I'm in a New York state of Mind: What about you? (Hat's off to Billy Joel)

GammaGlobulin

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Both the same, the only difference is one  takes a lot longer than the other.  

Better to be boiled in a pot, and eaten, by native women, in my opinion.

In so many ways, I envy Michael Rockefeller, of NYC.

He lives on...in the women who ate him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmat_people

Edited by GammaGlobulin

New York is one of the greatest cities in the world. Whatever you are into, it is there. 

However, with spiraling inflation in the US, to live comfortably in NYC these days, you are talking $10,000 a month, and up. At $10k a month, and you are watching your budget! I know, I have lived there, and it is stupid expensive. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

New York is one of the greatest cities in the world. Whatever you are into, it is there. 

However, with spiraling inflation in the US, to live comfortably in NYC these days, you are talking $10,000 a month, and up. At $10k a month, and you are watching your budget! I know, I have lived there. 

You are correct in both cases.

NYC is the best city in the world.

NYC is too expensive to live.

PNG is cheaper, but there is no opera there.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Better to be boiled in a pot, and eaten, by native women, in my opinion.

In so many ways, I envy Michael Rockefeller, of NYC.

He lives on...in the women who ate him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmat_people

Not entirely sure that that's what happened to him, I remembered reading that years later a Caucasian male  matching his description was spotted in the area. Perhaps he was invited to dinner but was not the main course. and liked the food so much he also developed an "If I never see NYC again it would be too soon" .

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

PNG is cheaper, but there is no opera there.

That adds two more checkmarks on the Pro PNG column. 

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not entirely sure that that's what happened to him, I remembered reading that years later a Caucasian male  matching his description was spotted in the area. Perhaps he was invited to dinner but was not the main course. and liked the food so much he also developed an "If I never see NYC again it would be too soon" .

That adds two more checkmarks on the Pro PNG column. 

And then...

What about Elvis?

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Randy Newman is amazing.

I saw him play his piano in Bryn Mawr, many years ago.

Great Man!

Whoa ... Might have been at the same show, that's scary.  Saw Buddy Guy & Grover there also.

Tower theater was good for shows also, saw Bowie, Meat Loaf, Jeff Beck there.  For others, the hall only seats couple thousand people.  Another great venue was Valley Forge, w/revolving stage.

Do miss concerts, though they started getting silly priced.  That and some way off Broadway plays.

Opera ... no thanks.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Whoa ... Might have been at the same show, that's scary.  Saw Buddy Guy & Grover there also.

Tower theater was good for shows also, saw Bowie, Meat Loaf, Jeff Beck there.  For others, the hall only seats couple thousand people.  Another great venue was Valley Forge, w/revolving stage.

Do miss concerts, though they started getting silly priced.  That and some way off Broadway plays.

Opera ... no thanks.

Randy Newman & Jim Croce

MAIN POINT

Bryn Mawr

Eat your hearts out.

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Randy Newman & Jim Croce

MAIN POINT

Bryn Mawr

Eat your hearts out.

Have to add David Bromberg (can get a bit depressing) to the mix, seen at small venues & Academy of Music.  Wasn't a sports fan, and concerts were my thing.  TLA another good venue, and saw Dave Mason, Crosby & Nash there.

Brandywine Club, another, and saw Alvin Lee there ... been blessed with so many amazing shows.   NYC ... ain't got sh!t on Philly when it comes to small music venues.  And millions less trying to get tickets for ... ????

Feel sorry for the kids today, some of the c r a p they get exposed to as talent, and some of the biggest acts, nothing but a pretty face and decent voice.  Don't write or play an instrument.  SAD.

Edited by KhunLA

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have to add David Bromberg (can get a bit depressing) to the mix, seen at small venues & Academy of Music.  Wasn't a sports fan, and concerts were my thing.  TLA another good venue, and saw Dave Mason, Crosby & Nash there.

Brandywine Club, another, and saw Alvin Lee there ... been blessed with so many amazing shows.   NYC ... ain't got sh!t on Philly when it comes to small music venues.  And millions less trying to get tickets for ... ????

Feel sorry for the kids today, some of the c r a p they get exposed to as talent, and some of the biggest acts, nothing but a pretty face and decent voice.  Don't write or play an instrument.  SAD.

I once met the King of Prussia on the Paoli Local, if this might be interesting to you.

A merry old soul was he.

At The Main Point, there were no more than about 30 people listening to Randy Newman, if this might also be of interest.

I went to Uni in Philly - my first GF was from the Mainline. She was pompous and an elitist too... big beautiful mansion... though taking the bus out there you were putting your life in your hands... 

Had my first businesses in Greenwich Village, west side of NYC... interesting times back then, want no part of it now... was last there about 2004... 

Greenwich, Ct.. Mainline Philly - how many silver spoons in your collection?

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have to add David Bromberg

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

At The Main Point,

Main Point, was that the name of the little club there where I would go for the midnight show?

Love Bromberg - but one of the best shows I ever saw was a dead drunk Dave Van Ronk at midnight show... 

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Greenwich, Ct.. Mainline Philly - how many silver spoons in your collection?

I grew up very UN-mainline Philly.   Way on the other side of the tracks, even far side of Sharon Hill, as Penn Central / Amtrak divided that part of town.  And we even had blacks ... shh ... as neighbors, actually 2 out my 3 neighbors, and best folks around.  Could even use the N word back then when playing us against them in football.  

Until we realized, let's choose out sides, you're kicking our A$$ every game ... ????

Wouldn't change anything.  My neighbor, another, and myself (honky), shunned, as they were the only 2 blacks at our HS, and I the only one that hung with them.  Town border was behind my house, so all others went to a different school.

Didn't get Hi-So till I moved to GermanTown, (Memphis) TN.

Randy Newman...listening to him way before 'Short people' became a hit, and others had hits with his material.  A few more name drops; Phil Oches, and early Rory Gallagher (open for 10cc) at Tower Theater.  Faces (Rod & Beck) at the Spectrum, when you could see 4 good bands at 1 show for $5 bucks.  Start at 8pm, and end after midnight.  Now lucky if you see 1 band do a 2 hr set for $100.

Good Times

I lived in NYC in the mid to late eighties decade, I was in my late twenties and just into my thirties.   Prior to that, lived in a mid-rise in Southwest Washington DC (DC only allows low-to mid-rises), ten minute walk to the National Mall, three minute walk to the marina, i.e., a nice location.   My building was designed by IM Pei.   I thought I would pay a bit more and get less room in Manhattan when I relocated.   Boy, was I wrong, found nothing that I could afford in Manhattan (as a result of widespread rent control scams).   Ended up in a basement in Astoria Queens.  It was a great experience at my age but NYC was scary then, I saw someone murdered (bludgeoned to death) in front of me and the very recent result of a fatal stabbing (dead in the gutter) during my time.  I have been back several times for short stays.  It is even more expensive, more fast paced, and "Disneyfied" (I actually preferred when it was grotty and edgy).   I wouldn't live there again.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:17 AM, AwwYesNice1 said:

I always miss home.

259239757_380847117165367_8979219873007402220_n.thumb.jpg.eec5236056b6d2d55cc262ea92e79ee5.jpg

That is one harsh Immigration Detention Center!   ????    Lots of not-so-fresh air in the cells though.

Edited by tjintx
Spell check is my friend, spell check is my fiend, spell...

On 11/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, KhunLA said:

I grew up very UN-mainline Philly.   Way on the other side of the tracks, even far side of Sharon Hill, as Penn Central / Amtrak divided that part of town.  And we even had blacks ... shh ... as neighbors, actually 2 out my 3 neighbors, and best folks around.  Could even use the N word back then when playing us against them in football.  

Until we realized, let's choose out sides, you're kicking our A$$ every game ... ????

Wouldn't change anything.  My neighbor, another, and myself (honky), shunned, as they were the only 2 blacks at our HS, and I the only one that hung with them.  Town border was behind my house, so all others went to a different school.

Didn't get Hi-So till I moved to GermanTown, (Memphis) TN.

Randy Newman...listening to him way before 'Short people' became a hit, and others had hits with his material.  A few more name drops; Phil Oches, and early Rory Gallagher (open for 10cc) at Tower Theater.  Faces (Rod & Beck) at the Spectrum, when you could see 4 good bands at 1 show for $5 bucks.  Start at 8pm, and end after midnight.  Now lucky if you see 1 band do a 2 hr set for $100.

Good Times

I love Short People.

If you listen to Randy speak about this tune, then it is not what most people might think.

Far more benign.

Rock on Randy!

Such a talented person.

And, also, a kind heart, I believe.