Thailand’s reopening fails to save businesses inside airports, AOT says

webfact

"reopening" really? with few ten of thousands of in coming tourists you call it reopening? and you expect those business in the airport to survive on those numbers? who puts out these, completely detached from reality statements i'd like to know...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The excess money ripped off out of travellers by these shops I would have thought would have kept them afloat even if they never sold another 60 baht coke, flower, stale cookie or bun for about another 20 years

Because AOT has the merchants paying high rents under a monopoly.

The whole practice should be banned you would be amazed what a $11 Turkey sandwich at LAX

contains, like one small slice of meat and a wilted leaf of lettuce.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The excess money ripped off out of travellers by these shops I would have thought would have kept them afloat even if they never sold another 60 baht coke, flower, stale cookie or bun for about another 20 years

The duty free monopoly must have taken a hit.

• Like 1

<deleted>. So where else can I buy an overpriced Lolek?

Edit:  the <deleted> above is the English colloquialism bug-ger.  Hardly a profanity I would have thought.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, RichardColeman said:

The learning curve that all airport terminal businesses can't adhere to. 

On 11/27/2021 at 6:55 AM, Captain Monday said:

Because AOT has the merchants paying high rents under a monopoly.

The whole practice should be banned you would be amazed what a $11 Turkey sandwich at LAX

contains, like one small slice of meat and a wilted leaf of lettuce.

Never liked LAX much, or what it had to offer. Loved sourdough sandwich at SFO... don't think it was any more expensive, but one of the best I've ever had... Overall SFO and Munich airport cuisine was very good, and actually not badly priced.

Completely agree with above though. The funniest to me is Warsaw airport. They have this small shop like 7-eleven... forgot the name... it has wall in the middle and sells on both sides (before and after immigration). Prices on the Poland side are reasonable... maybe 20-30% higher than shops outside airport... but the other side of the shops has all prices 5-10x higher, especially drinks which you're not allowed to take through security check... Funny enough, PAUL bakery had same prices on both sides...

Edited by tomazbodner

On 11/27/2021 at 1:30 AM, Gsxrnz said:

<deleted>. So where else can I buy an overpriced Lolek?

Edit:  the <deleted> above is the English colloquialism bug-ger.  Hardly a profanity I would have thought.

It's easy to get caught out. It would only be an issue if you only knew one meaning for that word and that was the one related to what was once an illegal act and in some places still is. 

I got a word deleted once. I can't remember the subject but I used the phrase 'falling flat on my ar**' or 'a**' if you're American. It never even crossed my mind it might be considered inappropriate. Still I'm sure everyone understood what I meant.

On the issue of businesses at airports it's difficult to voice an opinion without knowing how much it costs for the concession which would affect the profits. They might have to pay a lot for transport for staff as there won't be a pool of people living locally as there is near a 7/11 for example.

In the UK a lot of people assume petrol stations make a lot of money from selling fuel as it's very expensive here but that isn't necessarily the case particularly for small independent sites rather than supermarket ones. That's why the smaller ones often don't allow you to pay at the pump as they need you to go into the shop and buy something to make their profit.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1