Removing walls within an apartment: who decides what is allowed in a condominium?

34 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Would be surprised if any walls in a condo are structural  ( unless 40 +  years old) but the duct walls you will not be able to interfere with. The building columns are the part you cannot touch.

How many years studying structural engineering did you do then to be able to make such a statement? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your answer. Do you have any personal experience with that or know about problems from reliable people? Or is this just a guess of what might happen?

If a wall is no load bearing wall and there are not pipes in it then it should be easy and fast to rip it out. And if there is no load bearing then it shouldn't matter when that wall is gone.

In my condo they have a renovation period let's say March to September, also 9am to 4.30pm, so disrupting quiet isn't an excuse to not renovate a condo, I usually hear condo work going on every week or two.

There are rules about what you can't renovate such as building onto the balcony or even putting one of those mosquito front doors on although some condos unofficially allow it

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But even in Thailand there is a certain logic to pipes and wires.

Waste water flows from somewhere into the vertical main pipes. It is relative easy to get an idea where those pipes must be.

So funny.

When I moved into the rental condo I previously described one problem became immediately evident: the kitchen sink wouldn't drain.

OK, easy fix.

Plunger didn't work nor did whatever was done by the two crews over two days sent by juristic office. No success as well for a crew with a power snake; said they kept hitting a wall.

(This is when the new owner showed-up which enraged the agent who had lied to him about the rent I was paying; but that's another story for another day.)

When about a gallon of acid also failed to do anything but fill the unit with deadly fumes, a "maintenance engineer" was called in who scratched his head and said "Mai loo." 

Kitchen demolition ensued: counter and cabinets below reduced to scrap as it was all a single built-in.

This led to the discovery that the sink drain ran into the adjacent bathroom, under what was clearly a new shower stall floor. 

Tearing up that new floor revealed a truly stunning example of Thai problem solving.

Prior to selling, the previous owner who was back in Russia had arranged for a guy to replace the shower floor.  In so doing, the guy had somehow broken the plastic kitchen drain pipe under the shower floor.  Secure in the knowledge that the work would never be inspected, rather than replace the broken drain pipe he simply plugged the drain pipe with putty and covered it over with the new floor.  Problem solved.

"Waste water flows from somewhere into the vertical main pipes."

Not always.

• Haha 1