ceiling fans to be fitted to newly built house

beaufoy

we are buying a new house which has a flat (slight slop ) roof ie there is no loft....it also has four lights to each room all lights being in the corners of the room.

I want a ceiling fan to be fitted in the centre of the lounge ceiling downstairs and in the centre of the main bedroom upstairs....of course in said locations there are no brackets to fit the new fan to, and no wires present which can be used for the fan  and there are no spare switches.

obviously it will be more difficult than normal ,,,,but is the job very difficult for a good electrical fitter

the people selling the house/s say there will be no problems but i do not believe them

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

We had ceiling fans fitted in the living room and the master bedroom when our house was built  15 years ago. We don't use them very much, our floor-standing fans  give much more cooling and can be directed where they are needed. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I agree, when we bought our house the previous owner installed them in every room. We never use them, totally useless. Wall and floor mount fans wotk the best for us.

Fit a ceiling fan in the lounge 4 years ago , rarely use it , fit a wall fan in the kitchen, use it everyday.

The problem with ceiling fans is you don’t feel the benefit unless you are right underneath them, floor and wall fans are much more flexible.

I could see the benefit of a ceiling fan in the bedroom over the bed .

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Not quite as nice looking as the one in the photo above though.

While not as pretty as the one in the photo they are more versatile, we have one in the sala in the garden, works very well but I agree it wouldn’t look good in a lounge or bedroom.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I agree, when we bought our house the previous owner installed them in every room. We never use them, totally useless. Wall and floor mount fans wotk the best for us.

We have one in every room and use them every day, for most of the year they are sufficient for comfortable sleeping. I agree with Dmaxdan concerning remote controls, We did not get then in ours and we regret it. Now we fight who is going to get up from bed to turn it off or On LOL. I always lose ???? 

They are easy to install and easy to run electric to them. An electrician would make short work of it. 

Pictures of the room what is on top of them would help. I have installed dozens in my lifetime and would tell you exactly what to do if you post some pictures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Fit a ceiling fan in the lounge 4 years ago , rarely use it , fit a wall fan in the kitchen, use it everyday.

The problem with ceiling fans is you don’t feel the benefit unless you are right underneath them, floor and wall fans are much more flexible.

I could see the benefit of a ceiling fan in the bedroom over the bed .

Andrew, you no doubt purchased the wrong fan, easily done as even in showroom conditions you will seldom experience a good demonstration of air flow.

Modern fancy designs which look great, are among the worst performers, especially those usually stocked in the B & B homeware s store.

We discovered the Mr Ken 4 bladed UFO design to be the best in our last house and installed 11 of them in the new house.  The air flow even on 50% power is suffient to cover a 4m x 4m area.  Remote control is a good option.

3 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Andrew, you no doubt purchased the wrong fan, easily done as even in showroom conditions you will seldom experience a good demonstration of air flow.

Modern fancy designs which look great, are among the worst performers, especially those usually stocked in the B & B homeware s store.

We discovered the Mr Ken 4 bladed UFO design to be the best in our last house and installed 11 of them in the new house.  The air flow even on 50% power is suffient to cover a 4m x 4m area.  Remote control is a good option.

Yes, I have heard good things about Mr Ken fans. As mine replaced an existing ceiling light I wanted a fan with a light which cut down my options and was somewhat swayed by the appearance ( fit in with styling of house ), the only saving grace is it has a remote.

But, it’s all good, in hindsight with more searching I would have probably found a more suitable/efficient ceiling fan.

• Thanks 1

To fit a ceiling fan as described by the OP is not difficult as the ceiling will almost certainly be suspended below a concrete slab floor with approx 25cm cavity.

Easy way to check is to remove one ceiling light and establish the depth, plus, if one has a suitible fish, you could check to see there are no beams obstructing the  centre of the ceiling.

A good installer should insert (above the drywall) a load spreader to affix the fan to.  There are several ways to do this and I'm not able to describe adequately in print form.

As for electric supply, buy a remote control which allows power to be tapped off the lighting circuit.  Easy.

2 hours ago, beaufoy said:

the people selling the house/s say there will be no problems but i do not believe them

Why would you not believe them?  Installing a celling fan isn't brain surgery.  Someone with electrical knowledge gets up in the crawl space, installs a support beam/bracket, feeds electrical wiring to the fan, and installs a on/off switch down below.  It can get dusty depending on if you want the wires to the on/off switch hidden in the wall or running outside the wall.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why would you not believe them?  Installing a celling fan isn't brain surgery.  Someone with electrical knowledge gets up in the crawl space, installs a support beam/bracket, feeds electrical wiring to the fan, and installs a on/off switch down below.  It can get dusty depending on if you want the wires to the on/off switch hidden in the wall or running outside the wall.

There is no crawl space.  Upstairs bedroom and downstairs lounge must have all installation done from below the ceiling.

UFO http://www.mrken-fan.com/product-detail/172

I have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms, very quiet and shift the air nicely.

Downstairs living area has four ceiling fans, use two daily.  

A new replacement ceiling fan I bought for my bedroom can really only be used on setting 1, too powerful..

Floor and wall fans are too noisy. Ceiling fans are a must for me...????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Presumably you are referring to the propeller types shown in the photo above?

These ceiling fans are very effective, I've found the propeller types totally turd. Yes they don't look as good, but they work

Screenshot_2021-11-28-13-47-09-148_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

Just make sure the electrician Somchai that fits the fan for you doesn't tap off the closest light fitting (which will be his preferred option) otherwise you can't use the fan unless the lights switch is on.

Don't worry about a separate switch for the fan, they virtually all now come with an IR remote control and simply need a permanent (always on) 220V supply. Mine have 3 different colored light options, 3 speeds, and timers from 1 hour to 4 hours that affect both fan and lights.

With luck Somchai can cut the hole for the fan and using anything from a trained ferret to a length of lacing wire will manage to trace a line to the closest constant 220v.

Funniest I saw was Somchai A with a large nut (as in nut and bolt) tied to a piece of string throwing the nut across about 8 metres of ceiling space to Somchai B.  You have to imagine the picture - they're both up a ladder with one arm each up a downlight hole throwing it totally invisibly  Only took them 15 minutes - 55555.

Even if they have to cut a big 30cm square of ceiling out to give working space or find a 220V cable to splice off, they will easily replace the square and plaster and paint it for you. Standard practice for working on plumbing and electrics in a building of the design you describe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McTavish said:

Mr Ken's are superb, even the cheaper ones. 

We have ceiling fans in the lounge and both bedrooms, on all day everyday, the one in the bedroom is great, very quiet, and right over the bed, I sleep like a log most nights, we have the air on for a while to cool the room then just the fan till the morning, our leccy bill is usually about 1200 baht per month, of course the hot season is a different kettle of fish ????

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, beaufoy said:

it also has four lights to each room all lights being in the corners of the room.

Are these switched in pairs or perhaps independently...?

With downlights it is possible to access the ceiling space and add additional cabling and re-do the switching arrangement to allow for the fan BUT it depends as someone has already commented, on how it is constructed.

The fans are not that heavy (usually, these days) so attaching to a timber ceiling batten would be no drama.

If steel battens were used, different story. They are usually thin as paper and not worth a crumpet unless additional timber is applied above.

Might be one of those "use floor pedestal fans" scenario......

BTW, qualified lecky here. :thumbsup: