Multi Non O based on being parent

Hello. I am a parent of daughter living in Thailand with her Thai mother. We are not together (never married), child lives and goes to school in Bangkok. I am on birth certificate and also legally the father by way of court order.

I work rotationally outside of Thailand (5-6 weeks on/off). Due to Covid situation I have only returned to Thailand twice this calendar year, staying for approximately 31 days at a time. Asides from the frustration of having to extend the 30 day exemption for the purpose of just a day or 2 (I never want an overstay), I realise I will have to again get a proper visa to avoid future problems if I keep returning circa every 5-6 weeks.

Around 3 years ago was the last time I got a Multi O from Penang. Obviously now with quarantine etc things aren’t  as straightforward as hopping on a plane and returning next day (at least they weren’t).

My predicament, to the best of my knowledge, is that it will be difficult for me to get an extension of a normal Single Non O in Bangkok as I won’t be in the country long enough each time? A single Non O on its own is of no use as I only stay maximum around 31 days.

Could anyone advise what would be the best option? Do Penang still give Multi Os based on being Parent and what would criteria be if so?

All info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Could anyone advise what would be the best option? Do Penang still give Multi Os based on being Parent and what would criteria be if so?

I think they will still do them. I think they were wanting 400 baht in any bank to issue them.

Check their website for info (not much info now): https://penang.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/114679-visa-application-form?page=5d75e28715e39c242c00625c&menu=5d75e28715e39c242c006211

The problem is traveling to Penang and back here again. At this time it would have to be done by air (land borders are closed).

You need to check the entry requirements for Malaysia and then you would need a Thai Pass to return. 

• Thanks 1

If you have enough money that the cost would not be unacceptable, a Thailand Elite membership might be an option. I have the impression that you expect to make frequent visits to Thailand over many years. Under those circumstances, Thailand Elite gives you maximum flexibility, albeit at a price.

Thanks Tim and Joe for reply. To be honest given the current circumstances and unpredictable near term future of world situation, I’m reluctant to spend so much on the Elite when I have the option of the Non O at a much cheaper cost though probably a bit more hassle to achieve. I will look into Penang and hopefully get another Multi O there. Thanks again guys. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, would it be viable to achieve a multi entry Non O visa (due to being parent) by means of:

1. Applying online for Single Entry Non O

2. Entering Thailand on Day 1. Applying for single re-entry stamp on this visa (probably at airport when leaving)

3. Departing Thailand on Day 40 for rotational work outside Thailand

4. Re-enter Thailand on Day 80-85 and immediately go to Immigration to apply for one year

extension? Then if achieved I could apply for multi entry stamp for this visa?

I don’t have permanent address in Thailand as I’m not with the mother though.

many thanks ???????? 

12 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Joe, would it be viable to achieve a multi entry Non O visa (due to being parent) by means of:

1. Applying online for Single Entry Non O

2. Entering Thailand on Day 1. Applying for single re-entry stamp on this visa (probably at airport when leaving)

3. Departing Thailand on Day 40 for rotational work outside Thailand

4. Re-enter Thailand on Day 80-85 and immediately go to Immigration to apply for one year

extension? Then if achieved I could apply for multi entry stamp for this visa?

Yes you could do that. Just be sure you have gathered together all the required documents before leaving the country for your rotation.

• Thanks 1