Text-and-talk Academy ?

I am planning to come to Thailand to obtain my TEFL certificate, and then to teach. My question is, has anyone here used Text-And-Talk Academy for their training,and can you give me any feedback on that experience? Good, Bad? Worth the effort and expense?

Do a search or page down through a few past pages of threads and you're likely to find more past discussion of this company. Or, I'm sure a few people will be along shortly to tell you their experiences. I've never been in one of their classes, but on the whole I've heard positive things about them.

I am planning to come to Thailand to obtain my TEFL certificate, and then to teach. My question is, has anyone here used Text-And-Talk Academy for their training,and can you give me any feedback on that experience? Good, Bad? Worth the effort and expense?

I've used them. My experience was that T&T was extremely helpful and worth the effort and expense. I suggest you approach it seriously, though, no matter which TEFL course you attend. There were a few "students" in my class who thought they'd just have to show up to get the certificate after 6 weeks - they didn't realize they'd have to study. That showed up in their performance, grades, and I dare say, their written evaluations (by the instructor) at the end of the course. A couple even complained to me about their evaluations expecting sympathy. "What did you expect?"

EW

The quality of the training will depend on the instructor. Instructors come and go so anyones past recommendations may not be relevant to the current situation.

T&T will let you do the first couple of days without paying a baht and no obligations, take full advantage of this and you're larfing.

• 4 weeks later...

When I wanted to do my TEFL / TESOL I checked out several Training schools, and decided the best two were Text-and-Talk,

and TEFL International at Ban Phe. I chose Ban Phe because I felt there were less distractions than at Pattaya.

I can recommend TEFL Int. from experience, but I have only heard positive things about T & T. But for both schools you have to study hard and there is no time for playtime until after the course.

I do not know about Text-and-Talk Academy. But TEFL Int. Have a very good free placement service for TEFL Int. trained teachers. I have been told this is completly free and is a lifetime service. They found me my first job ( well paid ) and keep in touch regarding any new teaching posts that become available.

Edited by WapiJohn

You might want to avoid the TESOL course at AUA Rachadamri.

It is very theoretical and more for advanced teachers looking for new material and challenges.

Not good for new teachers IMO.

T & T is very good from what others have told me.

Make sure whatever course you take that there are practice teaching hours

included in the course if you are new to teaching.

Don't do it. It's only good for working in Thailand.

Do the proper London Trinity one.

That's a serious accusation, if you're saying that the T&T course is not acceptable in other countries where their graduates/diplomates secured teaching jobs.

Are you saying precisely that only the Trinity course in London, England, is good and the others are not? I always get confused between the CELTA, the Cambridge, RSA, the various other names it's gone under, its franchisees. Do you care to verify or clarify your accusation?

That's a serious accusation, if you're saying that the T&T course is not acceptable in other countries where their graduates/diplomates secured teaching jobs.

Are you saying precisely that only the Trinity course in London, England, is good and the others are not? I always get confused between the CELTA, the Cambridge, RSA, the various other names it's gone under, its franchisees. Do you care to verify or clarify your accusation?

Actually PB, there are two that are internationally recognised - CELTA, as you said, and London Trinity.

Things may have changed at T&T since I knew them, and the guy who owned it.

There are too many so-called TEFL courses in Thailand.

Do you really think that employers vaue a T&T type "diploma"?

Actually PB, there are two that are internationally recognised - CELTA, as you said, and London Trinity.

Yes, I think the certificate issued by T&T, SEE, TEFL International, and other providers in Thailand are valued by employers, first of all in Thailand. Two of the people in my class went back and taught in South Korea, in Seoul. Countless other internet anecdotes have claimed similar successes by similar graduates of such courses in various countries. Now, you still haven't verified your claim, so you've got 24 hours to clearly prove it, or it will be removed, along with appropriate negative sanctions.

Yes, I think the certificate issued by T&T, SEE, TEFL International, and other providers in Thailand are valued by employers, first of all in Thailand. Two of the people in my class went back and taught in South Korea, in Seoul. Countless other internet anecdotes have claimed similar successes by similar graduates of such courses in various countries. Now, you still haven't verified your claim, so you've got 24 hours to clearly prove it, or it will be removed, along with appropriate negative sanctions.

If I have the choice I'll accept a CELTA or Trinity Qualification. IME the quality of some local courses is lacking and I know I can trust a CELTA from International House in London or other well known institution. I know I'm not the only employer who thinks this way.

Edited by haltes

Did they get their jobs because of doing this course or because they have degrees?

I've worked in schools in Helsinki and Barcelona and they would only accept CELTA or Trinity. Just sharing my experience.

I know nothing of Korea.

Maybe I am biased as I didn't do the T&T. Apologies to T&T if I am wrong.

Edited by Neeranam

Did they get their jobs because of doing this course or because they have degrees?

I've worked in schools in Helsinki and Barcelona and they would only accept CELTA or Trinity. Just sharing my experience.

I know nothing of Korea.

Maybe I am biased as I didn't do the T&T. Apologies to T&T if I am wrong.

Thanks, haltes. I'll take this as a clarification of what you were claiming, which may be a retraction, which is fine. Now you're talking about whether they had degrees, not whether they had a CELTA or a Trinity cert. Maybe we were talking about four different things at the same time. The opening post was by a poster who said he was coming to Thailand, to learn to teach and then he would teach, so we've assumed he's only asking about teaching in Thailand, where 89% of new teachers teach to students who are not the target of CELTA. But he didn't ask about Barcelona or Helsinki, or in the 1980's or the 1990's.

And this is a clear example, folks, why we hesitate to have threads about "which TEFL school in Thailand is the best if I'm still in a bedsit in Bournemouth after I went insane trying to teach in Bangkok years ago" by posters who post once and then sit back and watch us self destruct. No problem. Thread closed.