And The Award For Worst Value Meal In Pattaya Goes To....

Weho

guys we are in Thailand, if you pay more or even same here for food than you would back home then it is a complete rip off, everything here should be 1/3 of the price........everything, the mugs that pay for this rip off are ruining it for everybody.........somebody is making a pile of money from the stupid falang here and it is probably a falang

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do so many of you consider only cheap meals to be good value? Are you a few slices short of a loaf?

I would consider a decent cut of steak, well cooked & presented, for 400B far better value than a 69B microwaved piece of rubber from a food court.

Soundman.

guys we are in Thailand, if you pay more or even same here for food than you would back home then it is a complete rip off, everything here should be 1/3 of the price........everything, the mugs that pay for this rip off are ruining it for everybody.........somebody is making a pile of money from the stupid falang here and it is probably a falang

care to give some examples?

If I buy a USDA prime aged steak here ... why would it be 1/3 less than in the USA? Or something with advocados etc etc?

I (or anyone else I know, in fact) has never, ever been ill from a KFC or McDonalds meal. People all over the world eat McDonalds and KFC.. I eat it quite often (All the skin on the chicken , drink and some of the fries too) and I am very healthy and never ill.. So maybe its just you who is having a problem with KFC and McDonalds, I dont think they would be as busy and popular as they are if they were SOOOOOOOO deadly unhealthy and make you sick, as you say... (Just my opinion, though, not asking for you to agree :o )

hahahahaha

[ps: The last two CEO's of McDonalds are both dead, at least one who made a boast of eating it every day]

Mr Bell became CEO just hours after his predecessor and close friend, James Cantalupo, died of a heart attack during a management meeting in April aged 60. Nine days later, Mr Bell was diagnosed with cancer.

The damage takes time, so I guess you are young and still spunky, but yeah it tastes great....

This thread is headed 'Award for Worst Value Meal in Pattaya' and for me that definitely means Sizzler. Do not go there any more because for the last three visits my wife, daughter and myself were on the throne for hours afterwards.

'Luverly Jubbly' - from 'Only Fools and Horses' which can be seen daily in the mornings on large-screen TV at Crazy Dave's in Soi Chaiyapoon - where the big breakfast is GOOD value for money.

Agre with Soundman that cheap does not mean good value / expensive does not mean poor value. A good meal with first class ingredients and a well-trained cooking staff is going to cost more than a bowl of soup off a cart. But both can be good value. Equally you can pay a lot for rubbish - as in most franchise houses from Fuji to KFC / McDonalds to Subway. I like MK for some meals - early lunch when shopping, for instance - but generally I avoid all franchises except Swensons.

I never tried that one at Jomtien, but i did have fish n chips at a small coffee shop on the outskirts of soi bouakow market, (right near the CD stall).

The fish n chips were so small it was a joke, and they served it with sweet coleslaw and a large slice of melon, all on the same plate. the melon was bigger than the fish n chips put together. jeez. i dunno, thailand (english) food at some places seems to be sweet, its like they put sugar in it instead of salt.

Even some of the bread is sweet - yuk.

I am gonna stick to Neeroys fish n chips, they are the best for me, and his bread is lovely too. I hate sweet (savoury) food.

This thread is headed 'Award for Worst Value Meal in Pattaya' and for me that definitely means Sizzler. Do not go there any more because for the last three visits my wife, daughter and myself were on the throne for hours afterwards.

'Luverly Jubbly' - from 'Only Fools and Horses' which can be seen daily in the mornings on large-screen TV at Crazy Dave's in Soi Chaiyapoon - where the big breakfast is GOOD value for money.

Agre with Soundman that cheap does not mean good value / expensive does not mean poor value. A good meal with first class ingredients and a well-trained cooking staff is going to cost more than a bowl of soup off a cart. But both can be good value. Equally you can pay a lot for rubbish - as in most franchise houses from Fuji to KFC / McDonalds to Subway. I like MK for some meals - early lunch when shopping, for instance - but generally I avoid all franchises except Swensons.

what's wrong with FUJI? would you care sharing with us? i like this japanese res.

Edited by thai_narak

what's wrong with FUJI? would you care sharing with us? i like this japanese res.

I agree, the food in Fuji is very good and it's super clean. All kitchen staff wear masks.

If you go past the set meals it's not even cheap. The set meals are just a way to promote the place to the "cheaper" diners.

Edited by tropo

care to give some examples?

If I buy a USDA prime aged steak here ... why would it be 1/3 less than in the USA? Or something with advocados etc etc?

That's a good point. If we desire Farang food which I'm sure most of us do from time to time, we would expect the cost to be more than it is back at home as the ingredients are often imported.

Why should imported USA, Australian and New Zealand steaks be cheaper here than back at home.

I buy a lot of imported products at Foodland, and in all cases I'm paying more for them than I do back at home (Australia, New Zealand).

lovely jubley was famed by a guy called dereck trotter, he was the main character in hugely popular tv show called only fools and horses.

Mark

I'll guess, again, that's a British expression/show. I happen to like it... I expect to use it several times, in conversations tomorrow. I'll try to find just the right point in the conversation to say it. I wish I had some clever expression to add here... I could go through some VIZ Magazine Profanisaurus issues... but I did mention "c****e p*e"... that must count for something.

Oh, I just thought of another not so teriffic value meal in Pattaya: Starbucks has a few sandwiches, that I find overpriced... I think one is tuna, and I think it's 65 baht... and it's about 3 bites total. Decent quality and fresh, and refrigerated, and air conditioned comfort, but 65 baht for just 3 bites is TOO MUCH. S&P has a sort of similar tuna sandwich, it's 3 strips in a plastic container, about the same quality as the Starbucks one... but it's only 45 baht... still, I would say a bit overpriced for 3 bites.

But sometimes I go to Yanhee Hospital in Bangkok, for colonics, and the only place I'm willing to eat there is the tiny S&P shop downstairs in the driveway area, and I eat their tuna sandwich for 45 baht... no place to sit there, so I go to the place next door, get a bottled water and some other snack or dessert item there, and eat my overpriced tuna sandwich in air conditioned comfort, but sitting on a high stool, which I hate. (Please don't bring up "stools")... No comedians, please.

starbucks tuna sandwich...i had one a few days ago at the motorway outlet. I didnt count the bites but I would estimate that it took around 6 bites per slice and being 2 slices thats 12 in total.

65 baht / 12 = 5.4 baht per bite.

Having done that little exercise I now consider the sandwich was good value.

:o

You must take small bites... the Starbucks tuna sandwich comes with two 1/2 sandwiches... no more than 3 bites per 1/2. Maybe 4 bites if you under, about 60 pounds.

Why do so many of you consider only cheap meals to be good value? Are you a few slices short of a loaf?

I would consider a decent cut of steak, well cooked & presented, for 400B far better value than a 69B microwaved piece of rubber from a food court.

Soundman.

I thought you were above replying to my threads, yet you do if over and over... Oh well...

Mignon's (the steak place, on Teppraya Road, just before Jomtien), has a good imported steak meal, about 400 baht... very good quality... but it's not air conditioned, but after 7 pm, it isn't too hot... it's a good value, but Sizzler has an imported steak, WITH the salad bar, and WITH air conditioning, for, I think 560 baht... a fair value compared to other places that have imported beef.

I thought you were avoiding my threads, cause you thought i was a troll... oh well..

I agree with the first part of your last paragraph. I know the best value, probably IN ALL OF ASIA... it's in Bangkok, and it's a five star hotel that has a restaurant where EVERYTHING left, after 6 PM, is 1/2 price... and the prices are low to start with, cause it's not a full service restaurant... Sorry, I won't share it... it's MY little secret. CLUE: a major international that has daily flights to/from Bangkok has their crew stay there nightly.

Supposedly Japanese food.

But geared to the American Sushi bar set.

I am currently working for a Saudi-Japanese consortium and we get a lot of decent Japanese food (home-cooking) that does not consist of mercury-laden raw fish, seaweed or fat gooey noodles.

I have a 'thing' about most franchises as the food is generally bought in bulk by the franchise lessor, sent out to all the lessees and is not fresh when cooked (defrosted / re-heated) let alone when served.

The frozen T Bone steaks in foodland are gorgeous, a decent sized one for about 100 bt. i recently had to stay in hospital and when i got home somebody made me one, i licked the bone clean - it was lovely.

Yes, Foodland's beef is good... even the Thai beef is pretty good, but their imported stuff is EXTRA good, and worth the extra price.

They have good lean hamburger meat there too, not too expensive... my dogs LOVE it, in moderation.

Foodland has great fish too... the salmon fillet is a bit expensive... now you're making me hungry.

I thought you were avoiding my threads, cause you thought i was a troll... oh well..

I agree with the first part of your last paragraph. I know the best value, probably IN ALL OF ASIA... it's in Bangkok, and it's a five star hotel that has a restaurant where EVERYTHING left, after 6 PM, is 1/2 price... and the prices are low to start with, cause it's not a full service restaurant... Sorry, I won't share it... it's MY little secret. CLUE: a major international that has daily flights to/from Bangkok has their crew stay there nightly.

The Nana ? :o

I have never accused you of being a troll.

A weary, lacking-a-proper-life septic, maybe. But not a troll.

All your food requirements seem to be met by Western chains of hotels / restaurants.

Get away from them - get into the local food - wherever you are. The local food usually suits the local climate and is usually the freshest stuff. (Kimchee excepted).

The only time local food has not agreed with me was in Nigeria, where the gharry (Ibo staple of porridge-like cassava) is absolutely revolting.

Eat local - eat fresh - eat cheap - eat healthy.

Even a Saudi goat-grab is something to enjoy.

I think HB doesn't like FUJI because I said I liked it... and HB is putting down ALL fast food places, which is wrong, as in moderation, they can be not "rubbish", but rather tasty, and there are a few healthy selections out there at fast food places. Some people like to put down fast food places, to make themself look SUPERIOR to the rest of us low-lifes. But trust me... they go there, just like the rest of us...

I've never been to MK, not sure why I avoid it... there's something about it that makes me queezy... that's based on superstition and nothing else...

I know this is a Pattaya based grumble WeHo, but allow me this.

If you want to feel as if you have been kicked in the wallet by a gang of bikers just go to Tony Romas on the corner of soi 5 Bangkok.

I thouight the waiter had forgotton half of my order when it arrived. A half chicken that looked as if they had strved it to death and a miserly half a corn cob.

Then the bill came followed by six bikers to kick my wallet to death.

Supposedly Japanese food.

But geared to the American Sushi bar set.

I am currently working for a Saudi-Japanese consortium and we get a lot of decent Japanese food (home-cooking) that does not consist of mercury-laden raw fish, seaweed or fat gooey noodles.

I have a 'thing' about most franchises as the food is generally bought in bulk by the franchise lessor, sent out to all the lessees and is not fresh when cooked (defrosted / re-heated) let alone when served.

:o come to think of it I have NEVER seen Japanese people in Fuji! That should be answer enough :D

Ok Guys! Lets roll. The thread is as good as over. His worship JDRIGHTSWORTH of Little Rightington, Rightsville has put it all in perspective.

Why we don't all just submit our posts to the Rightness office and have JD set us straight is beyond me.

The frozen T Bone steaks in foodland are gorgeous, a decent sized one for about 100 bt. i recently had to stay in hospital and when i got home somebody made me one, i licked the bone clean - it was lovely.

considering foodland is not the cheapest for food in pattaya then you have made my point for me, why should you pay 500baht for the same in a resturant, that's a 5X mark up, I do buy meat in foodland and also Carrfor, the local stuff is fine.

and for those that buy imported beef and lamb etc fair enough, personally I like the local produce and that's what you get in most resturants whether they claim it is imported or not, rule of thumb is that places where Thais don't eat are elevated, placess where mostly thais eat are priced correctly, I'm glad they don't have dual pricing

I believe there are two economies here in Pattaya, Thai and Falang, Thais would very rarely eat or shop in Falang type places unless a lady with falang hubby or BF, if you as a falang can eat and shop in Thai places then you will find things very very cheap.

Edited by gharknes

Ok Guys! Lets roll. The thread is as good as over. His worship JDRIGHTSWORTH of Little Rightington, Rightsville has put it all in perspective.

Why we don't all just submit our posts to the Rightness office and have JD set us straight is beyond me.

:D Thanks .... now that the flames are rolling over me ...... :o

I bought a fully imported Japanese shabu shabu steak from Villa. On special for 9859B per kilo, this steak cost me 3150B. Cooked it up & I have to say that allthough it tasted OK, it was bad value for money.

Soundman.

I know this is a Pattaya based grumble WeHo, but allow me this.

If you want to feel as if you have been kicked in the wallet by a gang of bikers just go to Tony Romas on the corner of soi 5 Bangkok.

I thouight the waiter had forgotton half of my order when it arrived. A half chicken that looked as if they had strved it to death and a miserly half a corn cob.

Then the bill came followed by six bikers to kick my wallet to death.

I would guess you ordered some overpriced appetizers, and lots of cocktails... I've gone a few times to the Tony Romas inside Siam Paragon, just order the 1/2 rack... it comes with several good sized sides, and all the fresh warm bread and garlic butter you want... I think it was 395 baht for that, which is about 100 baht MORE than Pattaya's Great American Rib on Teppresit... I would call Tony Roma's fair, almost reasonable. But if you deviate from one main course with all the included sides, I would just declare bankruptcy on the spot.

:o come to think of it I have NEVER seen Japanese people in Fuji! That should be answer enough :D

And you know what: I've never seen anyone from Kentucky working at KFC, nor have I seen any Americans working at McDonald's...

And I'll bet there isn't really an "Auntie Anne"...

And Benihana probably is staffed by Thais as well. just guessing.