Keeping Thai Number for Thai Banking in UK

Hi All,

I am going back to the UK for a while and would like to know about keeping my Thai SIM card for Thai banking. I have AIS but remember reading somewhere that DTAC would be a better option. I think it was something to do with topping up but can't remember. Can anyone share there experience with this matter and elaborate on anything that i may not have thought about. Thanks

7 minutes ago, Steps said:

Dont you have to make a call or send an SMS within 6 months to keep it alive?

I think no. As far as I remember I never used it when abroad. Except getting messages from BKK Bank

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steps said:

Dont you have to make a call or send an SMS within 6 months to keep it alive?

I have never heard of that but then I would hold my hand up to not having read the small print. I have had my number 12 years so every chance something has changed.

I lost a UK sim by not using it for 3 months and not going to let that happen again. I would advise anyone who needs to keep the number to take some sort of precaution.

I have DTAC Thai number and Kasikorn banking -

at one time I could get OTP (one time password) using my phone in the UK- that no longer works. Is there a way of getting the OTP?

I can do most of the banking on line , but some transactions require a OTP.

14 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

I have DTAC Thai number and Kasikorn banking -

at one time I could get OTP (one time password) using my phone in the UK- that no longer works. Is there a way of getting the OTP?

I can do most of the banking on line , but some transactions require a OTP.

I had no problem in Canada this past October getting an OTP from Kbank via my DTAC phone. I had the DTAC SIM in a separate iPhone so it was always in roaming mode. But, at first, I had to select between my local providers (4 options) to get it to connect with Thailand. Had to enter Settings, then jumping to the cellular services selector. First and second providers would not connect with DTAC in Thailand. The third one worked.  I knew it worked because DTAC sent me some SMSes, welcoming me to roaming. LOL. I did 2 transactions with OTPs at different times.

I have been out of Thailand for most of past 5 years.  But have no problem at all with banking.

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn.  I use banking app on phone for both. Both apps set up in Thailand with my Thai cell number and email address.

My Thai cell service is with True, I stopped by office and had them turn on international roam for my prepaid card.  I can top up my cell card with either bank app.

Of note:  I do not receive OTP for transaction with either account.  It may have been something I elected to op out when setting up the apps, I just don't remember.  But I say this as evidence banking out side of Thailand is not necessarily dependent on operation of Thai cell service outside of Thailand.

YMMV

On AIS  you can  add 12 x 20 baht and you are good for 1 year ,

i tried  100 baht at once one time , ( like my older AIS card from 2008 bought who need 100 at once for 1 year valid )....,but that did not worked out on the new one as it gave only few months , so 12 x separate  20 for 1 year valid that worked .

• Thanks 1

Tourist pre-paid SIM with True since 2015. Top up with 50 Baht occasionally from my Thai bank account when out of the country, then:

Extend SIM validity for 30/90 days

- 30days at 3Baht, press *934*30#

- 90days at 9Baht, press *934*90#

The short codes work in EU even with data roaming off, as long as international access is enabled

HTH

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have never heard of that but then I would hold my hand up to not having read the small print. I have had my number 12 years so every chance something has changed.

I lost a UK sim by not using it for 3 months and not going to let that happen again. I would advise anyone who needs to keep the number to take some sort of precaution.

Yes O2 cancelled my UK sim without warning with 14 gbp still in it. Didn't know you had to keep using it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uroller said:

Not a sim issue but can anybody confirm that using a Thai debit card works in UK )at atm)

BKK bank, Kbank and SCB all work in foreign ATMs, you have to call the banks first to let them know you are going abroad and for how long. The exchange rate is bad and there is a charge to use the ATM.

The monthly AIS top up thing works, but the reason why folks recommend DTAC over AIS for keeping a number 'alive' is that DTAC allows you to purchase validity time.  15 Baht buys you 6 months of validity (with no top up required, it's just deducted from your balance).   It's only a 240 Bath vs. 30 Baht a year difference, but it's two 'reminders' per year vs. 12.  

I am doing what you want to do .  It I have a contract with True and roaming enabled .. I use a separate old phone with the aim card in and no problem pay the bill every month using their app  I know I could possibly use a basic top up SIM card but I got stuck with that once before and found this way gave me peace of mind  without worry . I also use that phone to have MEA app and also PEA app so can pay bills direct. What ever you do ensure roaming is activated before you leave and confirm that phone number is registered at the bank .

Hope to return to Thailand 2 years after I left due to covid .. house is just sitting empty ....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

BKK bank, Kbank and SCB all work in foreign ATMs, you have to call the banks first to let them know you are going abroad and for how long. The exchange rate is bad and there is a charge to use the ATM.

Thanks????