Component prices up of computers but not all

robblok

Bit strange how things work, the Geforce RTX 3080 i bought a while back for 25Kbt is now 65k !!!! ( i knew that there are shortages of chips) so up a lot.

The liquid cooling i have went up from 5k to 7.5 k.

However i needed a new m2 SSD (needed more space) the 2tb SSD i had cost around 20k when I bought it now i can get a 4tb SSD m2 format for around the same price.

But strange that some things went up a lot while other things got cheaper. I wonder why.

Same with cars in Canada.

A lot of people are reporting buying pickup trucks in 2018 and selling back to dealerships for same or higher price then they bought. Basically they got paid money to drive for the past 3 years. 

The global supply chain is broken. 

My wife deals with Seagate a lot. They are scrambling for parts.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Same with cars in Canada.

A lot of people are reporting buying pickup trucks in 2018 and selling back to dealerships for same or higher price then they bought. Basically they got paid money to drive for the past 3 years. 

The global supply chain is broken. 

My wife deals with Seagate a lot. They are scrambling for parts.

Yes, i know and i read why. However my point was that the m2 SSD drives did go down in price but the other parts i mentioned not. 

So it must be a partial shortage or maybe better production process for the SSD.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes, i know and i read why. However my point was that the m2 SSD drives did go down in price but the other parts i mentioned not. 

So it must be a partial shortage or maybe better production process for the SSD.

But graphics card have been in huge demand since crypto. That also plays a big role.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Bit strange how things work, the Geforce RTX 3080 i bought a while back for 25Kbt is now 65k !!!! ( i knew that there are shortages of chips) so up a lot.

The liquid cooling i have went up from 5k to 7.5 k.

However i needed a new m2 SSD (needed more space) the 2tb SSD i had cost around 20k when I bought it now i can get a 4tb SSD m2 format for around the same price.

But strange that some things went up a lot while other things got cheaper. I wonder why.

Not really strange.

Graphic cards are extreme expensive since people use them for crypto mining and not so much for gaming.

SSD become more common and prices go down and capacity goes up - same since many years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not really strange.

Graphic cards are extreme expensive since people use them for crypto mining and not so much for gaming.

SSD become more common and prices go down and capacity goes up - same since many years.

Yes, but crypto was already being mined before. I mean i bought it about year ago. Its not as if crypto mining started the last year. But I agree it will drive up demand.

It's called inflation.  Governments world-wide say it's not true.  You say commodities and retail goods have increased by 100% and more.  The government will say only 1.5%. Well maybe 6.5%.   If you disagree perhaps you are labeled a conspiracy theorist <I know you are not>  Governments are quintessential liars.  But what can you do?  And welcome to the conspiracy theorist club.  Facts mean nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

are they made with the same technology? m.2 SATA is much slower than m.2 AHCI and very much slower than m.2 NVMe, so it is OK for 4TB m.2 SATA to cost less than 2TB m.2 NVMe

• Like 1

Thanks for the first hand report.

I know the topic from the news only.

Graphic cards in the news since quite a while.

Chip shortage seriously affecting car production.

And the "funny" explanation: it's NOT the high tech/high end chips from Intel, TSMC (Taiwan) or the like but fairly simple analog chips from Texas Instruments (US).

Of course it's connected to the Covid crisis, cancelled orders ("just in time" religion), shipment disruption etc.

Today I read that the latest RAM chips (DDR5) are on short supply.

53 minutes ago, fdsa said:

are they made with the same technology? m.2 SATA is much slower than m.2 AHCI and very much slower than m.2 NVMe, so it is OK for 4TB m.2 SATA to cost less than 2TB m.2 NVMe

Both were NVMe (dont use sata got 2 NVMe slots on my mobo)

30 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for the first hand report.

I know the topic from the news only.

Graphic cards in the news since quite a while.

Chip shortage seriously affecting car production.

And the "funny" explanation: it's NOT the high tech/high end chips from Intel, TSMC (Taiwan) or the like but fairly simple analog chips from Texas Instruments (US).

Of course it's connected to the Covid crisis, cancelled orders ("just in time" religion), shipment disruption etc.

Today I read that the latest RAM chips (DDR5) are on short supply.

I was actually surprised by the change, i mean a bit more expensive is ok but triple the price scared me a bit.

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've found PC parts to be more or less the same price (or cheaper) than 20 years back.

Although recently I've taken to using integrated processor graphics to save money.

Processors/mobos/storage are the cheapest they've ever been IMHO.

I was talking about the SAME graphical card that i bought in October last year costing 3 times as much now in november this year. 

As for the rest yes i agree computer prices stay more or less the same you just get more.

As for your integrated graphics, use it when you don't game or want to run multiple 3 in my case screens at the same time. I plays games and use 3 screens 2x 32 and 1x 43 for work. So I like a good graphics card.

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

AFAIK the inside is the same, or very similar. It is the interface that varies between a SATA and M.2 NVMe device.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Both were NVMe (dont use sata got 2 NVMe slots on my mobo)

15 hours ago, briley said:

AFAIK the inside is the same, or very similar. It is the interface that varies between a SATA and M.2 NVMe device.

I think you've got confused with definitions. I'm not talking about 2.5inch SATA drives but about "m.2" ones.

The interface is called "m.2" and it's the same for all 3 types of drives, but the technology inside is different, as well as drives' speed and thus their price.

m2.png.87f913ed0dcacd71d3660848af2fe5c9.png

m.2 NVMe > faster than m.2 AHCI > faster than m.2 SATA

Edited by fdsa

Thanks for pointing it out but i checked all were PCIE NVMe 

the sata thing did throw me off. But as i always go for fastest and best i always end up with the NVMe. Why go for slow if the rest of the computer is super fast.