Anyone know what happened - Great American Rib Co. restaurants?

As best as I can tell, this long-time pair of American/TexMex style barbecue restaurants in Bangkok and Hua Hin appear to have disappeared sometime in past years.

I didn't know they were gone, until I went looking just today and found zippo. Nothing much more recent than 5-6 years back. Don't see anything online in the news about their passing.

Anyone know the story of what happened with these two restaurants, and when?

Thanks!

I do not know what happened, but I know that we miss them. We were regulars in the Hua-Hin branch. Best Barbecued Rib I ever had. It has set the standard for me what a superb rib is and has somehow even influenced the way I think about American food. I can not imagine it was the quality of the rib that made them disappear.

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

We were regulars in the Hua-Hin branch. Best Barbecued Rib I ever had.

Ha!  That's what set me looking lately, because I'm expecting to be in HH in the near future, and GARC always used to be one of my regular stops when in town... But alas, no more.

It was interesting, though, that while noodling around on the subject of BBQ there, I came across mention of another place that there that seems to be very well reviewed... But I've never been there to try it myself as yet, so can't offer any personal review...

But here's the info from Google Maps:

Screenshot_14.jpg.cf66952a708a47bc94405df7a3951673.jpg

In Bangkok meanwhile, lately, I've enjoyed doing BBQ takeout from a place called Pitbull. Never gone to the actual shop, but their BBQ pork sandwiches I've had via delivery have been quite good, as was an order of their pork ribs I tried once.

Elsewhere in BKK, there's also the Smokin' Pug restaurant, which is popular and well-known, and does good barbecue...  But neither of these two places AFAIK have the added Tex-Mex elements that GARC used to have.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I remember them from way back [maybe 20 yrs ago?] and if I am correct, there were some family health issues back then - - and they were thinly staffed at the top... 

Ya, now that you mention it, I seem to also remember hearing something from the distant past about their being some inter-family dispute over control of the business and what its future would be....

It's kind of strange how long-time and popular businesses just suddenly disappear at some point, and there often seems to be little to no public mention made of their passing. Sometimes, they even have dead FB pages left up and open long long after the actual business has disappeared.

19 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I think they are closing on the 30th, if their Facebook page is correct.

Arrrgh!!!!!   That's the cry of BBQ sauce stained hands pounding on my desktop in anguish!!!! 

Screenshot_12.jpg.cad67f503bf0af28da02883b9c68f0f5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PitBullBBQBKK/posts/1251128618732614

They've been having a half-off promotion via FoodPanda on their sandwiches and main dishes lately.... It's been a great deal....  Looks like I'd better HURRY!!!!  ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, anyone got a substitute favorite BBQ place in lieu of GARC and Pitbull???

Sounds like someone could step into this niche............................In the UK, these fairly new trending Bbq places are doing an absolute storm, queues out the door style and they're not cheap...............................

8 minutes ago, bojo said:

Sounds like someone could step into this niche............................In the UK, these fairly new trending Bbq places are doing an absolute storm, queues out the door style and they're not cheap...............................

Neither is the Smokin' Pug in BKK....

https://www.smokinpugbbq.com/menu

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

t's kind of strange how long-time and popular businesses just suddenly disappear

This used to happen in NYC - a business would be gone one day and everyone felt bad that they went out of business but in some cases they happily retired. 

If I remember correctly, the owner was rather large and not terribly mobile... then one night, I was sitting w/3 attractive females and some younger fitter fellow just walked up to the table, said 'hello' and sat down with us... he didn't say he was an owner or connected with the restaurant... in which case it might have been ok, if a bit intrusive. I remember thinking, poor social skills. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 12:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, anyone got a substitute favorite BBQ place in lieu of GARC and Pitbull???

While this place isn't a sit down BBQ joint, you can order stuff from their smoker. Located on the Darkside on a small side street.

https://www.facebook.com/SmokeyMFoods/

https://smokeymountainfoods.com/store/

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2021 at 11:47 PM, moogradod said:

We were regulars in the Hua-Hin branch. Best Barbecued Rib I ever had.

Wife and I were in Hua Hin over the Christmas-pre New Year week. Went looking for the former GARC location in Hua Hin. Somewhat to my surprise, the entire site remains empty and unused after all this time (the rear right edge corner of the photo below).

663515877_2021-12-2417_14_09.jpg.e469b5549125f212faf437a09972826e.jpg