New Passport, Transfer of Extension.

jacko45k

I have just renewed my UK passport. 

Can anybody with recent experience give me a heads up on what is required to move my entry stamp and retirement extension etc into the new one, at Jomtien immigration.

Need to get a move on as the Extension itself expires quite soon, and there are also a few holidays in the coming month,

TIA.

I did not think I could do the two together, as I would be unable to link my new passport to the bank account, until I get the Extension in it... or so I thought.  (I would feel better about doing them as 2 entities a few days apart., and if the transfer is a short process, I should have  sufficient time.) Copies of what in particular.... I hate being sent back and forth, especially now as they will not let people in and out freely. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I did not think I could do the two together, as I would be unable to link my new passport to the bank account, until I get the Extension in it... or so I thought.  (I would feel better about doing them as 2 entities a few days apart.) Copies of what in particular.... I hate being sent back and forth, especially now as they will not let people in and out freely. 

Copies of old passport data/visa/extension and new passport data I believe.  Link a passport to bank account must be Jomtien thing as have never heard of that from immigration and have no idea how they would do it as only banks have that information.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Copies of old passport data/visa/extension and new passport data I believe.  Link a passport to bank account must be Jomtien thing as have never heard of that from immigration and have no idea how they would do it as only banks have that information.  

I am not certain, but I thought the bank letter also had the passport number on it.... I may be a worry wort but I expected that needed to match up with the PP the new Extension was going into.

It is a decade since I last did this and that time the 2 matters were well separated. (And new passports did not take so long).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I don't have specific information for Jomtien.  This was exactly what was required in Phuket (see picture attached).

The Phuket Immigration Volunteers website also states that you must show every extension received from your original passport.  
http://piv-phuket.com/others/transfer-to-new-passport/

While I did make the extra copies stated by the PIV website I forgot to provide them and there was no problem.

I have heard that some immigration offices want copies of every Thai stamp in your old passport.  I have even heard of some offices wanting a copy of every page in your passport including blank ones.

My suggestion is to prepare the minimal copies required (as indicated in the photo attached) and be prepared to make any additional copies asked for by immigration at the office if necessary.

By the way, the transfer stamp form is also attached.  It is specific for Bangkok but should be very similar to what is used in other offices.

transferring stamps from old to new passport.jpg

transferstamp.doc

Edited by skatewash
Added transfer stamp request form.
  • Thanks 1

Just did my extension in BKK with new passport, ( I previously went 5 weeks ago to do transfer stamps ONLY, was told to return next month and do it all when doing extension ) copies both passports, in my case I had an Embassy stamp in old PP regarding the change, no letter given or needed. Take a filled out TM47 with new PP number and signed and get your 90 day reporting switched over to new PP at the same time....... Prior to immigration visit, get your banks switched over and health insurance in my case switched over to new PP. 

Edited by CANSIAM

My suggestion is to do this process in sequential steps.

1.  Get a new passport.
2.  Get the stamps transferred from old to new passport at immigration.
3.  With old and new passport get the registration of your bank accounts changed at your Thai banks to incorporate the new passport number.
4.  When the time comes for the extension get the bank letter (which does contain your new passport number) from your Thai bank.

5.  Apply for extension of stay at your immigration office.

I would personally not wish to do try to do steps 2 through 5 in one step.  Just needlessly complicating matters, it seems to me.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

they know all the bank accounts, police can easily suspend bank accounts if need be

19 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I would personally not wish to do try to do steps 2 through 5 in one step.  Just needlessly complicating matters, it seems to me.

I would get into a kerfuffle shuffling the multitude of copies and forms.......

• Like 1