Rain water runoff to a dirt road

I have recently completed a new house in Chiang Rai, the land is around 30cm above the height of the dirt road. This particular public road is only soil and some stone chips similar to a farm road and has also various pot holes. To remove excess water from the land we cut 2 holes in the front wall and inserted PVC pipe so when it rains water will exit on to this road, please note no drainage system has ever existed.

At present we are not in CR and just got a call from the Poo Yai Ban's helper that people who are using that road have complained regarding the water leaving my land as they have to drive through this water when it rains, perhaps around 4in or slightly deeper in the pot holes. He told my wife we need to blank the pvc so no water can exit

When we get back next week we will go to the Or Bor Tor office and talk with staff and check what they advise. Just checking if any of you guys have been faced with the same issue ?

I can certainly sympathize with your neighbours. These dirt roads quickly erode when subjected to running water. And I'm afraid the idea from @Yellowtail would not help much either. The ditch will simply fill up with water and then it would continue to run across the road.

I'd suggest that the best solution would be install a culvert under the road using large diameter PVC piping and direct the runoff into it. It shouldn't cost very much and will keep everyone happy.

Edited by Moonlover

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I can certainly sympathize with your neighbours. These dirt roads quickly erode when subjected to running water. And I'm afraid the idea from @Yellowtail would not help much either. The ditch will simply fill up with water and then it would continue to run across the road.

I'd suggest that the best solution would be install a culvert under the road using large diameter PVC piping and direct the runoff into it. It shouldn't cost very much and will keep everyone happy.

Without surveying the area recommending a culvert under the road is pointless. You still have to dig the ditch, and if there's not grade, the culvert is just going to fill up as well. 

Once the OP gets to the property, he (or someone) can easily use a water-level or laser to figure out the grade of the property and road. If there is standing water on the road, it's a good bet it has no place to drain to on the opposite side, correct? 

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Without surveying the area recommending a culvert under the road is pointless. You still have to dig the ditch, and if there's not grade, the culvert is just going to fill up as well. 

Once the OP gets to the property, he (or someone) can easily use a water-level or laser to figure out the grade of the property and road. If there is standing water on the road, it's a good bet it has no place to drain to on the opposite side, correct? 

That is correct the land opposite me is level with the dirt road and has been unused for many years. If i blocked the PVC outlet then the water would have to go out the bottom of the gate, as its impossible to hold the rain water inside our land. I guess i need to wait and check what the office thinks when i visit them next week. 

P7151618.JPG

What you don't realize is that previous to your development of the land the rain absorption   was distributed among the whole property,  now part of the property is covered by your house and driveway, concentrating much of the runoff to certain areas mainly the PVC fence drains. You Need to mitigate this by providing some sort of drainage to the sides of the road or under it to the other side. It is an easy and inexpensive solution. 

• Like 1

It just sounds like a typical Thai reason for the " Farang " to foot the bill on some major upgrades to an existing road that the Locals have been using since the year dot without any problems.

If other properties are above the road surface ( and i suspect they all are ) then just point out that you have done nothing different to them, and that if upgrades to the Road are required you will be prepared to pay your share of the cost as long as the costs are shared between all the road users.

You cannot just divert the runoff away from your property onto somebody elses land. 

There has to be a sensible solution, but you , as a Farang will have little say, if any, in what needs to be done, and the outcome will probably cost you a load of money.

You made a simple, but large mistake in putting the stone gravel outside your Gate.

Local see, now Local want. But dont want to pay.

ABTW The local Tesaban Office is obliged to surface the road if the Dwellings are all legally built, and there are a minimum number of Houses. 

Edited by Cake Monster

OK, block off  the PVC pipe, and just let   water run off   via your driveway.    If   there is any further complaints, just point out its an act of God, or in their case  Buddha.        Really, as someone else has pointed out, they want you  to    surface the  complete road in  gravel, as  you have  at your front drive.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

That is correct the land opposite me is level with the dirt road and has been unused for many years. If i blocked the PVC outlet then the water would have to go out the bottom of the gate, as its impossible to hold the rain water inside our land. I guess i need to wait and check what the office thinks when i visit them next week. 

P7151618.JPG

From this pic, it looks like opposite is just trees on empty land. Would you be able to run a pipe across and under the road from your property having channelled the water in to that pipe on your land? With permission of course!!!! Tricky one TBH as it sounds like the locals have taken a jealous disliking to your development.......................... I'm sure the local visit by local authority will be able to sort the situation amicably though (as long as they are seen to win, it should be fine}...................................................

10 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

OK, block off  the PVC pipe, and just let   water run off   via your driveway.    If   there is any further complaints, just point out its an act of God, or in their case  Buddha.        Really, as someone else has pointed out, they want you  to    surface the  complete road in  gravel, as  you have  at your front drive.

After some thought i am going to do as you mentioned, block off the PVC outlet as they requested and divert the water to the front gate whare it can run into the gravel in a more discreat fashion.

I will also get my wife to go to the Or Bor Tor office and just get some info on what the rules are supposed to be. This ain't my first Rodeo in Thailand playing games with these clowns.

42 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It just sounds like a typical Thai reason for the " Farang " to foot the bill on some major upgrades to an existing road that the Locals have been using since the year dot without any problems.

If other properties are above the road surface ( and i suspect they all are ) then just point out that you have done nothing different to them, and that if upgrades to the Road are required you will be prepared to pay your share of the cost as long as the costs are shared between all the road users.

You cannot just divert the runoff away from your property onto somebody elses land. 

There has to be a sensible solution, but you , as a Farang will have little say, if any, in what needs to be done, and the outcome will probably cost you a load of money.

You made a simple, but large mistake in putting the stone gravel outside your Gate.

Local see, now Local want. But dont want to pay.

ABTW The local Tesaban Office is obliged to surface the road if the Dwellings are all legally built, and there are a minimum number of Houses. 

Are all expats unreasonable or is it just some in this Forum?

The OP's land is now 30 cm higher than the road, in addition, part of the land is covered by the house , If the roof has four sides. 1/4th of the rain water in that area runs to one side. in addition the driveway is paved,  All that water is concentrated to  the drainage points. One poster said it is an act of God, 

Unles the OP is God I would say all the above were as a result of the OP's actions. Looking at the gate picture, I see water running from the OP's property, where the rest of the road in the distance is dry. 

It is a simple situation to rectify without causing friction with the local population. In fact it would probably take less time to do that it did to start this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1