Suspension Tuning

Sure

1 hour ago, Sure said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I did get a quote from BDS but don't want/need to spend nearly 100k on Ohlins.

There's no need to change most OEM suspensions unless there's a reason unless your OCD or going to go racing. 

If I knew was motorbike it was maybe I could help with the tuning but Utube Vids are usually most helpful.

• Haha 1

For forks - experiment with fork oil weight. ATF can be used also - about 7W

Mix and match to suit your needs - 5W too thin, 10W too thick, mix 1/2 and 1/2 and get 7.5W.

Rear shock - basically stuck if you do not want to replace it. A spring swap might help, as progressive springs can be ordered for popular bikes based on your load

Ohlins for my CRF - front and rear - 30K

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, seedy said:

For forks - experiment with fork oil weight. ATF can be used also - about 7W

Mix and match to suit your needs - 5W too thin, 10W too thick, mix 1/2 and 1/2 and get 7.5W.

Rear shock - basically stuck if you do not want to replace it. A spring swap might help, as progressive springs can be ordered for popular bikes based on your load

Ohlins for my CRF - front and rear - 30K

Are you serious and over a 100 kilos, I mean come on in Thailand OEM sus are good enough.

What bike is it ??? my crf 250 OEM suspension was good enough for Thailand unless you wanna go moto-cross off-road racing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sure said:

I did upgrade my old CRF to Ohlins, was worth the 30k I spent

Agree. Mine was a night and day difference. Well worth it.

Mine set up as a Super Motard and the difference in the corners on the road is amazing.

There are companies who market shock springs with progressive damping. Been posted on here before, Maxton.

Memory serves - they sell just a spring.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sure said:

I'm on a Tenere 700, weigh about 100 kg. Just wondered about upgrading the rear spring, not doing the Paris-Dakar or anything like that.

I don't get it you have a good suspension already it has full adjustment on front forks. 

The rear adjust to full preload. 

Mess about with the front until you find your own sweet spot.

1 hour ago, Sure said:

I did play around with the settings and its alot better than what it came with from the shop. Just think I could do with a stiffer spring, especially with luggage or a passenger. Not a huge issue though

Spring settings usually 1 to 7 try 2 or 3 position.

Then play with rebound.

Adjust compression if you have it using the bike manual as a guide. 

My Versys was good suspension not silly complicated and ideal for Thailands roads and a bit off road. 

The CRF250L you could adjust mechanically and was also perfectly OK for Thailand on and off road. 

My friends 500X has basic suspension but is also perfectly set up for Thailands roads. 

Your Tenere has and doesn't need anything other than you to find the adjustment to suit you to whatever riding you do which can be easily found by yourself. 

If the suspension can be adjusted to suit the load, and still remain compliant.

Jacking up the preload is not the answer.

Damping characteristics are based on fluid movement inside the shock - how can a stock shock be adjusted if compression and rebound damping adjustments are not present.

CRF stock was OK for YOU - not me, and not everyone else who has bought YSS or Ohlins

500X is a wallow wagon same same CRF. Stock is junk

35 minutes ago, seedy said:

If the suspension can be adjusted to suit the load, and still remain compliant.

Jacking up the preload is not the answer.

Damping characteristics are based on fluid movement inside the shock - how can a stock shock be adjusted if compression and rebound damping adjustments are not present.

CRF stock was OK for YOU - not me, and not everyone else who has bought YSS or Ohlins

500X is a wallow wagon same same CRF. Stock is junk

Don't agree ODC rubbish online talk, you adjust your ride to however the bike you ride behave's most OEM suspension supplied on bikes are perfectly adequate for Thailand roads. 

MotoGP upgrades are not necessary.

My Showha suspension is adequate enough for Thailand roads the suspension on the Versys and CRF was too. 

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

most OEM suspension supplied on bikes are perfectly adequate for Thailand roads.

Adequate - who wants that ? If I did I would ride a Wave, or a Scoopy.

Not how I ride, where I ride.

Which is why I changed it. The CRF rear shock is junk, just like the Forza, just like the CB650F

Sub par dampers for sub par riders

U don't want to change - Fine.

Edited by seedy
  • Haha 1

Rode a 500X with the full Rally Raid setup. It was nice compared to stock, but for what you have to pay for it you could buy a better bike.

Here is one from right here in LOS - 5200 THB. Many more online. Not hard to fit at all.

https://www.touratech.co.th/webshop/product-detail/5677-11-9-194/Progressive-Replacement-springs-for-original-shock-absorber-for-Yamaha-Tenere-700-from-2019

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Adequate - who wants that ? If I did I would ride a Wave, or a Scoopy.

Not how I ride, where I ride.

Which is why I changed it. The CRF rear shock is junk, just like the Forza, just like the CB650F

Sub par dampers for sub par riders

U don't want to change - Fine.

Maybe for you but leave girly scoots out of it, it's not a case of change, you don't change shocks that are already ok especially on a 250 , I mean come on, that's OCD in most real bikers thoughts.

2 hours ago, Sure said:

That was front and rear, said I should do both. Was about 90k 

Of course he wants you to spend as much as possible.

Just tell him how much you want to spend.

Tell him the front is good with you already.

'be fine.

Relax.

It's not Dakar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seedy said:

So .. improving a bike does make it more 'Impracticable'

Twist words around as much as you like, if someone wants to spend money on high end suspension when a bike like the Tenere 700 has good enough suspension already then up to you. 

My advice to OP would be just find the adjustments which suits you no need to do anything to an excellent bike like that.