Is it possible to link my laptop and Android phone ?

Speedo1968

When using a laptop to watch a western TV series or movie with Thai subs it often starts to delay ( revolving arrow on screen ) about 9pm.
Rarely is it possible to download the series in English let alone Thai.

If it is watched on an Android or iPhone it does not have problems with delay.

Is there a way to link the phone playing the movie directly with a laptop ?
I generally use the VLC app on my laptop for downloded music and TV series.

I connect my android tablet and my pc by with a usb data cable. This allows me to stream Netflix without any problems. I confess I have never tried tv stations.

On the phone go into settings then connections then mobile hotspot & USB tethering then USB tethering.   

It may depend on phone package you are on though if you are able to watch freely on the phone it would suggest that isn't the cause of the problem. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

I connect my android tablet and my pc by with a usb data cable. This allows me to stream Netflix without any problems. I confess I have never tried tv stations.

On the phone go into settings then connections then mobile hotspot & USB tethering then USB tethering.   

It may depend on phone package you are on though if you are able to watch freely on the phone it would suggest that isn't the cause of the problem. 

Thanks Farmerslife, Sorry if I confused you, I am not trying to watch a TV station but sites that have TV series with Thai subs.     There are many of them and they have series like The Good Doctor and 9-1-1.

I understand the bit about the phone but how I play on laptop do I go to something like VLC player ?

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you can download a mirror software to your phone from play store and then easy to mirror the devices, once mirrored what's playing on the phone will play on the TV

Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry I am not a techie, I have downloaded the VLC app on my phone and also have on my laptop how do they connect ?

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry I am not a techie, I have downloaded the VLC app on my phone and also have on my laptop how do they connect ?

what windows version do u have

8 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks Farmerslife, Sorry if I confused you, I am not trying to watch a TV station but sites that have TV series with Thai subs.     There are many of them and they have series like The Good Doctor and 9-1-1.

I understand the bit about the phone but how I play on laptop do I go to something like VLC player ?

Sorry, I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. It's not difficult to confuse me, it comes with my great age ???? l use Audials One to record and play videos from YouTube and the suchlike on my pc but it is not free software. 

9 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Sorry, I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. It's not difficult to confuse me, it comes with my great age ???? l use Audials One to record and play videos from YouTube and the suchlike on my pc but it is not free software. 

Thanks - I use where possible 4K Video Downloader or ClipGrab to download where YouTube allows these days.     For TV series Dailymotion often has what I am looking for

Sorry …. Impossible to give you an informed answer to your question or suggest solutions as you have not given much information.

e.g. Specs of your devices, inc. age, models, OS, software used to view videos, how they connect to the internet, where are your videos coming from …. 

I wonder if the buffering problem (little rotating arrow) is related to the resolution.?

Streaming services know if the download is going to a phone or PC and adjust the resolution accordingly. Youtube also do this.

So the phone resolution will be low and thus requiring lower bandwidth, whereas the laptop will probably be high resolution (possibly HD) and will require higher bandwidth.

If this is so when the phone is connected as the source you may well find the picture quality on the laptop will not be good.

If you can't stream/watch any movies on the laptop without buffering you could well look at the speed your ISP is providing you with.

There are many speed test widgets/websites available to use to check, just google speed test.

You could take your laptop to a friends who you know has a high speed connection and can watch movies without buffering, if your laptop works OK there, then it is probably your internet connection being too slow.!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Win7

I'd put money on that being your problem.

Its a very old version (12 years old) that has been superseded at least 4 times and suggests the hardware is not powerful enough for modern times. Bit like proudly proclaiming you have a Ford Model T and then wondering why you can't keep up with today's traffic.

It also is not supported security wise so it could also have viruses and malware which would slow things to a crawl and/or be plundering your personal details. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If Win 7, then your device drivers are very outdated and I expect you have little RAM.

Ideally you need 8 mb of RAM and latest drivers to handle download speed etc plus an up to date operating system ie Windows 10 /11.

Really time for a new laptop?

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi, I am not sure if this works with Windows 7 or your android phone (if it is old), but here is how I have solved the problem.

1. I have for my laptop, no internet. As I move around and need to use internet wherever I go, I decided to skip that and pay for internet on my android instead.

2. I use an AIS subscription for this. It has no restrictions in downloads or uploads on internet and In fact , it is cheaper than my friends connecting through a router, and as said, I could use it wherever I am in the country.

3. On the android you have to find out your "AIS- subscription" and connect it to your computer. Any company that sells your phone brand should be able to help you with this for free (well you could give them some tip). Then, if the "helper" did not did it, you have to go to settings on you android. Click on "other thread less connections" and then on "Internet sharing" and then, on the new page, internet sharing. And you are on your go. Of course you also could connect  through USB, but I have find this way much easier as it  sometimes is uncomfortable for me to have telephone connected  through a cable. With this solution, you could have your phone at least 20 meters from your computer. I have seldom problems with this solution only times it happens is when the internet goes down or I am in a place where Internet could not be reached. I should also say that I am connected to Internet and use it 12 - 14 hours a day.

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Bit like proudly proclaiming you have a Ford Model T and then wondering why you can't keep up with today's traffic.

Windows 7  should have no problems  its more likely that the buffering  is due to "network"

problems   maybe on the Win 7 machine to do with Wifi or LAN hardwre fault,or the ISP bandwidth or the  website server overloaded  and/combination of them.

My 2011 (hardware) running  Win XP pro 64  has no problems keeping up with youtube videos/traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

via a site such as 1337x.to or Torrent Galaxy.to

The "Pirate Bay" is still going too   but advisable to run a host file and add blocker if visiting

the actual torrents have few problems  unless you are looking for "Keys and cracks"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, csmith said:

Sorry …. Impossible to give you an informed answer to your question or suggest solutions as you have not given much information.

e.g. Specs of your devices, inc. age, models, OS, software used to view videos, how they connect to the internet, where are your videos coming from …. 

OP - Afraid I am not a "techie" ( I know I should probably know all these things having started with the black screen and green text days of the early computer in 70's ).  Had my first laptop in the 90's, a Packard Bell bought in UK, traveled for many years to different countries in Asia and beyond every month with the laptop under my arm.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bkk321 said:

You haven't given much info. I assume the laptop is on wifi and phones are 4g, if so just join the phones hotpot on your laptop and you will get similar download speed and be able to watch on your laptop. 

Sorry not a techie "What is a hotpot ?

• Haha 1