.. though i did not have to do a road test... what I did have to do is a written test... you need to get 45/50 and there is no book to learn from. On some of the questions the English is so bad that I had no idea what they were asking... I did find several hundred practuce questions on the net, otherwise, I was lost.. .good luck.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 6:24 PM, andy said:

If you have your US DL then you should be ok but you may only get the first 2yr licence, if left to long. I don't understand why one needs a letter from us embassy, get a letter of residency from immigration free may take a couple of days though. 

On 11/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, Tbone999 said:

Just did it last Friday at Phuket, register / watch the online video https://www.dlt-elearning.com/People/RegisterForeigner. Go in, do your brake test (no eye test apart from recognizing the traffic light colours. No queue's (last time was a bullring circus). In at 9:30, out by 10:30. Take a copy of passport with visa, entry stamps, medical cert from a doctor, foreigner immigration address registration cert or yellow book.

Could you clarify please, you just came without apointment and did everything in one day in DLT? I am asking becasue I have two friends there. One arrived in October, and DLT gave him appointment to come in January to renew. Another one, went to DLT in early November and got appointment in Februay.  

PS. They didn't watch online video. Wondering, could it be the reason?

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 1:39 AM, Max89 said:

Could you clarify please, you just came without apointment and did everything in one day in DLT? I am asking becasue I have two friends there. One arrived in October, and DLT gave him appointment to come in January to renew. Another one, went to DLT in early November and got appointment in Februay.  

PS. They didn't watch online video. Wondering, could it be the reason?

I'm not sure why others are being given further appointments? I had been trying to get it renewed since March, 1st time got an appointment to come back in May, then told again that they were closed for foreigners and try again in 6wks. I went to work and didn't come back until late October. I did have the appointment slips from previous times, maybe that was the reason??