30 day exempt to Non-O Retirement ?

Is it possible to fly in on a 30 day exempt, then convert to a non-O for retirement once in Thailand? Plan to put the 800k into a Thai bank account straight after arriving, spend a month in Thailand, go to Malaysia for a month, then come back to Thailand to apply for the retirement visa. By this time the money has been seasoned 2 months already. Is this plan feasible? As I have read you need to be in the country for 60days prior to application. So I wil l prepare:

- Updated bank book, and letter from the bank saying >800k has been deposited from overseas more than 2 months ago

- Medical Certificate

Any other docs I need to show? I had also read, you need to get the docs from the bank on the morning you apply , is this really true? As you need to be at immigration very early in the morning to do these things, so not sure how that would work? Thanks

You first step will be to apply for a non-o visa at immigration that will allow a 90 day permit stay on day it issued. The 800k baht has be in the bank on the day apply.

Requirements are here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

If you leave the country during the 90 days you will need to get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when use it to enter the country.

There is not requirement to be in the country for 60 days when you apply for the extension.

The 800k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 months of the day you apply for the on year extension. You will need a letter from the bank confirming your account and updated bank book to prove the 800k baht has been in the bank for the months. 

No need to prove it came from abroad for the extension but it will be needed for the non-o visa application. Some office will accept the letter done the day before but want the bank book updated on the day your apply.

A medical certificate is not required to apply for the visa or extension of stay unless applying at a rogue immigration office that wants it.

1 hour ago, Hami said:

As you need to be at immigration very early in the morning to do these things, so not sure how that would work? Thanks

Which immigration office do you plan on using.

Also assume that you already have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You first step will be to apply for a non-o visa at immigration that will allow a 90 day permit stay on day it issued. The 800k baht has be in the bank on the day apply.

Requirements are here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

If you leave the country during the 90 days you will need to get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when use it to enter the country.

There is not requirement to be in the country for 60 days when you apply for the extension.

The 800k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 months of the day you apply for the on year extension. You will need a letter from the bank confirming your account and updated bank book to prove the 800k baht has been in the bank for the months. 

No need to prove it came from abroad for the extension but it will be needed for the non-o visa application. Some office will accept the letter done the day before but want the bank book updated on the day your apply.

A medical certificate is not required to apply for the visa or extension of stay unless applying at a rogue immigration office that wants it.

Thanks UbonJoe ! In the case of my spouse (she has Malaysian passport, I have British passport), would she also need to show 800k in her name? So basically 2 sets of everything? I'm not sure where we'll be staying yet, it could be at my son-in-law's house in Chiang Mai (he is Thai), in which case not sure what we could show for rental agreement ??  

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office do you plan on using.

Also assume that you already have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

Chiang Mai Immigration, I don't have THai bank account yet. I plan to open one soon as I arrive. 

4 minutes ago, Hami said:

Chiang Mai Immigration, I don't have THai bank account yet. I plan to open one soon as I arrive. 

Glad I mentioned the bank account.

Opening a bank account is no longer a simple straightforward deal.

Years ago was far more easy.

Fact is that you will have a visa exempt entry stamp. 

I have been suggesting to folk doing the exempt to non O and in need of bank account to use an agent. 

This can be organized in advance.

There will be folk along to state that they opened a bank account and only had visa exempt or tourist visa entry. Fine. Ask WHEN and which bank and branch and what was required. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hami said:

Thanks UbonJoe ! In the case of my spouse (she has Malaysian passport, I have British passport), would she also need to show 800k in her name? So basically 2 sets of everything? I'm not sure where we'll be staying yet, it could be at my son-in-law's house in Chiang Mai (he is Thai), in which case not sure what we could show for rental agreement ??  

You wife can get get a non-o visa for being a member of your family and then a one year extension after you get your extension.

The problem could be her getting the non-o visa since immigration will not normally issue them and embassies have stopped issuing them due to covid 19 extension. I suggest your wife contact the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur about getting the non-o visa.