History of Chiang Mai Land

bamboozled

Does anyone know when this area was developed and by whom? What was the reasoning/goal? When I first started frequenting CM mid 2000s, my understanding was that it was sort of a Korean/Japanese hang out place. That is, a lot of business catering to those folks and a lot of that nighttime activities. I never had a reason to go but it seemed somewhat busy though how/why I thought that I can't really say. I guess it popped up in daily convo in CM now and again. Anecdotally, I think it's been on the decline since and my feeling is it's kind of a failure of a venture. I was just driving through the other day and thought what an ugly collection of cheaply constructed buildings laid out with little attention to beauty. But maybe that's just me. And so I started to wonder how it came to be. I'm not even sure of the size of the place or where "Chiang Mai Land" ends/begins.

I know very little about the place but it also struck me as an odd little community with the strangest mix of shops bars restaurants and residences. It was hit pretty hard by the flood 10 years ago and spiraled into decline, with no sign of recovery yet.

• Like 1

Swimming pool and tennis courts? Hmm, come to think of it, I do recall seeing some tennis courts. A bit decrepit if I remember correctly. Sort of looked like Angkor Wat. Guess it's the Kad Suan Kaew of the south side. Most of you probably don't know, but there is a Formula 1 race track on the back side of KSK. Right next to the ski slope.

Chiang Mai Land has the feel of entering a Moo Baan but then it's mostly shops and restaurants...and company headquarters/warehouses. An industrial complex of sorts...but then there were all the (are all the?) karaoke places and nightclubs/bars, too. An eclectic mix, for sure.

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Swimming pool and tennis courts? Hmm, come to think of it, I do recall seeing some tennis courts. A bit decrepit if I remember correctly. Sort of looked like Angkor Wat. Guess it's the Kad Suan Kaew of the south side. Most of you probably don't know, but there is a Formula 1 race track on the back side of KSK. Right next to the ski slope.

Chiang Mai Land has the feel of entering a Moo Baan but then it's mostly shops and restaurants...and company headquarters/warehouses. An industrial complex of sorts...but then there were all the (are all the?) karaoke places and nightclubs/bars, too. An eclectic mix, for sure.

love wandering around KSW as its like an abandoned town and with that huge hotel...and theres a theater hidden in there if i recall i saw a show decade ago---Odd couple

• Like 1