Malpractice in Thailand - What to do

ArcticFox

Let's discuss medical malpractice in general terms.  If a doctor makes a misdiagnosis or if given the conditions the doctor fails to suggest the proper follow-on treatments or regular examinations given a condition that can lead to even a more serious condition - what are your options should you end up with the more serious condition?    If a doctor is not thorough or is negligent.  What are one's options? 

19 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Let's discuss medical malpractice in general terms.  If a doctor makes a misdiagnosis or if given the conditions the doctor fails to suggest the proper follow-on treatments or regular examinations given a condition that can lead to even a more serious condition - what are your options should you end up with the more serious condition?    If a doctor is not thorough or is negligent.  What are one's options? 

Slim - the medical professionals in Thailand stick together, proving malpractice is extremely difficult as its extremely difficult to secure an expert witness in such cases. 

Historically, serious cases have been settled out of court and usually to those powerful or connected enough to make sufficient waves. 

One of my Wife’s friends (famous) tried to sue the hospital after her son had broken his arm... 

In hospital the arm was set in plaster and Mum & Son sent home. 

A short time later when having the plaster removed the mum asked why the shape of the upper arm was different. 

A second x-ray showed that the arm had been broken in two places. Should a parent have known that ? maybe, but a medical professional at hospital should definitely have noticed. 

There are others on this forum better placed to offer advice, but I do know and have heard that its very difficult to take on the medical professionals in Thailand for malpractice. 

--------

I’ve had previous issues (Samitivej) where I simply ‘ran the pediatrician off’ after they’d misdiagnosed my son in front of me, I was ‘researched enough’ (google) to recognise some rubbish and contradictions - the Doctor admitted her mistake, but it was too late, I demanded someone with better experience and in the end was able to converse with an incredibly astute, highly intelligent, excellent paediatrician.

My take away is that some are just better than others and we have to watch them carefully.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Slim - the medical professionals in Thailand stick together, proving malpractice is extremely difficult as its extremely difficult to secure an expert witness in such cases. 

Historically, serious cases have been settled out of court and usually to those powerful or connected enough to make sufficient waves. 

One of my Wife’s friends (famous) tried to sue the hospital after her son had broken his arm... 

In hospital the arm was set in plaster and Mum & Son sent home. 

A short time later when having the plaster removed the mum asked why the shape of the upper arm was different. 

A second x-ray showed that the arm had been broken in two places. Should a parent have known that ? maybe, but a medical professional at hospital should definitely have noticed. 

There are others on this forum better placed to offer advice, but I do know and have heard that its very difficult to take on the medical professionals in Thailand for malpractice. 

--------

I’ve had previous issues (Samitivej) where I simply ‘ran the pediatrician off’ after they’d misdiagnosed my son in front of me, I was ‘researched enough’ (google) to recognise some rubbish and contradictions - the Doctor admitted her mistake, but it was too late, I demanded someone with better experience and in the end was able to converse with an incredibly astute, highly intelligent, excellent paediatrician.

My take away is that some are just better than others and we have to watch them carefully.

Indeed.  Must remember someone always graduates at the bottom of the Class, including doctors!

• Like 1

Your options are to:

1 - try to negotiate a settlement yourself with the doctor and/or the hospital

2 - get a lawyer to do the above, with the threat of a lawsuit

3 - if above fails, then sue. May take years on end, and settlements in Thailand tend to be small - nothing for pain and suffering, no reimbursement of legal costs etc. Not unusual for the doctor to counter-sue for defamation.

I do know of people who got something, usually just reimbursement of additional medical costs. It is nothing like in the west.

You can also lodge a complaint with the Medical Council but that won't get you any financial compensation.

16 minutes ago, Pravda said:

One of the main reason why I don't want to do hiatal hernia here, but will wait for Canada. Not because it's free, but at least if they screw up they'll try and fix it. Here it will be your fault.

Thats convenient if you're heading home soon and are in no rush to return.

Hernias are a pretty standard operation. 

If your insured and know of a descent private hospital wouldn't it be more practical to have it done here now?

You don't want to put this off to long.

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thats convenient if you're heading home soon and are in no rush to return.

Hernias are a pretty standard operation. 

If your insured and know of a descent private hospital wouldn't it be more practical to have it done here now?

You don't want to put this off to long.

It's a hiatal hernia, not an inguinal or umbilical one.

Big difference in the complexity of the operation/risks and also the necessity of operating.

Also big cost difference.