Opposition Pheu Thai party supports equal marriage rights for all genders

snoop1130

S__21774549-1024x576.jpg

Photo from matichon.co.th

The Rainbow Alliance, an advocacy group for equal rights for same-sex couples, has sought support from the opposition Pheu Thai party, to push their draft bill on equal marriage rights through parliament.

The group’s move today follows a ruling by the Constitutional Court on November 17th that only the law allowing only heterosexual marriage is constitutional. The court, however, observed that relevant agencies, responsible for enacting laws, could explore means to protect equal marriage rights.

Pheu Thai party leader Cholanan Srikaew, who accepted the Rainbow Alliance’s draft, told its representatives that the party has been working on this issue since the government of prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/opposition-pheu-thai-party-supports-equal-marriage-rights-for-all-genders/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

It's purely the lack of a democratic process that's holding it back. Very few Thai are against it, most non-army politicians endorse it. Without a coup it probably would've been approved years ago.

If there's one country ready for it it's Thailand. But it will be one of the few countries in the region. You can forget about mainly all southern neighbors to follow. There's so many things wrong in this country but at least it's not dominated by some backward religion telling people what to think.

I find that those politicians who had an army background look at the world as 1 dimension with a macho-oriented view (men and women traditional roles).

Putin is another example of an army man who opposes same sex marriage.

Edited by EricTh

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

I find that those politicians who had an army background look at the world as 1 dimension with a macho-oriented view (men and women traditional roles).

Putin is another example of an army man who opposes same sex marriage.

Agree. I don't call those people politicians though. The current Thai PM also doesn't deserve that title. Changing uniforms doesn't mean anything. I'll keep referring to him as the general until the day he is elected.

• Like 1