One year extension Thai child

Hello everyone , recently divorced i need to do this one soon . A few questions tho , on the Phuket Piv website i can read this :

Custodian extension

In case a foreigner has sole custody over a Thai child (20 years old or younger) he/she can apply for a custodian extension.

We have  shared custody so will that be a problem? ...

Papers confirming sole custody over Thai child. (birth certificate alone is not enough)
Those confirmation papers can be obtained via Thai court or your local Amphur.

Have no idea what type of paper they are talking about here ....

Thanks in advance

The wording on that site is bit wrong. You will be applying for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

There is no written requirement for you to be have sole custody of you child. Joint custody is enough and that is shown in the divorce agreement.

The sole custody example is wrong since that is only if you are not married to the mothers child.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The wording on that site is bit wrong. You will be applying for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

There is no written requirement for you to be have sole custody of you child. Joint custody is enough and that is shown in the divorce agreement.

The sole custody example is wrong since that is only if you are not married to the mothers child.

I take care of my child full time basically since born, 6 years now. I haven't (but should) go to the courts and seek full custody I guess. She might see him for an hour or so every year or two. Never sends gifts or supports in anyway. Not married to my sons mother but have a court paternity ruling, registered at the Amphur etc. What happens should my ex decided she wanted to take care of my son part time / full time.....maybe visit me on weekends etc? Under those circumstances can I still get a parental visa? I am sure once they told me only eligible for parental visa if I have 100% care...... which I thought was odd. I mean it may be the only option I have to get a visa and live here here and may have to leave my child here and go back home. Many would also no longer continue to support the child. They seem to make odd rules sometimes that are in no way in Thailand or Thai peoples benefit. What rights do I have? I doubt she will want him anytime soon but if somehow it was in her interest she may change her mind.....

Edited by Kenny202

9 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not married to my sons mother but have a court paternity ruling, registered at the Amphur etc. What happens should my ex decided she wanted to take care of my son part time / full time.....maybe visit me on weekends etc? Under those circumstances can I still get a parental visa?

Since you are the legal father of your child by having your parenthood legitimized by a court you can apply for the extension.

I suggest you talk to immigration about it since what you did is basically what their website states they want.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you are the legal father of your child by having your parenthood legitimized by a court you can apply for the extension.

I suggest you talk to immigration about it since what you did is basically what their website states they want.

I have a parental extension already, but I was under the impression you had to have 100% custody to get it. So if for example you had sheared custody or maybe only weekends etc you were not eligible for a parental visa

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have a parental extension already, but I was under the impression you had to have 100% custody to get it. So if for example you had sheared custody or maybe only weekends etc you were not eligible for a parental visa

There is no written rule you have to have full custody of your child. Many people have had them done with joint custody.

Of course there are some rogue offices insisting on full custody.

The extension is based upon being the parent of a Thai not for them living with you.