Huay Yai expats express disappointment at decision keeping informal settlement in area

snoop1130

settle1-696x391.jpg

The Huay Yai Municipality reportedly has issued a permit to what neighboring ex-pats can only describe as slum housing, also known as an informal settlement, according to residents who live near the community in question.

Residents of Huay Yai were stunned at a decision to allow 20 plus tin structures on 4 rai of former coconut farmland housing foreign migrant construction workers, where no construction work could be seen being immediately undertaken.

The tin structures were erected back in May of this year without a permit, according to Huay Yai ex-pat residents, therefore being an illegal development. Following residents’ complaints, the organizers of the development were reportedly given the opportunity by the Huay Yai Municipality to apply for a permit, rather than them serve a demolition and removal order which, according to them, is what concerned ex-pat residents consider should have been the correct course of action.

News this week of the permit being issued came as a shock, causing disbelief to residents as to how the municipality could give a permit to what nearby residents considered such low-quality housing and amenities. Additionally, residents of nearby communities were concerned about the current Covid pandemic being prevalent in many of these types of camps.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/25/huay-yai-expats-express-disappointment-at-decision-keeping-informal-settlement-in-area/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

News this week of the permit being issued came as a shock, causing disbelief to residents as to how the municipality could give a permit to what nearby residents considered such low-quality housing and amenities.

Why would this shock anyone?  We're below Soi dogs in Thailand.

Bottom line is, these migrants are a potential valuable source of cheap labour for the local elite and they need somewhere to stay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Bottom line is, these migrants are a potential valuable source of cheap labour for the local elite and they need somewhere to stay.

Thais for the most part respect me.  In 25 years here I've been disrespected rarely but never treated like a soi dog.  I'm an OK dude but don't go out of my way to spread goodwill and hence don't expect a great deal of respect. Actually in a couple social circles here I get much more respect than I feel I've earned.  It isn't always perfect and there are Thai jerks that are best ignored.

Why do Thais  treat you like a soi dog? I do know of a few that are treated in this manner and well, lets just say they most definitely deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would move. 

I have that luxury because I rent, and will never buy here, for the same reasons you mention in your post.

There is no "caveat emptor" (let the buy beware) in relation to property here, because there are no proper town planning laws here, and that's on top of the foreign ownership of property laws.  

Those that buy take the gamble.  Some lose.   

The western saying of "rent is dead money" is not applicable in Thailand for foreigners.  

For once you say something I can agree with, congratulations ????????

• Haha 1

Replace Burmese migrants with your choice of white retired folks here....

And guess how far the compassion would go if you down your luck, no visa, patching up a shack to stay illegally?

Surely Immigration officers would be so understanding on the way to a temporary cell and the pending deportation....

Why the double standards?

On 11/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, BangkokReady said:

Silly self pity. Foreigners generate wealth too but they are not as important  as they think  they are

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tingtong said:

Replace Burmese migrants with your choice of white retired folks here....

And guess how far the compassion would go if you down your luck, no visa, patching up a shack to stay illegally?

Surely Immigration officers would be so understanding on the way to a temporary cell and the pending deportation....

Why the double standards?

The difference being that the "white folks", as you describe them, have "no visa" and are not here legally, whereas the migrant workers are here "legally" (yeah, I know...)

On 11/29/2021 at 4:26 AM, timendres said:

The difference being that the "white folks", as you describe them, have "no visa" and are not here legally, whereas the migrant workers are here "legally" (yeah, I know...)

You have not seen their documents and know nothing about their situation but are merely judging by appearances. These people build the places we stay in doing a dirty and dangerous job. You have no right to judge them or criticize them.

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You have not seen their documents and know nothing about their situation but are merely judging by appearances. These people build the places we stay in doing a dirty and dangerous job. You have no right to judge them or criticize them.

Sensitive much? How my stating that they are here legally is some sort of judgement or criticism of those workers is beyond my comprehension. As for the implied sarcasm, it was directed at those who are exploiting those poor workers, but I suppose that was just a bit too complicated for you.