Funeral procedures

Macthehat

Hi, does anyone know the procedures with a funeral in esaan when each village contributes upon a death of a local . Ive noticed a local guy comes around and collects 20/50 baht each time upon a death and pools the money to make things a bit easier on the family involved with the loss . 

My understanding is this money is used for food for visiting mourners and any other expenses that may occur as a result of the passing away of their loved ones . 

My question is , is my assumption right or is this money used to pay monks for the service they provide during the funeral only and the family pays for all the food for the 3/5 days ?

The reason I ask is i have been roasted a few times before with bogus hospital fees and obscure money demands and now dont believe a word my ex says . 

Thansk in advance for any constructive advise or info . 

Like to add to OP question.... isaan village my (foreigner) neighbor up the road passed away at the 

ceremony his family was given sign board showing x amount of baht that helped pay for ceremony

etc, some type of Thai insurance? Anyone know about this and how about to get coverage.. getting up in age and would be away so not to burden the family in difficult times. 

My MIL does the money collection for her moo in Isaan for this "village insurance" scheme.  From what I understand, households in the village can choose whether to participate or not. Your househould would signup with whomever is in charge of it and then contribute the set amount whenever there is a covered death in the village. I do not know whether this money is directed specifically to monks or just the funeral expenses in general becuase I have never asked about it, but money is fungible and funerals are expensive.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 7:40 AM, Lite Beer said:

All the people attending will also contribute cash in an envelope.

Have you not heard all the names being read out on the last day telling everyone for miles around who gave what?

The ledger they keep for each funeral is as sharp as a bookmaker's.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, RafPinto said:

My ex's father passed away last year.

Praying for 5 days.

Food for monks and others.

People came form everywhere. Most of them, nobody from the family has ever seen.

The whole cost came to around 200,000Baht

We , at my MIL’s funeral, had relatives from 2 miles away that none of her 6 children knew?