And The Award For Worst Value Meal In Pattaya Goes To....

Weho

SUBWAY sandwiches. They used all that processed "meat", riddled with nitrates to make it look fresh... and inexpensive ingredients for toppings, yet they charge I think 160 baht for their faux roast beef sandwich.

I know they do have some daily specials, for 69 baht, but with cheaper ingredients, but a better value, and healthier.

Their breads are surprisingly good, and the service is always fast and friendly... and you do get a "fresh" sandwich... but the 35 baht REAL roast beef sandwich from Carrefour, in the food hall area, is still the best value in town...

Another poor value: upstairs at the Royal Garden, i think it's called the "Food Hall"... no bargains up there, except the pizza is pretty good, but still expensive for I think 45 baht a slice... seems like a lot to me, but it is good...

Another poor value, #2: KFC is a bit on the high side... especially when you consider for only about 80 baht more, you can eat at the SIZZLER.

Another poor value, #3: Numero Uno, (i think from Marriott Hotel, various locations)... over night, they increased the cost of their brownie from 40 baht to 65 baht. Their salads at, I think 95 baht, are a bit high...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An Indian Restaurant on the Thrappaya Rd called Indian by Design "Not just a restaurant. It's a lifestyle" Whatever THAT means......Foods ok. But poor value.

And then there's Gianns. Next door. An Italian restaurant. Don't bother.

SUBWAY sandwiches. They used all that processed "meat", riddled with nitrates to make it look fresh... and inexpensive ingredients for toppings, yet they charge I think 160 baht for their faux roast beef sandwich.

I know they do have some daily specials, for 69 baht, but with cheaper ingredients, but a better value, and healthier.

Their breads are surprisingly good, and the service is always fast and friendly... and you do get a "fresh" sandwich... but the 35 baht REAL roast beef sandwich from Carrefour, in the food hall area, is still the best value in town...

Another poor value: upstairs at the Royal Garden, i think it's called the "Food Hall"... no bargains up there, except the pizza is pretty good, but still expensive for I think 45 baht a slice... seems like a lot to me, but it is good...

Another poor value, #2: KFC is a bit on the high side... especially when you consider for only about 80 baht more, you can eat at the SIZZLER.

Another poor value, #3: Numero Uno, (i think from Marriott Hotel, various locations)... over night, they increased the cost of their brownie from 40 baht to 65 baht. Their salads at, I think 95 baht, are a bit high...

I'd have to disagree with your assessment of KFC. It's relatively good value.

The pizza in Waves food court is mostly terrible and way overprised, but there is some nice food in that food court and it's a pleasant, clean place to eat.

Where do you get a roast beef Subway for only 160 baht? They cost me over 200.

I find the Sante Fe steakhouse in Big C (2nd Road) to be very poor value. They served me a steak that was about 25% fat. They don't even offer potatoes with a t-bone steak priced at just under 200 baht.

Edited by tropo

An Indian Restaurant on the Thrappaya Rd called Indian by Design "Not just a restaurant. It's a lifestyle" Whatever THAT means......Foods ok. But poor value.

Never had i bad meal in the several times i've been to both restaurants .

Never had i bad meal in the several times i've been to both restaurants .

Agree with Davethailand. I've eaten at both and each time they were excellent.

I'd have to disagree with your assessment of KFC. It's relatively good value.

The pizza in Waves food court is mostly terrible and way overprised, but there is some nice food in that food court and it's a pleasant, clean place to eat.

Where do you get a roast beef Subway for only 160 baht? They cost me over 200.

I find the Sante Fe steakhouse in Big C (2nd Road) to be very poor value. They served me a steak that was about 25% fat. They don't even offer potatoes with a t-bone steak priced at just under 200 baht.

I'm guessing that the Subway price of 200 baht must be the "combo", with drink and either a chips or bad cookie. Chips cost about 6 baht per bag in the market, the drink is overpriced to begin with too. And I did state the the Wave pizza was "high", but still good... I'll give that I'm no pizza expert, maybe you know more about pizza quality than i do... it is possible...

The reason I mentioned KFC is because one simply has to remove ALL of the skin on the chicken, or you may as well check into intensive care at a hospital, at once, in the cardiac ward. By the time you remove the skin, with all the taste gone too, it's just chicken meat. But the MAIN reason I have a problem with KFC is because at any price, they don't offer ANYTHING close to reasonably healthy. McDonalds's at least has a side shaker salad, not too bad, if you go "easy" on the dressing... VERY easy, that is... but KFC has NOTHING... there is some little salad, but it's all mayonaisey... another heart attack in the making. KFC fries are always greasy and just yucky to me. And whatever you do, (trust me on this)... NEVER eat those chicken nuggets ANYWHERE... if you want me to tell you how they are made, just ask... but I don't want to make you sicker than you already are.... it's YOUR choice to ask... I woudln't recommend knowing what's in them...

The reason I mentioned KFC is because one simply has to remove ALL of the skin on the chicken, or you may as well check into intensive care at a hospital, at once, in the cardiac ward. By the time you remove the skin, with all the taste gone too, it's just chicken meat. But the MAIN reason I have a problem with KFC is because at any price, they don't offer ANYTHING close to reasonably healthy. McDonalds's at least has a side shaker salad, not too bad, if you go "easy" on the dressing... VERY easy, that is... but KFC has NOTHING... there is some little salad, but it's all mayonaisey... another heart attack in the making. KFC fries are always greasy and just yucky to me. And whatever you do, (trust me on this)... NEVER eat those chicken nuggets ANYWHERE... if you want me to tell you how they are made, just ask... but I don't want to make you sicker than you already are.... it's YOUR choice to ask... I woudln't recommend knowing what's in them...

I (or anyone else I know, in fact) has never, ever been ill from a KFC or McDonalds meal. People all over the world eat McDonalds and KFC.. I eat it quite often (All the skin on the chicken , drink and some of the fries too) and I am very healthy and never ill.. So maybe its just you who is having a problem with KFC and McDonalds, I dont think they would be as busy and popular as they are if they were SOOOOOOOO deadly unhealthy and make you sick, as you say... (Just my opinion, though, not asking for you to agree :o )

I (or anyone else I know, in fact) has never, ever been ill from a KFC or McDonalds meal. People all over the world eat McDonalds and KFC.. I eat it quite often (All the skin on the chicken , drink and some of the fries too) and I am very healthy and never ill.. So maybe its just you who is having a problem with KFC and McDonalds, I dont think they would be as busy and popular as they are if they were SOOOOOOOO deadly unhealthy and make you sick, as you say... (Just my opinion, though, not asking for you to agree :o )

Sweetie, I never wrote or suggested anyone would get sick by eating at KFC or McDonald's... I was referring to long-term destruction of the arteries, by eating a lot of clogging cholesterol, fried foods, greasy foods, saturated fats, etc. Anything, in moderation, is probably OK, but I would personally recommend avoiding FRIED CHICKEN SKINS at all costs... it's just not worth it. Go visit the heart care floor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, and look who is sitting in the waiting area... the kind of people that eat ONLY KFC and McDonald's, and there are LOTS of them... Pattaya couldn't afford to support so many shinny international hospitals, if people wouldn't eat so poorly, for the hospital's benefit.

Yes, occasionally I go to McDonald's... I go cause the child's "happy meal" helps me do portion control, and not overeat. Once in a blue moon, I'll venture into KFC, but i would NEVER go anywhere near that skin...

Lastly, I appreciate your not expecting me to agree with you.

Luvley jubley = very nice indeed

We have two different spellings of both of those words... can someone verify the correct spelling for me, please... and was is the derivation of the expression.... i'm guessing British/U.K. Can anyone shed some more "light" on this gripping question?

Maybe you should get out more -try a hobby (only joking :o )

lovely jubley was famed by a guy called dereck trotter, he was the main character in hugely popular tv show called only fools and horses.

Mark

I'll guess, again, that's a British expression/show. I happen to like it... I expect to use it several times, in conversations tomorrow. I'll try to find just the right point in the conversation to say it. I wish I had some clever expression to add here... I could go through some VIZ Magazine Profanisaurus issues... but I did mention "c****e p*e"... that must count for something.

Oh, I just thought of another not so teriffic value meal in Pattaya: Starbucks has a few sandwiches, that I find overpriced... I think one is tuna, and I think it's 65 baht... and it's about 3 bites total. Decent quality and fresh, and refrigerated, and air conditioned comfort, but 65 baht for just 3 bites is TOO MUCH. S&P has a sort of similar tuna sandwich, it's 3 strips in a plastic container, about the same quality as the Starbucks one... but it's only 45 baht... still, I would say a bit overpriced for 3 bites.

But sometimes I go to Yanhee Hospital in Bangkok, for colonics, and the only place I'm willing to eat there is the tiny S&P shop downstairs in the driveway area, and I eat their tuna sandwich for 45 baht... no place to sit there, so I go to the place next door, get a bottled water and some other snack or dessert item there, and eat my overpriced tuna sandwich in air conditioned comfort, but sitting on a high stool, which I hate. (Please don't bring up "stools")... No comedians, please.

Whats a faux roast beef sandwich?

Sorry if I wasn't clear... REAL roast beef is what you get a Carrefour, for 35 baht, in their food court area stand... FAUX roast beef is what Subway sells, a few think slices of this highly processed "lunch meat", filled with nitrates, salt, and other stuff that is in natural/REAL roast beef. REAL is tastier and healthier, yet LESS expensive at Carrefour.

Also, Foodland sells sliced roast beef, REAL stuff, that is really good... but I'm not sure if they call it "roast beef", but that's what I think it is... and it's not too expensive, as it's not imported stuff, but really good.

Red beef, in moderation, is quite healthy for you... (lean, of course).

I'm guessing that the Subway price of 200 baht must be the "combo", with drink and either a chips or bad cookie. Chips cost about 6 baht per bag in the market, the drink is overpriced to begin with too. And I did state the the Wave pizza was "high", but still good... I'll give that I'm no pizza expert, maybe you know more about pizza quality than i do... it is possible...

No, the 12 inch roast beef sub, and the steak sub are both 209 without the drink and chips. I have these quite often so I'm well aware of the price.

Regarding KFC.

This is nothing more than an indulgence that I make on rare occasions to satisfy my desire for greasy fried chicken. I'm well aware that it's not healthy food. It's an indulgence like having an ice cream or a bar of chocolate. I discard any thoughts of health and enjoy it, skin and all with a large serve of french fries....YUM! The skin is by far the best part and it's the only reason why I'd buy KFC...it's the 11 secret herbs and spices, you know. I can't believe that you'd buy fried chicken and throw away the skin. My GF does that and it annoys me.

You need to take a break from worries about your arteries from time to time. Have a holiday and indulge. One of the best diets is to have a binge day from time to time where you eat whatever you like. It actually can help you stay on a restricted diet.

Thanks for the info about the roast beef sandwich. I'll look that one up next time I'm there. How large is it? What bread do they use?

Edited by tropo

Also, Foodland sells sliced roast beef, REAL stuff, that is really good... but I'm not sure if they call it "roast beef", but that's what I think it is... and it's not too expensive, as it's not imported stuff, but really good.

The roast beef at Foodland is real rare beef, but not sliced. It comes in a slab and you ask them to slice it for you. I think it's 55 baht per 100 grams. It actually has a slight smoked flavour.

Sweetie, I never wrote or suggested anyone would get sick by eating at KFC or McDonald's... I was referring to long-term destruction of the arteries, by eating a lot of clogging cholesterol, fried foods, greasy foods, saturated fats, etc. Anything, in moderation, is probably OK, but I would personally recommend avoiding FRIED CHICKEN SKINS at all costs... it's just not worth it. Go visit the heart care floor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, and look who is sitting in the waiting area... the kind of people that eat ONLY KFC and McDonald's, and there are LOTS of them... Pattaya couldn't afford to support so many shinny international hospitals, if people wouldn't eat so poorly, for the hospital's benefit.

Yes, occasionally I go to McDonald's... I go cause the child's "happy meal" helps me do portion control, and not overeat. Once in a blue moon, I'll venture into KFC, but i would NEVER go anywhere near that skin...

Lastly, I appreciate your not expecting me to agree with you.

I recomend you go to the Philippines...."CHICKEN SKINS" no meat just skins deep fryed a local specialty.

I recomend you go to the Philippines...."CHICKEN SKINS" no meat just skins deep fryed a local specialty.

I've spent a lot of time in the Philippines, but personally I'd still prefer KFC to the chicken skins you mentioned. :o:D:D

No, the 12 inch roast beef sub, and the steak sub are both 209 without the drink and chips. I have these quite often so I'm well aware of the price.

Regarding KFC.

This is nothing more than an indulgence that I make on rare occasions to satisfy my desire for greasy fried chicken. I'm well aware that it's not healthy food. It's an indulgence like having an ice cream or a bar of chocolate. I discard any thoughts of health and enjoy it, skin and all with a large serve of french fries....YUM! The skin is by far the best part and it's the only reason why I'd buy KFC...it's the 11 secret herbs and spices, you know. I can't believe that you'd buy fried chicken and throw away the skin. My GF does that and it annoys me.

You need to take a break from worries about your arteries from time to time. Have a holiday and indulge. One of the best diets is to have a binge day from time to time where you eat whatever you like. It actually can help you stay on a restricted diet.

Thanks for the info about the roast beef sandwich. I'll look that one up next time I'm there. How large is it? What bread do they use?

Then the Subway faux roast beef sandwich is even more expensive than I thought... at the Carrefour center, for LESS money, you can have a nice piece of salmon, side salad, soup, some weird kim-chee type stuff, asparagus, mushrooms, and a side bowl of rice (valued at 16 baht by itself), AT FUJI, AND get a beverage for LESS than Subway charges.

Then the Subway faux roast beef sandwich is even more expensive than I thought... at the Carrefour center, for LESS money, you can have a nice piece of salmon, side salad, soup, some weird kim-chee type stuff, asparagus, mushrooms, and a side bowl of rice (valued at 16 baht by itself), AT FUJI, AND get a beverage for LESS than Subway charges.

I agree it's far too expensive, but sometimes you've just got to have a sub at Subway. :o:D

It's about as non-Thai as you can get here.

Edited by tropo

The roast beef sandwich at carefore (car park entrance at the back) its about a 6 inch long crispy bread roll, with salad and sliced roast beef wrapped in clingfilm. I got one last week and enjoyed it. I think it would have to be eaten the same day though, as the bread might not be as yummy the next day.

Hey, dont all go for one will you, else there will be none left for muah !!!

i promise you, they are luvly jubly (or if your a londonder, you would say lavly jably) :o

lovely jubley was famed by a guy called dereck trotter, he was the main character in hugely popular tv show called only fools and horses.

Mark

I'll guess, again, that's a British expression/show. I happen to like it... I expect to use it several times, in conversations tomorrow. I'll try to find just the right point in the conversation to say it. I wish I had some clever expression to add here... I could go through some VIZ Magazine Profanisaurus issues... but I did mention "c****e p*e"... that must count for something.

Oh, I just thought of another not so teriffic value meal in Pattaya: Starbucks has a few sandwiches, that I find overpriced... I think one is tuna, and I think it's 65 baht... and it's about 3 bites total. Decent quality and fresh, and refrigerated, and air conditioned comfort, but 65 baht for just 3 bites is TOO MUCH. S&P has a sort of similar tuna sandwich, it's 3 strips in a plastic container, about the same quality as the Starbucks one... but it's only 45 baht... still, I would say a bit overpriced for 3 bites.

But sometimes I go to Yanhee Hospital in Bangkok, for colonics, and the only place I'm willing to eat there is the tiny S&P shop downstairs in the driveway area, and I eat their tuna sandwich for 45 baht... no place to sit there, so I go to the place next door, get a bottled water and some other snack or dessert item there, and eat my overpriced tuna sandwich in air conditioned comfort, but sitting on a high stool, which I hate. (Please don't bring up "stools")... No comedians, please.

starbucks tuna sandwich...i had one a few days ago at the motorway outlet. I didnt count the bites but I would estimate that it took around 6 bites per slice and being 2 slices thats 12 in total.

65 baht / 12 = 5.4 baht per bite.

Having done that little exercise I now consider the sandwich was good value.

:o