Trip to Laos for new Non Imm O visa

I just read in the Phnom Penh Post that there was a meeting held between Thai & Laos about opening up the land border to boost business etc, it was quoted that 'Thailand has already opened its borders to vaccinated foreign nationals, including from Laos, who can now enter the country without having to spend time in quarantine', does this mean I can leave Thailand, travel to Laos, get a new visa sorted, and return without the need for quarantine etc?...Excuse the silly question, especially considering I'm practically quoting the sentence that precedes my question...am I missing something? Do they mean just Laotians? Or anybody travelling from Laos? Has anybody done a visa run recently?

Edited by MaiDong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Land border crossing are still closed. If able to enter at a land border it requires a 14 day quarantine at this time.

If entering by air and you are fully vaccinated and from a listed country you only need a one night stay in a AQ or SHA+ hotel until you get a negative covid 19 test result for a swab test done after arrival. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Nearly two months have passed since I started this thread, I was wondering, has anybody managed a trip to Laos - including a successful Non-Imm O visa application yet?

5 hours and no replies, I'll take that as a 'no' then.

7 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

5 hours and no replies, I'll take that as a 'no' then.

Fly to PP.

Do the whole thing for reenter which currently would include 7 days quarantine or use the Phuket sandbox.

Then obtain non O at immigration.

All the info for that is in many threads.

Your state this is your OP...

"Has anybody done a visa run recently?" 

I mean seriously that's out there.

Borders are currently closed.

Covid extensions may be continued and possibly your best option if available to you.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Fly to PP.

Do the whole thing for reenter which currently would include 7 days quarantine or use the Phuket sandbox.

One could seriously fly to Cambodia and back to Thailand?  Now?  Could they get a Tourist Visa in Cambodia?  How long would it take to arrange entry into Cambodia and then entry back into Thailand?

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Could they get a Tourist Visa in Cambodia?

Generally in PP it's best to use agent for TV. 

This often is not overnight like places such as Saigon. 

The OP is typing about obtaining a Non O..

IMO thinking he would be best to return to Thailand visa exempt and obtain the non O in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Be great if they opened Savanakhet in Laos for the multi entry marriage visa again soon.

Even if/when land borders open at this point the reentry requirements are unknown.

Quarantine etc.

Can't see it happening soon.

The OP made no reference to covid extensions. 

If continued might be a better option for foreseeable future.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Fly to PP.

Then obtain non O at immigration.

All the info for that is in many threads.

Your state this is your OP...

"Has anybody done a visa run recently?" 

I mean seriously that's out there.

Borders are currently closed.

Covid extensions may be continued and possibly your best option if available to you.

My non imm O expired, I'm now on covid extensions. 

That's why I was enquiring about Laos, not PP. 

Have I misunderstood your reply or have you misunderstood my OP? 

6 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

The only difference between PP and Laos would be if you were able to travel to Savannakhet is that you might be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

Until the land border crossings are open a multiple entry visa would not be easy to use to get new entries.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only difference between PP and Laos would be if you were able to travel to Savannakhet is that you might be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

Until the land border crossings are open a multiple entry visa would not be easy to use to get new entries.

Hence my question if anybody has done it recently(Savannakhet), as it seems the air borders are in fact open, but of course the whole vaccine/negative test results/quarantine thing remains.

17 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Have I misunderstood your reply or have you misunderstood my OP? 

Yes I missed the Laos part. Sorry.

Cambodia opened up flights into Phnom Penh and I had been in other threads about that.

What was your non O based on? 

If you have been on covid extensions you can apply for annual extension based on marriage or retirement if you qualify.

Are you hoping to obtain multi entry non O marriage as Savannakhet? 

Think annual extension better option.

If financials are the issue consider an agent (retirement) if 50+

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I missed the Laos part. Sorry.

Cambodia opened up flights into Phnom Penh and I had been in other threads about that.

What was your non O based on? 

If you have been on covid extensions you can apply for annual extension based on marriage or retirement if you qualify.

Are you hoping to obtain multi entry non O marriage as Savannakhet? 

Think annual extension better option.

If financials are the issue consider an agent (retirement) if 50+

Non O was for visiting family (Son, and Wife on all previous applications, but oddly, they found our Sons birth certificate first, so used that as reason to issue me my last visa...)

I didn't qualify for annual extensions when my visa was still valid.

My hope is to obtain a multi O in Savannakhet, yes.

Financials are the issue, but agents aren't my preferred option, I'll continue to get the covid extension whilst I can.

So my question remains - as the borders are open, albeit with all the shenanigans required - has anybody obtained a new Non O in Laos(Savannakhet) recently?

Edited by MaiDong

10 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Hence my question if anybody has done it recently(Savannakhet), as it seems the air borders are in fact open, but of course the whole vaccine/negative test results/quarantine thing remains.

For reopening to tourists, Laos started their Phase 1 after New Year. Tourists from specific countries are only allowed to come in on group tours with approved companies and stick to specific 'green zones'. I think that's Jan-March. Phase 2, April-June, is meant increase the green zone areas and maybe open up more border points, but not sure if it allows more freedom to arrive in the country without being in a tour group. Then Phase 3 from July is meant to make things much more open. 
From what I've read, there have not been many tour groups visiting in Phase 1, so maybe they will try to open things up a bit quicker. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

6 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

- as the borders are open, albeit with all the shenanigans required - has anybody obtained a new Non O in Laos(Savannakhet) recently?

Haven't seen one report of non O multi from Savannakhet since covid.

Also you (keep) referring to borders are open....

By borders most understand that to be land borders.

Not open to tourists as far as I'm aware. Even if possible what about reentry to Thailand. 

IMO not workable. 

Edited by DrJack54

45 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

For reopening to tourists, Laos started their Phase 1 after New Year. Tourists from specific countries are only allowed to come in on group tours with approved companies and stick to specific 'green zones'. I think that's Jan-March. Phase 2, April-June, is meant increase the green zone areas and maybe open up more border points, but not sure if it allows more freedom to arrive in the country without being in a tour group. Then Phase 3 from July is meant to make things much more open. 
From what I've read, there have not been many tour groups visiting in Phase 1, so maybe they will try to open things up a bit quicker. 

That's interesting, thanks for the info!

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Haven't seen one report of non O multi from Savannakhet since covid.

Also you (keep) referring to borders are open....

By borders most understand that to be land borders.

Not open to tourists as far as I'm aware. Even if possible what about reentry to Thailand. 

IMO not workable. 

Nope, covid extensions it is then!