Earthing of Lights on new build ?

Orinoco

Got a question about earth on internal and external lights, on a new build.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, most lights only have 2 wires.

Had some wires installed already in house, plugs, and about 50% of lights wires?

But no earth has been installed on the lighting wiring, is this a requirement now for Thailand. ?

I ask this question as I bought all the lights internal and external yesterday and I see some of the

Internal lights, had an earth connection.  (External wall lamps no earth)

Now I think the spark has got the plugs and lights on different circuits, as I seem to have about the right about of live wires where the consumer unit will go, 14 live wires. 13 neutrals and a bunch of

Earths.  Maybe there is no requirement for earth on lights  ? or do i just get the spark to pick up an earth on the ones that have an earth connection ?

As you can tell I’m not up on electrics.

Any help with this would be of great help

Thank you

Orinoco.

Edited by Orinoco

If you have Class-1 fittings (need an earth) you can pick up from an outlet circuit, or even your building steel.

In reality, most installations don't bother with earths on lighting circuits, the lights are well out of reach and the juice should be off before you mess about with them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you have Class-1 fittings (need an earth) you can pick up from an outlet circuit, or even your building steel.

In reality, most installations don't bother with earths on lighting circuits, the lights are well out of reach and the juice should be off before you mess about with them.

Ok, that's great, Thank you for the reply. 

• Confused 1

Given the minimal additional cost of running a ground in a new build I would. I've replaced a number of old circle-light fixtures with new LEDs, and they all "required" (albeit did not receive)  ground wires. 

I would not bother adding a ground to an existing light, but on a new build I would.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 9:44 PM, BritManToo said:

If I were wiring a new house I wouldn't even bother with light switches.

Just run a live and neutral direct to each light through a wifi switch.

These were 84bht each last week, switch with your phone, Alexa or Google.

Untitled-1.jpg

LOL. What could possibly go wrong with that ( like losing your phone )?

Tech is all very well when it works, but I live by the adage that if it can go wrong it will, and usually at the worst possible time. Eg, computer cars are fine when they work, but when they go wrong you can't fix them yourself. Really great when it happens 3 hours from the nearest garage.